Balancing EMT course with College work

LKC

Forum Ride Along
Sup fellas. I'm new to this site and I registered because I finally decided to get certified. The EMT/paramedic/firefighting field has always been an interest of mine, and now I want to pursue it.

I'm signing up for an EMT-basic course which is 4 months (tues / thurs 6 - 10)

The conflict is that my college semester will begin at the end of August. I was wondering if this is advisable as the workload will be too much with 4 classes and EMT courses.

I'm very motivated and I believe in myself in terms of getting my *** to study. But I also want to be realistic, I'd rather just take the EMT course next Summer if it means doing mediocre in both .

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
It's really not that hard. I don't know what your college classes are, but you can probably handle it.

Also, search button.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Five classes sound a bit more than you should try for. I know you want to get this stuff over with but like all things, moderation is best. Drop 1 or 2 classes and you will be better off to get good grades. I once made the mistake of taking Calculus, Gen Chem with a lab and molecular bio with a lab all in one semester. My brain nearly exploded, and I ended up dropping chem and lab to avoid an F in those two courses (Chem and lab were separate).

12 semester units is considered full time, I once took 18 and I was hating life, so just pace yourself.

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
I was on the same boat as you, I decided to get certified aswell but had my semester starting aswell, I finished my semester back in late April but the EMT-B course was full for the summer, but I managed to get in for the Fall semester (late August to December 9th). I dont think you'd have a problem with the classwork itself, but you would have to play around with study times for your regular semester and the EMT exams AND make time for the Ride-Times and ER clinicals, which in my personal opinion would be a little too much, so I waited til my semester ended. Just my personal opinion... I would rather wait out another semester and take the EMT-B course, give it your 100% to the classes and clinicals ect, and you'll be golden.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it depends on what you're taking. EMT class is not difficult for most people, and usually you aren't required to do much homework, papers, or anything so the time you spend out-of-class on it is usually limited to studying and clinicals.

I can see how it would be rough if the 4 classes you're taking are difficult. Even if they're not, if this is your first semester at college you might want to reconsider anyways. College courses are different than high school ones - and it's not just the difficulty level. It takes a semester or two to get used to the differences and learn how to be a college student.

I took my EMT class as a senior in high school with a full course load, much of it college-level, and did fine. Keep in mind though... I already had some EMS training & exposure under my belt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I think it depends on what you're taking. EMT class is not difficult for most people, and usually you aren't required to do much homework, papers, or anything so the time you spend out-of-class on it is usually limited to studying and clinicals.

I can see how it would be rough if the 4 classes you're taking are difficult. Even if they're not, if this is your first semester at college you might want to reconsider anyways. College courses are different than high school ones - and it's not just the difficulty level. It takes a semester or two to get used to the differences and learn how to be a college student.

I took my EMT class as a senior in high school with a full course load, much of it college-level, and did fine. Keep in mind though... I already had some EMS training & exposure under my belt.

Agreed, I also think it depends on what course you are taking. Now if it is under water basket weaving and ART 101 then by all means go for it, but if you add math and science classes into the mix then "Houston we have a problem". :unsure:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
emt class is easy.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
emt class is easy.

Be that as it may, and easy or not, EMT classes still require some form of time management to study. With many additional courses with some semblance of difficulty, then even managing study time for emt classes will become more problematic.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Balancing EMT-B with college coursework shouldn't be a problem, though it can be hectic if you are doing the course alongside the actual nursing part of an RN program. It is the medic program that you do not want to take alongside a lot of courses due to the fact that you will live most of your life in class and at random clinicals.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Be that as it may, and easy or not, EMT classes still require some form of time management to study. With many additional courses with some semblance of difficulty, then even managing study time for emt classes will become more problematic.

I did mine in high school with a part time job. It would have been easier in college. We can formalize it with "time management" with a" study load" and "quiet time" or you just read the book and do your homework. Lets not make it harder than it is. It can easily be done in college. People do it with full time jobs and families.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I did mine in high school with a part time job. It would have been easier in college. We can formalize it with "time management" with a" study load" and "quiet time" or you just read the book and do your homework. Lets not make it harder than it is. It can easily be done in college. People do it with full time jobs and families.

