Balancing EMT course with College work

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
My EMT-B class had a couple full time pre med college students. They both seemed pretty stressed out during much of the class, especially the practical and written exams. One did fairly well in the class the other one struggled and barely passed. They were both seniors though and I dont think had a really tough course load.

EMT class isnt rocket science but if you have no medical background it will probably be tough to do as a full time college student.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Okay, I am going to interject my opinion here. As the group old guy, or at least one of the old guys, let me impart some of what I have learned in life.

Anecdote time: Your at the Home Depot store looking for a flangy ma thing and need help. You approach an Employee and explain your dilemma, your response is the polish salute, or shoulder shrug to clarify. You continue to meander aimlessly but run into another employee. Somewhat devoid of energy you ask this employee the same question that you had asked the last one but, much to your surprise, this employee responds with alertness and enthusiasm. Not only do you find out out how to make your flangy ma thing but find a better to do it.

Okay so, now I need a point. I think many things in life are what you put into and take out from the experience, be that school or anything else.

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
Sup fellas. I'm new to this site and I registered because I finally decided to get certified. The EMT/paramedic/firefighting field has always been an interest of mine, and now I want to pursue it.

I'm signing up for an EMT-basic course which is 4 months (tues / thurs 6 - 10)

The conflict is that my college semester will begin at the end of August. I was wondering if this is advisable as the workload will be too much with 4 classes and EMT courses.

I'm very motivated and I believe in myself in terms of getting my *** to study. But I also want to be realistic, I'd rather just take the EMT course next Summer if it means doing mediocre in both .

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Luckily for me my EMT class was 2 months long and I wasn't in college at the time, so the workload was nice! :p

Seriously though now that I am in college, working, volunteering, and keeping up with my EMT training, I've found that if you manage your time very valuably, it's actually quite easy to do! You just have to decide how bad you want it, how close will another EMT class come around? And are you willing to put in the hard work?? :ph34r:

I will say that the EMT-B class is fairly easy, all except clinicals, and the final tests!! (For most people at least)

Last edited by a moderator: