Best ems vent right now?

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I’ve been tasked with finding vents for our trucks. I’m looking for something that allows settings to be tailored to our patients, but would prefer something that’s not needlessly complicated..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hamilton T1 is a fantastic ventilator with pretty much every feature one could need and can be programmed by your agency to only allow approved modes. They are expensive and the circuits are expensive.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The Zoll Z Vent is excellent. Much less featured than a T1 but if you aren't doing CCT where you are trying to match complex vent settings I think it works very well. Comes with a nice case as well.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
LTV 1050

Kidding

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
The LTV was a good vent...

Thanks all, I have the local zoll rep dropping one of those off.. I don't even know who to contact about hamilton..
Honestly it could/can do a lot. But I hated using the thing. Just bulky and heavy. I do hear the zoll vent isn't user friendly when trying to do BiLevel but I don't have any personal experience.

Hamilton should have a rep you could call. Just have to find it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For EMS, I agree that the Zoll Z vent is a good choice. It's not too difficult to use and if you're a little creative, it's not too bad to set up for BiLevel. That being said, these things aren't going to match ALL the modes you might find in hospital so... good vent for EMS, not great but useable for CCT. I have to use one for CCT...

Side point, the Z vent has a bit of an odd sound to it while it is in use. From what I understand, it's because its internal mechanisms are a bit different which allows it to be reasonably compact.

My vote for a good EMS vent is the PLV-102... if you're looking for an ancient boat anchor vent.

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Very impressed with the Zoll demo, have the Hamilton guy coming out in January. Chief already budgeted for 2 for a first quarter purchase.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Just learned and started using the Hamilton T last month. Pretty darn easy to use. They also have a lot of great online training for their vent and practice scenarios on their website.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just learned and started using the Hamilton T last month. Pretty darn easy to use. They also have a lot of great online training for their vent and practice scenarios on their website.
Yep. Their online simulator is free to use and one can easily create scenarios and have others set the vent according to patient condition.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
The Hamilton does have a few interesting quirks. In particular, the inability to get a true plateau pressure. This can be challenging and require some alterations in how providers are trained and educated. That being said it is a fine option for a transport ventilator.

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I must say, I was quite impressed with the T1.. I love that the start screen asks for patient height and then calculates TV settings based on IBW, very nice feature..

Is the ASV mode really as awesome as they claim?

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
I must say, I was quite impressed with the T1.. I love that the start screen asks for patient height and then calculates TV settings based on IBW, very nice feature..

My concern is that the user still needs to set fundamental elements like the percentage of minute ventilation desired, ETS , PIP and PEEP. These can be complex choices at times. Our medical directors do not want us to use it , but anecdotally I feel like it is often a reasonable option in adult patients without complex ventilatory needs. I think other cases might benefit from more nuanced control over mechanical ventilation. Also as mentioned the T1 can not obtain a plateau pressure traditionally, and often not at all with difficult ventilation scenarios. I would want users to have a firm understanding of resistance and compliance in particular when choosing ventilator parameters. I certainly hope ASV is not seen as a "set it and forget it" type option.

And just to be clear, I do think it is a great vent. Very user-friendly but just a few quirks of operation that need specific education and training. It's costly but if you can get or borrow a nicer test lung it really aids understanding.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
Oh I don't even know if it has been mentioned but the Hamilton T1 works excellently for NIV. Complete game changer vs the LTV1200 or Revel. Don't know if you care about the nitty gritty details but basically people are way more comfortable, it is more intuitive to make changes like altering rise time and ETS and 02 consumption is far far lower even with superior leak compensation. Works great for positive pressure support prior to induction as well. I can think of more than a few patients that would have been otherwise intubated who we were able to transport on NIV after changing to the T1. Also far superior for younger children, especially if you will be carrying neonatal circuit

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

If you have a very simple patient then ASV should work very well but I will admit my company does not use ASV so my experience with it is null aside from the online Hamilton class about ASV. As @ChristopherM stated the T1 is amazing with NIV. We also carry the Hamilton H900 so we can do HFNC from the T1 up to 60LPM at 100% FiO2.