You seem to be missing the point. For one is juggling work as well as schoolwork, one must have time for EMT class lectures and study time. This become difficult if you are too overburdened with too many other classes. Writing a 5 page essay for sociology class and another paper due for English along with studying for EMT class betwixt and between work and family can quite frankly become too much. My only recommendation has been to limit the class work load to a reasonable level.

I to work and attend school, I own a PCB distributorship company and deal with US clients during the day, and China suppliers at night, so I am all aware of time management.

I hate my current profession so much that if I have to broker just one more circuit board I might go insane so I am willing to work the hardships of school and work but, the key is balance.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You seem to be missing the point. For one is juggling work as well as schoolwork, one must have time for EMT class lectures and study time. This become difficult if you are too overburdened with too many other classes. Writing a 5 page essay for sociology class and another paper due for English along with studying for EMT class betwixt and between work and family can quite frankly become too much. My only recommendation has been to limit the class work load to a reasonable level.
I am not missing that at all. I am saying it is easily done.

I to work and attend school, I own a PCB distributorship company and deal with US clients during the day, and China suppliers at night, so I am all aware of time management.
So you the EMT class. RIGHT!

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, I agree. The EMT-B course is a 100 level course however, it's also a 13 credit course in many locations. Time to study will be the issue.

alyssa_

Forum Probie
It really depends. Cliché answer, but it's true.

I just passed my EMT class, but I had to drop out of one class out of three last semester. EMT class wasn't hard, per se, but I focused all of my attention on it. To me it was a huge distraction. I ended up neglecting my math class completely and I forced myself to withdraw since my grade was in the tank and would ruin my 4.0 :rolleyes:.

But hey, if you're a good student, usually on top of things and mature enough to manage your time well (unlike me), it's should be a pretty easy gig. Go for it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I was generally a good college student that usually took 16-20 credits a semester. I wasn't able to do EMT-Basic school and college together. It wasn't the difficulty of the class or material, but just the lack of time.

College is about more than just gaining a solid education, and in retrospect I wish I spent more time out having fun and less time working in EMS or in classes. Many students do their EMT-Basic class while working or enrolled in college full time, but I found it much more enjoyable to take it in an academy-type setting over the summer.

Good luck!

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I was generally a good college student that usually took 16-20 credits a semester. I wasn't able to do EMT-Basic school and college together. It wasn't the difficulty of the class or material, but just the lack of time.

College is about more than just gaining a solid education, and in retrospect I wish I spent more time out having fun and less time working in EMS or in classes. Many students do their EMT-Basic class while working or enrolled in college full time, but I found it much more enjoyable to take it in an academy-type setting over the summer.

Good luck!

I kind of have the opposite feeling. I know that the load would have been crazy, but I really wish I had done it in college, because then I would have been able to volunteer as an EMT and would have been released before graduation. I did a lot of volunteering in the hospital since I am pre-med, and I would have likely spent that time in EMS instead if given the choice. As it stands now, I am going to have a 3 month probie period before I am released in my county, and I am going to have to balance that with a paying job.

Of course, the reason that I didn't do it in college was not that I needed the time to study, it's that I needed that time to have fun...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with MMiz to some degree, except I'm glad that I got my EMT sooner rather than later because it allowed me to get a job that doesn't suck as much and pays more than retail or food service. Job also allowed me to learn and make connections for future employment and education.

OP
OP
L

LKC

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for every single reply in this thread. I'm still undecided to whether or not I will take this course during the semester. But I have another question. I'm primary doing this as a side job / hobby. I don't plan on making this a career.

Are people that go down this route(only as a part time hobby, not career) generally frowned upon?
Is it worth the time and money investment if I'm only doing this out of interest?

Thanks guys!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Are people that go down this route(only as a part time hobby, not career) generally frowned upon?
Is it worth the time and money investment if I'm only doing this out of interest?

Thanks guys!

yes its worth it.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for every single reply in this thread. I'm still undecided to whether or not I will take this course during the semester. But I have another question. I'm primary doing this as a side job / hobby. I don't plan on making this a career.

Thanks guys!

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the EMT choice went like this. I smacked myself up riding a dirt bike at Ocotillo Wells Ca. With a compound tibia fracture I was in horrible pain. After seeing what that ambulance crew did for me and how awesome they were as I was being transported to El Centro, I was inspired. From then on, I always wanted to work as an EMT.