Back

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
I'm not planning on taking the vicodin right now....I'm going out drinking tonight so that should be my 'drug therapy' for tonight.

And the other med I didn't remember is Lodine.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Well I have been lucky, the only time I hurt my back was changing an M cylinder out, and I only pulled a muscle...my shoulder is a different story...messed up the rotator cuff good...no tear just impingement syndrome...6 months of Lortab 10, Mepergan, and cortisone shots!!! I'm glad its all healed now...I hated the spaced out feeling the meds gave me, but the pain was severe if I tried to lift my arm above my waist...so just try to take the pain pills sparingly.

nyc.ems

Forum Crew Member
chimera i know what you mean about driving in manhattan.that'll give you anxiety any day! i work for a private company affiliated with the fire dept. working 911 in the bronx.you think driving in manhattan is bad...try driving in the bronx!!!

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I drove in Chicago once...and swore to never get off the Tri-State in Illinois ever again...the bigger the city the worse the driving...and if you are in the south watchout...cars bought down here must not be equipped with turnsignals!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've had the pleasure of riding with some New York City EMT's (Brooklyn, no less). I really wanted to know who they stole their certification cards from, and who taught them to drive.

They thought that, if no one let them enter the intersection in 5 seconds (leaving a gas station), that turning on the siren was OK...

Jon

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Oh boy...thats about as bad as down here if we are responding to a call then get cancelled by dispatch and we turn in at the McDonalds, etc- people call the county administrator and complain that we ran red lights and sirens to go eat!

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Ouch! Dang! Safe and speedy healing to everyone!

I, too, suffer from lower back pain. MRI said degenerated L5/S1, which causes me unbearable pain down one or both legs. I have to do exercises 6x/day because I refuse the drugs. Most narc. have adverse effects on me (puke fountain for days after taking one). I have found that strength training combined with cardio keeps me symptom free. I also go to massage therapy every other week. That is woooooooooooooooooonderful. :)

I hear ya on shoulder injuries also. I've had both of mine reconstructed. Three screws in the left. The rehab kinda sucked, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for the surgery again. I dislocated my left shoulder over 100 times before I got it operated on. The Ortho wouldn't let me get that bad with my right. Three dislocations and she had me on the operating table. I'm 100% now. I can't believe what the Orthos can do. I can't thank her enough.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Well thankfully no surgery here, and things seem to be a ok too...but I always call for lifting assitance now if I need it...plus the volly FD's here love to come and help...so it works out well! Glad to here you are 100% though...most times you never get back to that.

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, surgery was after exhausting all other options, PT, etc. and it was affecting my general life. I'd be walking down the stairs or jogging or whatever and my shoulder would come out of socket.

My left was the worse of the two. The front and bottom of the socket were completely gone, rotator torn, labrum torn, capsule torn, etc. etc. etc.

Right just had a small labrum and small capsule tear and a slight stretch to the rotator.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
OUCH!!!!:sad: Not cool...how did you manage to tear them up that badly??

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
I play rough. and naturally lax joints. Great for gymnastics, sucks when you injure them.

Initial injury to my left - snowmobile wreck.

Initial injury to my right - jumping off a waterfall.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Gee and I messed my sholder up when a cot tipped over with a pt on it...I tried to stop it from falling-bad idea- hurt my shoulder and workers comp ignored me...and the lawyer I had working on it kinda forgot about me...so I guess that was that...but hey at least I am better.

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Glad to hear you're better.

My snomo wreck was on my way to an accident. I ski patrol also. Driver of the snomo lost control and wrecked us. He got a concussion, I got broken ribs and screwed up shoulder. The pt. we were responding to CC was back pain. She walked out of the hospital while I was waiting for my xrays.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Nice...dont ya love pts that are discharged before you complete your paperwork!

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
no kidding. waiting for a face sheet or sig. from the nurse and there goes the whiner out the door. Grr..

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Hey, I cant even get half way though my narrative before some leave. either discharged or AMA cause they have to wait in triage!

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
How lame!

Take a cab if it's not that much of an emergency!!!

I love it when parents sign their kids off of the BB because "there's nothing wrong with them" even though they have AMS, vomiting, etc.

Grr. again.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
The AMS is from the lead chips in the paint...oh wait, didnt, eh, EPA ban that?

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
lol!

"they're just faking it" ~disgruntled parent who wants to go ski some more

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Well I am lucky if I can get a parent on the phone when I get to a sick kid...most of my sick kids though are traumas with an RTS of 6 or less...I am the :censored::censored::censored::censored: magnet!