Balboa Ambulances

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Does anybody know anything about Balboa ambulance service in San Diego? I applied and got a call in like 30 mins so this may be the one. Their facility looked ok. Pretty sure it used to be an apartment complex, but it looks like they might have a few people to each room which might be cool. I saw an ambulance going code which was probably their CCT unit but that could be something I could look forward to getting on with. Applied at AMR and passed the test, but got the letter saying they weren't hiring :sad:. Im going to go to Pacific right now.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Southern California has a plethora of BLS ambulance companies, Balboa being one of those. The others are Alert, AmbuMed, Schaefer, Pacific, Priority One Medical, AmeriCare, Rural Metro, AMR, and ER Ambulance.

If your only interest is to gain 1-year experience to enroll in medic school, then by all means, take what you can get. If you don't like the company you can always transfer somewhere else. Ask plenty of questions and see if you can get names of current employees to ask them what they think as well.

Best of luck.

I saw an ambulance going code which was probably their CCT unit but that could be something I could look forward to getting on with

That most likely was their 1 time for the year. ^_^

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if they called you back in 30min, they're desperate. you're cleared to bend them over the barrel. get the best deal you can.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Thats what I was thinking. Im excited. Not the best company but somewhere to start.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Southern California has a plethora of BLS ambulance companies, Balboa being one of those. The others are Alert, AmbuMed, Schaefer, Pacific, Priority One Medical, AmeriCare, Rural Metro, AMR, and ER Ambulance.

If your only interest is to gain 1-year experience to enroll in medic school, then by all means, take what you can get. If you don't like the company you can always transfer somewhere else. Ask plenty of questions and see if you can get names of current employees to ask them what they think as well.

Best of luck.

That most likely was their 1 time for the year. ^_^
Thats the way Im looking at it too. I would probably transfer to a bigger company such as R/M hoping that the name will be good for the furture. I hope that wasnt the only code!

Code 3

Forum Captain
True that. How'd it go @ Pacific? From what I've seen of them, they appear to have nicer equipment.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
It was a pretty small facility but nice, I saw an ambulance come in. I think a CCT since it was a box and it looked brand new. The lady said something about having to send the application up to Long Beach and the head guy reviews it I guess. So who knows how long that will take.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
try priority one medical

priorityonemedical.com

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Ugh went for my interview but the guy is stuck at the dmv registering ambulances so I have to go back tomorrow :-/

BEorP

Forum Captain
Ugh went for my interview but the guy is stuck at the dmv registering ambulances so I have to go back tomorrow :-/

As in you went for a scheduled interview and the person who was supposed to interview you didn't show? I'd be staying away from that.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
As in you went for a scheduled interview and the person who was supposed to interview you didn't show? I'd be staying away from that.

yep scheduled for a week. well like i said, def one of the smaller, lower end companies but I need to start somewhere.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
That ain't it Matt. You willing to leave SD county?

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Im thinking about moving to Colorado once I become a medic. But not anytime soon. Well I went in today. He just asked 2 questions, how do I rate myself as an EMT and do I know my protocols. I said I didnt really know my protocols because my teachers just briefly mentioned some. He said well I cant hire them unless you know them how long do you want to study them? I said a week. He said ok memorize them and come back in a week and ill ask you some and Ill give you a spot. So Im kind of hired. Nervous now that I have to get this down and go back. Any tips? What exactly do I need to read? I think he just said the blue and the red section.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Nervous now that I have to get this down and go back. Any tips? What exactly do I need to read? I think he just said the blue and the red section.

You need to purchase the following protocol flipbook:

San Diego County 2007/2008 Protocols & Medications

It's produced by the San Diego County Paramedic Association along with Epic Medics. You can purchase it at local community colleges that have EMT programs, or you can contact the SDCPA (619) 445-0425 for more information.

The front pages of the flipbook will have your standing orders for Adults/Peds and the very back (white pages) will have County protocols regarding determination of death, transporting, AMA, restraints, base hospital orders, pre-existing medication interventions, etc. etc. It also has door codes to local hospitals and a lot of other useful information.

Here are a few changes between the County and NREMT:

- Not allowed to give aspirin
- Not allowed to use activated charcoal
- Systolic B/P > 100 to assist w/ NTG

I would try and get picked up by another company, if possible. Either way, you will still need to purchase this book and know the information inside. It also gives you all the standing orders for ALS interventions, which you can study now.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
I have the book. I got it awhile ago but didnt really look too much over it. I know the sys. BP >100, but are you sure about not being allowed to give asprin and activated charcoal? Under Altered Neurologic function BLS it says Hypoglycemia suspected or known to be <75mg/dL if concious 3 oral glucose tabs or 15g paste. Actually I do recall our teacher saying no asprin but there is a note under the discomfort section that says you can give ASA. But thats probably ALS.

Code 3

Forum Captain
I'm positive about ASA and charcoal. If you look closely in the C/P and Poisoning/Overdose sections you will see they are both administered as ALS interventions. Yes, you are allowed to administer oral glucose in the form of paste or tablets.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
ASA and charcoal being no goes are a state thing. If you're willing to travel to other counties, there's Lynch (OC) and Mission (Riv) who are IFT companies, and are most likely hiring. I haven't checked lately, as I'm happy where I am. That is, in addition to the other companies already listed. You can also check out Care, but, they're in LACo

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sapphyre, Care is based out of Orange and have numerous 911 contracts in northern and central OC. The major companies in OC are Doctors, Care, Lynch, Pacific, Shoreline, Emergency, and Medixs with Medixs and Doctors being headquartered in southern OC (Mission Viejo and Irvine respectively). To be completely honest, considering the commute time between San Diego and Orange County, I don't think it would be worth it even if you didn't hit any traffic. I know that when I was traveling for summer school from my parent's house in San Marcos to UCI I did my best to avoid traffic, even if it meant staying on campus for a bit.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Oh I had oral glucose on the brain lol. Idk what he is going to ask me. He gave me his email, work cell, and personal cell and told me to call him if I had a question about something. I live in east county which is way to far to travel to LA. I wouldnt really even want to drive to the others. This one is close which is nice.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks, JP. One thing, Care DOES have LACo 911 contracts. That's not the point here though.