Best cure for a hangover

BillyBonebrake

Forum Probie
A friend in college suffered kidney damage from a MVA and needed dialysis for a few months while his kidneys recovered. He'd go in hungover and come out fresh as a daisy. Kind of an expensive cure, though. EMS hungover must suck, though. Thankfully, I never get in that situation.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
A friend in college suffered kidney damage from a MVA and needed dialysis for a few months while his kidneys recovered. He'd go in hungover and come out fresh as a daisy. Kind of an expensive cure, though. EMS hungover must suck, though. Thankfully, I never get in that situation.

I personally wouldn't go out drinking with kidney damage/dialysis the next morning but for each their own...

BillyBonebrake

Forum Probie
Ahh but we're talking about an alcoholic ... long since in recovery, thankfully.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Being on dialsysis and not following fluid restrictions is a great way to end up receiving an inpatient dialysis treatment.

kevin1988

Forum Probie
I drink 4 44oz cups of water, take a couple of tylenol, take a pee(very important step here folks) and sleep.

The morning routine consists of another 44 oz cup of water, mexican food (carne asada burrito usually) and maybe a monster.

Works 9 out of 10 times.

For the times I fall asleep before drinking water, a cup of water and a jack and coke seems to work best. Then you can follow the beginning steps. This is assuming you don't work that day.

Nothing is worst than a hangover with a partner that just received their drivers status. Damn sirens never seem to go away.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Four 44oz cups of water seems like a really good way to get hyponatremia, not cure a hangover.

CFal

Forum Captain
When one of my coworkers would show up to work hungover they would stick an IV in them.

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
Not drinking alcohol is the best cure for a hangover. We always tell the drinkers we pick up that the O2 at 15 liters via a ANR is the best cure! But it is really because we don't want to smell their breath!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Not drinking alcohol is the best cure for a hangover. We always tell the drinkers we pick up that the O2 at 15 liters via a ANR is the best cure! But it is really because we don't want to smell their breath!

I am going to assume that is a joke and that you do not actually do that with your patients. But I am probably wrong... <_<

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
Yep, it is a joke. We give them O2 because they need it. Usually because they have been drinking and driving and crash and are injured. Or drink too much and crash from a ETOH overdose. The ANR does help us though when they have alcohol on board and smell like the inside of a bottle.
However, I did have someone who actually told me that O2 really helped them when they had a hangover. You could try it and see:)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
The ANR does help us though when they have alcohol on board and smell like the inside of a bottle.

I am not familiar with the term "ANR", is it some type of mask? If so, that is a great way to help a intoxicated person aspirate vomit. I highly doubt the average intoxicated patient requires oxygen at a flow rate greater than what a Nasal Cannula can deliver.

Come to think of it I have used a NRB @ 15lpm exactly once in the past 3 months of work. And I have very sick patients with multiple cardiopulmonary problems including PEs, Pulmonary Edema, and COPD.

That one patient ended up on a HHFNC @ 60lpm. Talk about high flow :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I am not familiar with the term "ANR", is it some type of mask? If so, that is a great way to help a intoxicated person aspirate vomit. I highly doubt the average intoxicated patient requires oxygen at a flow rate greater than what a Nasal Cannula can deliver.

Come to think of it I have used a NRB @ 15lpm exactly once in the past 3 months of work. And I have very sick patients with multiple cardiopulmonary problems including PEs, Pulmonary Edema, and COPD.

That one patient ended up on a HHFNC @ 60lpm. Talk about high flow :wacko:

I'm thinking she means "A Non Rebreather." I had a rather long response to that post at the ready, but I held back because I knew you'd be coming back with some comments on the subject.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I'm thinking she means "A Non Rebreather." I had a rather long response to that post at the ready, but I held back because I knew you'd be coming back with some comments on the subject.

Oxygen administration is one of my many soapboxes :rofl:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Need I say more?

A470A8D3AAD956D33ECFD24078B86_h316_w628_m5_cSBPPHUmQ.jpg

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
McDonald's Extra Value Meal. Must be a QPC or double cheeseburger with a bigass Coke.

Get the grease in.

Go to bed with lots H20 on board.

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
ANR: ADULT NON-REBREATHER. PNR: PEDIATRIC NON-REBREATHER

I have been an EMT for 30+ years and the patients who I give O2 to need it. It is only recently that the O2 rule has changed to low dose instead of 15 liters. Many other changes have come about as well. Maybe by the time you have been around that long you will see many changes as well. By the way; where is your closest trauma center or major hospital? Mine is 150 miles away. And if you pay attention to your trauma patient who has a non-rebreather on you can keep them from aspirating on their vomit.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
jyvuruzy.jpg

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

I have been an EMT for 30+ years and the patients who I give O2 to need it. It is only recently that the O2 rule has changed to low dose instead of 15 liters. Many other changes have come about as well. Maybe by the time you have been around that long you will see many changes as well. By the way; where is your closest trauma center or major hospital? Mine is 150 miles away. And if you pay attention to your trauma patient who has a non-rebreather on you can keep them from aspirating on their vomit.

Thank you for clarifying. I have always heard it referred to as NRB.

Hmm should I take the high road on this one.......Nah. I haven't gotten any infractions in a while.

The fact that you have been an EMT longer than I have been alive does not impress me nor does it reassure me that you are appropriately administering oxygen to your patients.

You are right that many EMS protocols for oxygen administration have just recently changed and reduced the use of high flow oxygen. They are only a decade or so behind the times. What would we do without that "02 rule" :rolleyes:

Your nearest trauma center is 150 miles away, so around 2 hours? After that transport with a NRB, or ANR, @ 15lpm your patient's P02 will be around...400. Awesome. Hello free radicals. (Free radicals are bad)

My nearest ER is two floors down. Which usually takes around 2 hours with our stupid hospital elevators. I do not get what transport time has to do with it.

Patients can spontaneously vomit with little or not warning. Even if you are sitting directly next to them you may not be able to get the mask off in time. Now if your patient gets aspiration pneumonia then they may legitimately need that NRB.

We give them O2 because they need it. Usually because they have been drinking and driving and crash and are injured. Or drink too much and crash from a ETOH overdose

What criteria do you use to decide if your patients need oxygen? How do you decide what flow rate and what device to use?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

618px-CapsLock.jpg

That NRB isn't saving your trauma patients.