Background checks. Vrs. Reality

globespun

Forum Ride Along
If a driving record and criminal record come back perfect but there is old stuff that didn't show up ... Should I report it or let sleeping dogs alone ...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If a driving record and criminal record come back perfect but there is old stuff that didn't show up ... Should I report it or let sleeping dogs alone ...

If you are found to have falsified information on an employment application, you will likely face immediate termination.

Achilles

Forum Moron
First thing you need to do is calm down, anxiety will be the death of you. Finally let things play their course. Don't make excuses. :excl:
If someone asks, than explain, tell the truth don't lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

globespun

Forum Ride Along
Criminal background

Your right ! I'm stressed !!! I just want this so very badly !

I would definitely tell the truth if asked ! Problem is ... If IF. The background comes back like the driving record . Clean ....

The first page of school application is ... " have you ever been convicted if a crime "

If I say yes, but its no where on the records !!!!
Would I be a moron to say yes !!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Your right ! I'm stressed !!! I just want this so very badly !

I would definitely tell the truth if asked ! Problem is ... If IF. The background comes back like the driving record . Clean ....

The first page of school application is ... " have you ever been convicted if a crime "

If I say yes, but its no where on the records !!!!
Would I be a moron to say yes !!

The answer to that question is yes with an explanation and dates.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Was the record expunged or the crime committed when you were a minor?

Trailrider

Forum Crew Member

in·teg·ri·ty [in-teg-ri-tee] Show IPA
noun
adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
I understand your stress but really the best advice we can give you is:
1) contact a local attorney and 2) tell the truth

I have no way to tell how your case was adjudicated (resolved), and each jurisdiction has their own ways of adjudicating cases. There is no standard, just local tradition.

It is likely that any charge will appear on a criminal background check unless you were adjudicated in some type of youthful offender, pretrial diversion, had the records expunged or sealed. However maybe in Texas first offenses drop off after a given time, I really dunno how it works out there. If you are getting a standard commercial background check, it may not show things that a local records check will. In house agency records tend to contain more than what the commercial companies reveal, and I don't know how your school or employer will check the records.

There's just too may variables. Maybe try one of the websites where you can pose a question to a Texas attorney. Try www.justanswer.com

So take a deep breath, call up a lawyer, and see how they can help.
And in the meantime, tell the truth. EMS is a small world, if you lie to one service it is likely that reputation will precede you elsewhere.

Sublime

LP, RN

Unless you did something really bad that you think could someway affect your job in the future... leave it alone. I imagine if it didn't show up its not too big a deal

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
One thing to consider is that certain types of background checks aren't restricted by the offense "dropping off your record".

For instance, in WA state, insurance companies can legally only go back three years of your driving record, but employers are not restricted by the three year limit. Depending upon who does the criminal background check and how they submit it, ALL arrests (including juvenile) may show up even if they have been longer than the time limits to be considered for employment. The only way to get them removed from the background check is to consult a lawyer and get the record expunged. (There are certain other factors that come into play in determining if a juvenile offense stays on the record, so I won't go into them here.)

Getting back to the OP's case, when filling out the job application, pay particular attention to how the question is worded. There is a difference between "Have you ever been arrested?" and "Have you ever been arrested in the past X years?". In the second case, you would be fine in stating no provided that the arrest happened outside of the X year limitation. In the first case, even if the employer couldn't use your arrest as a dis-qualifier, they certainly could use the misrepresentation/omission on the application as one - if they even bother to give you a reason for not hiring you.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
There aims a lot of variation in the depth and breadth of criminal background checks, and even driving records.

If it has a potential to come up in check, you should disclose it. If they don't ask for it, you may opt to not disclose it, but it's a big risk. We run backgrounds and driving records for employment applicants for certain positions. In never ceases to amaze me how many people either think a public safety agency wouldn't perform a background check, or think that enough time has passed to "forget" about the offense.