Being an FTO, tips, tricks, advice?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I've recently been made an FTO and Crew Chief at my station.

The Crew Chief part I've got down pat, I was a department head at my previous job, and a lot of what I did there is going hand in hand with what I'm doing to keep the station supplied and running and the crews in line.

As far as FTO, I don't really have much experience in the way of training others.

As far as getting new folks up to speed, what tips, tricks, and hints do you guys have for making you sure to get as much info across and absorbed into new people as possible? Do you guys have any sort of checklist - mental or otherwise - that you use? How do you utilize your down time with the new folks?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I think the best attribute any educator or FTO can bring is enthusiasm, and a love for the job. If you have that, you will win the minds of your neophytes and teaching them will be a natural progression of your experience.

tangenttalker

Forum Ride Along
FTO Help

So I was an FTO at my last company, and the best thing is to make sure you have all your EMT skills down for one as well as operation skills as in how you load and unload PT's from ambulance. Also how to properly lift the PT and gurney. With my downtime if we were just posting I would have the trainee play with the equipment and ask if he had any questions. I would make them lift the gurney with my partner in it and load it. They are your shadow like an extended ride-a-long. So they will be watching and learning. Explain to them what you are doing so they understand why its being done not just how to do it. I never really quizzed my EMT's unless it looked like didn't have a clue what they were doing, by that i mean taking basic sets of vitals. They passed the NREMT so they should know the basics you are just showing them how to apply it. The biggest and i stress *BIGGEST* thing to do is just have confidence, if it looks like you know what you are doing its best cause if you hesitate the trainee will notice. Don't be afraid to field questions either. Remember its just teaching them to work the job and reinforcing what they learned you are not the EMT instructor.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Make sure you have lots and lots of patience.

Not everyone catches on fast.

Some need coaching, some need qizzing. Don't try to apply a one size fits all solution to everyone.

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Good info so far, thanks, everyone.

A couple more questions:

When training someone who is brand new to the field, have you guys found it's better to let them take control of the scene on their very first call and step in to help when you find it necessary, or have them watch you run a call or two first and ease them into it? So far I've been asking them while en-route if they feel comfortable taking the scene, and that seems to have worked pretty well, though some gentle nudging for the shy ones to start taking command has been needed.

And finally, how do you differentiate between someone who made a few mistakes out of nervousness to someone who needs extra training that I can't give? I know everyone screws up from time to time - I sure as Hell did - but where is that shady grey line?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Good info so far, thanks, everyone.

When training someone who is brand new to the field, have you guys found it's better to let them take control of the scene on their very first call and step in to help when you find it necessary, or have them watch you run a call or two first and ease them into it? So far I've been asking them while en-route if they feel comfortable taking the scene, and that seems to have worked pretty well, though some gentle nudging for the shy ones to start taking command has been needed.

Depends on the person. No one Rule.

Sounds like you are on the right track

And finally, how do you differentiate between someone who made a few mistakes out of nervousness to someone who needs extra training that I can't give? I know everyone screws up from time to time - I sure as Hell did - but where is that shady grey line?

Try not watching over their shoulder every minute. If they have success when you are not watching, then they are nervous.

There should also be more than 1 FTO so if they are having trouble with you a second look is probably in order.

Also ask them to perform the skill wthout the pt back at the station. If they can do it at the station they are having trouble transitioning.

Don't be quick to judge, people need to fall into their rhythm. Let a couple of calls go by without criticism, better still only with positive criticism, so they don't see everytime you have somehting to say there is something negative associated with it.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Another thing while training on cot operations: put the new person on the cot, strapped in; load and unload them in the truck push them around, on pavement, asphalt and grass. Make some sharp corners, etc.
It will show them it can be scary as a patient to be on a cot and moved. shows them that it is a nice thing to do to tell the patient that you are lifting or lowering the cot, turning etc.

I have been in EMS for 13 years, been a patient multiple times, and it is still scary to be unloaded off the truck, feels like I am going to be dropped every time

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You will be surprised what you discover on YOUR own too.

Teaching promotes thinking and you will make mental associations about the nature of your job, and overarching principles.

Which some trainees aren't going to want to listen to.;)

Get a good FTO to work with you, you are now in need of upgrade training like the trainees you are assigned.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Consider getting more formal training and education on EMS pedadogy and how to be an FTO. I believe FISDAP has a program for FTOs. Consider getting credentialed as a CPR instructor, or getting involved in an EMT class-- to get experience providing constructive criticism, working with problem students, etc.

Annie

Forum Ride Along
When I started out at, my FTO wrote out a "script" for me for the different types of calls we'd run into. I know we learned all our skills in EMT school but we all seem to blank out when we're brand new in the field. My FTO mainly wrote down the structural basics of the call and what documentations I needed to collect but you can be more detailed if you feel like your trainee needs it. On our downtime, we went over pertinent questions to ask pts and pts caregivers so we could work on formulating a turnover report at the hospital. Whatever it is, always be patient with your trainee. I was only more discouraged and made more mistakes when my FTO appeared frustrated with me. Best of luck to you and your trainees.

Annie

Forum Ride Along
Oh and I know it probably doesn't sound like much, but a trainee hearing "you're doing great" (when appropriate) helps tremendously.