Atlanta's 911 Provider

awestmo

Forum Probie
Why is that

I can only speculate:

City of ATL + Dekalb county = lots of job opening's.

We have roughly 500 employees that make up GEMS. Your looking at that same number to run Dekalb.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I can only speculate:

City of ATL + Dekalb county = lots of job opening's.

We have roughly 500 employees that make up GEMS. Your looking at that same number to run Dekalb.

Copy, I am not from there so I had to ask. Why is the FD giving up transports?

$20hr, is that a decent salary compared to cost of living out there?

The Medic units are dual Medic or EMT-Medic?

Harbeezy

Forum Probie

Not sure about the Dekalb situation, but as far as the cost of living, 20 dollars an hour isn't bad. Especially if you're not married. And I believe Grady has dual medic trucks and Emt medic teams, but I could be mistaken.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure about the Dekalb situation, but as far as the cost of living, 20 dollars an hour isn't bad. Especially if you're not married. And I believe Grady has dual medic trucks and Emt medic teams, but I could be mistaken.

They work a 40hr work week right?

awestmo

Forum Probie

Eh, as far as the FD giving up transports, I think there are a bunch of variables in that equation. It's weird. Dekalb fire and Rural/Metro transport in Dekalb county. Rural/Metro has had the contract IIRC for a year it so. Dekalb fire fights more fire than anyone in the state. I think it was planned to have fire first respond and have Rural/Metro transport.

IIRC new medics are getting $21/hr plus $4k as a sign on bonus (prorated of course). That, IMO, is more than enough to get buy down here, especially with all the shift difference you get.

There are some double medic trucks. "Usually" just one that does CCT. There are more at the moment because we have more medics than EMTs. But, the norm is EMT-I/medic.

Last edited by a moderator:

awestmo

Forum Probie
They work a 40hr work week right?

Two shifts available:

12-12-12 day/night. 0400-1600, 0500-1700, 0630-1830, 0900-2100, 1600-0400, 1700-0500.

10-10-10-10 night. 1830-0430.

All shifts are contiguous.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
One last question(s), what is job "security" like there, I know it is a hospital system that has been running EMS since 1982. But at the ebd of the day it is a Private service and those contracts nervously come up for bid typically every 5 years or so. Now I know there is talk about adding another County into the service, but what has the general sense of job secuirty like around there?

I know you said there is alot of Medic turnover, overall Morale amoung employees? adequate raises and Benefits?

Also, why is Grady getting DElkab instead of Rural/Metro, did the outbid them? Or was the County unhappy with them.....

Who works the Falcons and Braves games

Thanks for the info

awestmo

Forum Probie
One last question(s), what is job "security" like there, I know it is a hospital system that has been running EMS since 1982. But at the ebd of the day it is a Private service and those contracts nervously come up for bid typically every 5 years or so. Now I know there is talk about adding another County into the service, but what has the general sense of job secuirty like around there?

I know you said there is alot of Medic turnover, overall Morale amoung employees? adequate raises and Benefits?

Also, why is Grady getting DElkab instead of Rural/Metro, did the outbid them? Or was the County unhappy with them.....

Who works the Falcons and Braves games

Thanks for the info

Grady EMS is more of a government service than hospital. Little is actually done with the hospital (aside from the cont. Ed which is awesome btw).

I'd like to say that GEMS isn't going anywhere, but you never know for sure. I don't think anyone is worried about it though. Our VP does a great job.

Morale, well is, what you make of it. Its not the FD, but everyone gets along pretty well. Everyone has there group of people.

Benefits are good. Same as the hospitals.

Falcons and Braves games are run by a private service that does IFT. "Event EMS."

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Grady EMS is more of a government service than hospital. Little is actually done with the hospital (aside from the cont. Ed which is awesome btw).

I'd like to say that GEMS isn't going anywhere, but you never know for sure. I don't think anyone is worried about it though. Our VP does a great job.

Morale, well is, what you make of it. Its not the FD, but everyone gets along pretty well. Everyone has there group of people.

Falcons and Braves games are run by a private service that does IFT. "Event EMS."

I think that private service is medstat. I've heard some sketchy things about them though.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

if not grady who would it be, AFD?

thanks for all the info

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
AFD doesn't transport. They do run ALS engines though.

smeeiknuj

Forum Ride Along
AFD does handle all 911 calls at the ATL airport, and they even have 3-4 transport units. If they are on level 0, they call in some private companies or Grady.

wannabeliketv

Forum Ride Along
I know Grady EMS does the 911 in Atlanta and Atlanta Fire Rescue has ALS engines. My question is how is the relationship between Grady and Atlanta fire? on ALS calls who is in charge Fire or Grady? In some communities in my area that have hospital based ambulances, the fire department usually arrives on scene first does the interventions then tells the ambulance to transport and if the ALS fire unit feels the patient may deteriorate they ride in the ambulance with the paramedics and run the call all the way to the hospital. Is the Grady and AFRD relationship anything like that?

mm505

Forum Crew Member
Grady and AFD get along just fine. Same with R/M and DeKalb, Metro and Cobb and so on and so on.

DeKalb County could not afford the cost of the transports so they "farmed out" the transports to Rural/Metro. As others have said, not many of the metro Atlanta counties have the FD transport. Gwinnett, Clayton and Douglas counties do.

In reference to Metro Atlanta Ambulance, you will see A LOT of their trucks in Atlanta (as well as throughout the entire metro Atlanta area). They are running the transports (i.e. nursing home to hospital) that are not 911. Central does the same thing.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
So to revisit this, what ended up happening with the Delkab Contract?

And I missed this last time around, but someone said something about Grady offering a sign on bonus? That isn't on the website.

Last edited by a moderator:

heresay

Forum Crew Member
My understanding is that Grady did in fact get the Dekalb contract. As well, I've heard of signing bonuses for paramedics. I want to say you have to agree to stay for 18 months but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
My understanding is that Grady did in fact get the Dekalb contract. As well, I've heard of signing bonuses for paramedics. I want to say you have to agree to stay for 18 months but I could be wrong.

When does the new contracrt start? I have a friend who moved there a while back to work for Rural Metro, will have to get a hold of him to find out whats he gonna do!

heresay

Forum Crew Member
That I don't know, but I would imagine it would have to be sometime fairly soon given that this whole contract issue has been talked about for over a year. Last I heard they were hammering out some of the details but the overall deal had been agreed to. Again, all speculation until it actually happens. I'm surprised Rural/Metro didn't get the contract.