Bad NASCAR Wreck

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I wish cars on the road today had the safety features of NASCAR cars. It's unbelievable that he walked away with only a slight limp, and gave a TV interview a few minutes later.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4oSZIm3YAw[/youtube]

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Crash!!

Amazing......... :eek:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Hes Making Another Left Turn!!!!

JPINFV

Gadfly
See what happens when NASCAR drivers make a right turn?

On a serious note, that car did exactly what it was made to do. By coming apart the energy is dissipated instead of going into the driver. That's why, in general, the intactness of the car and the intactness of the driver is inversely proportional. Compare Earnhart's fatal crash to this one. Of course over the years safety enhancements have also made it a lot safer.

emtbhardy

Forum Probie
that proves one thing that auto makers have the technology to build a car that we most likely won't die in. but we want the loudest radio and the tv so the kids will stay quiet. we dont think that we will ever be in an accident so we dont worry as much about safety till its to late.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
See what happens when NASCAR drivers make a right turn?
Now that's freaking funny
On a serious note, that car did exactly what it was made to do. By coming apart the energy is dissipated instead of going into the driver. That's why, in general, the intactness of the car and the intactness of the driver is inversely proportional. Compare Earnhart's fatal crash to this one. Of course over the years safety enhancements have also made it a lot safer.

Good point, but you're forgetting that these are professional drivers - not the idiots we have to deal with. You can build the safest car in the world, but it doesn't do much good if the person behind the wheel is an idiot.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
This is one serious MOI!

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
that proves one thing that auto makers have the technology to build a car that we most likely won't die in. but we want the loudest radio and the tv so the kids will stay quiet. we dont think that we will ever be in an accident so we dont worry as much about safety till its to late.

I’m glad you were able to have this amazing epiphany. True, we could all drive around U.S. Army tanks and never have to worry about traffic accidents again. But thankfully, we live in a society that values free will and capitalistic markets. In the fire truck industry, new fire trucks now cost about 50,000 dollars more than they should because they are covered with mandated safety gizmos. The point being, this is a double-edged sword issue. Definitely not black and white. And I would argue, you edge of the sword is actually more dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't think it's 100% fair to compare specialty machines to normal cars. Your average car and driver isn't designed to go faster than the speed limit and generally react badly to high speed crashes. People. as it is, have enough problem using their turn signal and buckling up. Are we now going to expect them to use a 5-point restraint system with an additional neck brace? Are we willing to spend money to improve the guardrails to a system similar to those on race tracks? Probably not. Most people do not obtain speeds fast enough to warrant such expenses.

emtbhardy

Forum Probie
dont get me wrong I am not trying to make anyone mad. I'm just making a point that I think that if a person could walk away from that type of crash in a racecar that was doing 180mph. Then the people that test the cars that we drive can do that test or something like that to vehicle(s) that goes 70-100mph w/ the same results. Of course with the lower speeds we wouldn't need "everything" that a racecar has in it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
How about we concentrate on just getting everyone to use the safety features already in the vehicles? How many EMTs (B or P) don't wear a seatbelt, even if the only thing left to do are V/S checks? Also how much more are people willing to pay for their vehicles in order to implement such safety precautions.

emtbhardy

Forum Probie
i do agree that if everyone used the safety features we have now it would cut down alot of deaths. But isn't our goal to get that number down to "0"? I know that there are people that didn't die because they wore there seat belt. But there are also people that are dead that took more safety than that. I guess my point is... "If we have the technology lets just use it."

skyemt

Forum Captain
dont get me wrong I am not trying to make anyone mad. I'm just making a point that I think that if a person could walk away from that type of crash in a racecar that was doing 180mph. Then the people that test the cars that we drive can do that test or something like that to vehicle(s) that goes 70-100mph w/ the same results. Of course with the lower speeds we wouldn't need "everything" that a racecar has in it.

another thing to consider is deceleration forces... ultimately, this is what dooms many drivers. the slower the deceleration, the less serious injury.

these cars are made to absorb the kinetic energy and dissipate it, slowing the deceleration.

i doubt these drivers would do as well if they were in head-ons, or striking solid objects like poles, walls, etc...

even the walls at race tracks are made of a lot of rubber, and designed to dissipate the kinetic energy.

in addition to the skill of the drivers, there is much safety equipment inside the car, like harnesses and attachments that limit whipping of the head...

i don't really see any way to compare this to "civilian" driving...

not apples to apples.

certguy

Forum Captain
That was an awesome wreck ! ( breaking out the score cards ) I'll give that one a 9.5 for multiple rolls . It's amazing that someone could walk away from something like that .

Years ago in college , I got to take a race car rescue course . It was pretty cool , but I never got to work any races . BUMMER !