BAC Testing on Patients

JPINFV

Gadfly
What about a burglary suspect who gets shot during the commission of the crime? Should they be exempt because they chose the wrong house with the armed owner?

I'd say that the home owner needs to go to the firing range more often so that future burglars won't need medical care.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'd say that the home owner needs to go to the firing range more often so that future burglars won't need medical care.

You're talking to someone that lives in Texas... where the castle doctrine is alive and well B)

JPINFV

Gadfly
You're talking to someone that lives in Texas... where the castle doctrine is alive and well B)

Hell, even the People's Republic of Kalifornia has castle doctrine..

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
What about a burglary suspect who gets shot during the commission of the crime? Should they be exempt because they chose the wrong house with the armed owner?

I think if the burglary suspect calls for help from anywhere near the house, the stupid doctrine applies, and if he gets to the hospital some other way then good policework will probably prevail. Anyways, my original point was in regards to college students drinking, where this is most applicable. It isn't the police that get the kids in trouble, its the RAs and housing. I'm not arguing that they don't have the right to get the kids in trouble, just that its extremely bad policy.

Its going to get worse now, since the RAs can now write you up for appearing drunk in a dorm. We are letting the students know that they'd be better off just staying at the frat party for the night than going back to their dorm, because regardless of what might happen, they can't get in trouble with housing for staying out.

OP
OP
S

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
I think if the burglary suspect calls for help from anywhere near the house, the stupid doctrine applies, and if he gets to the hospital some other way then good policework will probably prevail. Anyways, my original point was in regards to college students drinking, where this is most applicable. It isn't the police that get the kids in trouble, its the RAs and housing. I'm not arguing that they don't have the right to get the kids in trouble, just that its extremely bad policy.

Its going to get worse now, since the RAs can now write you up for appearing drunk in a dorm. We are letting the students know that they'd be better off just staying at the frat party for the night than going back to their dorm, because regardless of what might happen, they can't get in trouble with housing for staying out.

I honestly don't believe it extends to that. Regardless hospitals are required to report injuries with that sort of mechanism of injury. Its more of a college 'gimme' to protect students from themselves.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I like the idea of not having repercussions for calling 911, unfortunately we don't have that on my campus. Regardless however it's hard to get college students past that "he'll be fine after he sleeps it off" mentality.My guess is that the university police may be gathering data for either their individual incident reports, or perhaps at the request of the school for a larger analytic document. They could also just be doing it for kicks too...

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I am a very strong believer that calling 911 for a medical problem should protect you from any sort of criminal or civil action so long as you didn't hurt anyone else.

As am I. Unfortunately, my school has a policy that even if you call for help, you can still get in trouble.

I don't even want to consider the fallout for the school if a student died because their roommate didn't want them to get in trouble so they didn't call 911 in a real emergency. I would hope the school would get sued into oblivion.

I'm sort of hoping that this happens. Not a death, but that somebody sues the school for an injury that could have been prevented had they not been scared of getting in trouble. Then MAYBE they would remove their heads from somewhere it doesn't belong and change something <_<

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I hate how blind people on a campus can be.

I do a lot of fire safety advocacy and even there no one often cares till it's too late. I had an out last year with one of our professors after he started whining about ccw's on campus. He said " You see that (pointing to a smoke detector) we have to have those in every room. When was the last time someone died in a fire on a campus...Yet I can't be prepared for an active shooter which have killed people in the past."Since 2000 at least 102 fatalities have been linked to on-campus and off-campus housing fires.

Even better, a friend and I used to push for CPR training for RAs. The school felt that it was too big a liability, and still instructs RAs to do nothing, even those with appropriate training. Yet until we told them to fix it, the manual told us that if we found someone unconscious on the ground, we were to move them to a position of comfort immediately...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I hate how blind people on a campus can be.

I do a lot of fire safety advocacy and even there no one often cares till it's too late. I had an out last year with one of our professors after he started whining about ccw's on campus. He said " You see that (pointing to a smoke detector) we have to have those in every room. When was the last time someone died in a fire on a campus...Yet I can't be prepared for an active shooter which have killed people in the past."Since 2000 at least 102 fatalities have been linked to on-campus and off-campus housing fires.
I actually agree with the professor. A "gun free zone" is actually an "unarmed victim zone." Bad guys don't care that they aren't supposed to not have a gun and best wishes doesn't disarm bad guys.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I actually agree with the professor. A "gun free zone" is actually an "unarmed victim zone." Bad guys don't care that they aren't supposed to not have a gun and best wishes doesn't disarm bad guys.

Which is why some students disobey the school rules. In NM it's just a midemeanor for college CCW...

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I don't mind a ccw policy....It was the analogy put forth by the ex-homicide detective, who should know better.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
CCW holder working at a Pizza Hut recently killed two armed robbers who came into the store and beat him and his manager. Both were carrying guns and had pistol whipped them, but he waited until one of the assailants made him move into a position that would have revealed his gun, at which point he shot them both to defend himself. I expect to hear shortly that he will be fired, as it is Pizza Hut's policy that employees not be allowed to defend themselves.