Become EMT-B in 14 days

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Wingnut@Jan 11 2005, 08:30 PM
Well we have no short programs like that here, we only have the one regular semster long course for EMT-B. Also in our state we only have EMT-B's and paramedics, I don't know if EMT-I programs would warrant a different schedule for classes.
I took the EMT-IV course at our Community college and it took me 2 full semesters. We went from 4pm to 10 pm 2 nights a week and if you didn't get at least a "C" in the first semester then you didn't get to take the second half which included the IV part. I went into this not knowing squat about any of it. I was so determined though that I kept an A thouout the whole thing simply because I didn't want anything to slip by me and I wanted to make sure I passed NR. I then got into the "real" world and found out I still didn't know squat and still don't after almost a year of it. I work for a very busy service and every day I still learn something new, Luno is right about the experience being the only way to "really" know what you are doing. Sure you need to be armed in taking vitals before you set out but the real learning comes from just flat out doing it and hoping that no one dies in the process due to not knowing something and yes I am in that situation more than I care to be because I do run a BLS truck somedays and I only have a driver, just a driver with no medical training whatsoever and let me tell ya it is those days that I get into some crap and end up having to respond to ALS calls because there are no trucks available and I am it.......scares the h*ll out of me. I haven't killed anyone yet and I ALWAYS pull the protocol book on the way to the scene just to "freshen up" and hope dispatch has actually given the right info. I hate to think that a 14 day course is available and that these students are actually set free to run calls on their own, that really scares the H*ll out of me :eek:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Kyleybug, I salute you, I can only imagine how scary that must be. That's why I feel lucky that we only have ALS, because I would always have a medic there to back me up, of course until I become the medic, then I'll be scared sh**less too.

You said it a lot better than I did, I should have just said after all my training I'm still terrified, (and I was top of my class) I can't imagine only 14 days of training. But that's me. But that's what I get for trying to reason it out lol, I confuse myself sometimes. Ok, most of the time, but that's not the point.

Kyley it sounds like you have a good grasp on it though, you look over your books, you worked hard, you pay attention and can admit to your feelings about it. I've seen some of the EMT's coming out of my class thinking they could save everyone and thinking they know as much if not more than people who have experience. THAT scares me even more.

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Wingnut,
Thank you for the salute but i really don't deserve one! I just do the best I can and call for an ALS truck even when I know there isn't one :eek: I just tell my driver if i get in over my head that I need to be at the ER YESTERDAY, they just drive like H*ll and get us there. It is scary sometimes and I just pray that I never see the day that one craps out on me in the truck because I do run on an ALS truck they all are and I am not sure if I could NOT use the ALS stuff to save someone, it is there and I do know the drugs and indications and doses, I just don't think i could let someone die in my truck because I am not alowed to give adenocard, or lidocaine, or any of the others on the truck, I am afraid that one day I will go out of my scope because I can not lose a life and live with myself for not wanting to leave my scope, it is that grey area that I guess until it happens I won't know what I will do. Well I do know what i will do and that scares me because I will have to answer for it, and so be it. I will atleast be able to live with myself afterwards ;) I think you sound like you have a good grip on things, just never think you have it all down pat because that is when you screw up :p . I have the privilage of working with a few medics that are brand new(not even EMT first) and let me tell you what THEY SCARE ME more than i do myself!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well see I have to correct you, I think anyone in this field who can keep a good head on thier shoulders and admit their strong points /weaknesses deserves a salute, SO There! You do deserve one.

I know how you feel, that's why I'm getting my AS in this field, I'm just one of those people that has to know everything and be able to do as much as I can. I drive people nuts with questions but I feel better knowing the info. I told my husband if we ever won lotto I'd be a perennial college student, there's a bout 8 degrees I'd like to get.

Believe me I understand about the new medics, I'll be working as a medic, but not now as an EMT (too much with kids, class, & hubby's schedule) Fortunately there's an intense training program once we get hired so I'll be a bit less apprehensive about being on my own out there. Thanks for compliment, I like to think I have a grip on some things, but it tends to get slippery lol. Damn K-Y.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by kyleybug@Jan 13 2005, 08:56 PM
I just do the best I can and call for an ALS truck even when I know there isn't one :eek: I just tell my driver if i get in over my head that I need to be at the ER YESTERDAY, they just drive like H*ll and get us there.

We call that a diesel Drip... :lol:

OP
OP
coloradoemt

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by kyleybug@Jan 14 2005, 04:53 AM
Ya'll are crazy :lol:
I dont think I have ever heard a more sweet, totally sincere, extremely flattering, full of love and careing, makes me shed a tear, heart skips a beat, face flush with embarrassment, mega honoring, compliment my entire life!!! :D

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt+Jan 15 2005, 07:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Jan 15 2005, 07:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kyleybug@Jan 14 2005, 04:53 AM
Ya'll are crazy :lol:
I dont think I have ever heard a more sweet, totally sincere, extremely flattering, full of love and careing, makes me shed a tear, heart skips a beat, face flush with embarrassment, mega honoring, compliment my entire life!!! :D [/b][/quote]
Ditto :p

ksEMTbabe

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Summit+Jan 10 2005, 12:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Summit @ Jan 10 2005, 12:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Luno@Jan 8 2005, 07:52 PM
Frankly, I don't think that an EMT should be considered an EMT before your 1000th patient, and atleast a couple non-recoverable codes.
1000th? That's like 5-10 years in my current service. [/b][/quote]
No kidding! Guess Kansas isn't exactly the most exciting place to be when it comes to EMS...or anything else for that matter (Not that everyone didn't know that already :D ) A busy 24 around here is 2 medicals and a meth lab explosion

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
My class was accelerated. Only 3 months but 14 days is just too quick... I think I wouldn't trust very many people going through that class to care for me.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I took our regular class at the community college for EMT-B, it was 3 months. It's not accelerated in our state, that's the norm.

DFDEMS

Forum Crew Member
When I went through the US Army medic class way back when you were tested as NREMT-B the second or third week.

14 days is way to short. 6 months seems way to long. Practical application of the skills after the class (i.e. road experience) is what makes an EMT or medic a good one, not a piece of paper