Atlanta's 911 Provider

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Who is it?

The web has told me many different things.

Who is it, and what is the service like as far as patient care and "employee care"

MedicBender

Forum Captain
From what I know Puckett EMS has some of the north suburbs like Marietta. Grady Health Care has the majority of downtown. I applied with them a while ago, and they wouldn't return my emails once they found out I didn't have my GA medic license.

I know Metro EMS runs some 911 in the city, not sure where their areas are though.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Grady runs the North side of Fulton(Atlanta) County, Rural Metro runs the South side of Fulton, Puckett does not cover Marietta, they do cover parts of Cobb and Douglas counties though, Douglas County Fire does their own transports(Powder Springs is technically in 3 counties, that's why Puckett crosses over to Douglas County). Metro Atlanta Ambulance covers Marietta, Smyrna and that area of Cobb County and several other cities outside of Cobb. Clark Ambulance covers Pauding County. Dekalb County Fire use to transport but I have no clue what their doing now, probably using Rural Metro.

Patient care, all depends on where you are honestly. If your in Fulton County, you could have 1 of 2 services come. Grady EMS only transports to Grady Hospital(which is a level 1 trauma center). Rural Metro will transport to the most appropriate facility, which their are 2 level 1 trauma centers literally across the street from each other(Grady Hospital and Atlanta Medical Center). The rest of the services would normally transport to the most appropriate facility that the Pt needs. Besides Kennestone Hospital all the surrounding hospitals are level 3 hospitals while Kennestone is a level 2.

I couldn't say anything as far as employee care for the services.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Grady runs the North side of Fulton(Atlanta) County, Rural Metro runs the South side of Fulton, Puckett does not cover Marietta, they do cover parts of Cobb and Douglas counties though, Douglas County Fire does their own transports(Powder Springs is technically in 3 counties, that's why Puckett crosses over to Douglas County). Metro Atlanta Ambulance covers Marietta, Smyrna and that area of Cobb County and several other cities outside of Cobb. Clark Ambulance covers Pauding County. Dekalb County Fire use to transport but I have no clue what their doing now, probably using Rural Metro.

Patient care, all depends on where you are honestly. If your in Fulton County, you could have 1 of 2 services come. Grady EMS only transports to Grady Hospital(which is a level 1 trauma center). Rural Metro will transport to the most appropriate facility, which their are 2 level 1 trauma centers literally across the street from each other(Grady Hospital and Atlanta Medical Center). The rest of the services would normally transport to the most appropriate facility that the Pt needs. Besides Kennestone Hospital all the surrounding hospitals are level 3 hospitals while Kennestone is a level 2.

I couldn't say anything as far as employee care for the services.

So the city of atlanta is Atlanta Metro?

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
So the city of atlanta is Atlanta Metro?

No. The city of Atlanta does not have a EMS provider. The city is in Fulton County, which is in turn covered by Grady EMS and Rural Metro

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Grady is about to have a huge hiring period too, I heard they were bidding to get a dekalb contract.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
They might, I know Dekalb Fire was doing their own transports for a little while but from what everyone says, they've stopped.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I checked out the website, anyone know from an employee stand point what it is like working there? I am going to send an email asking about pay to the HR.

Crunch

Forum Probie
I checked out the website, anyone know from an employee stand point what it is like working there? I am going to send an email asking about pay to the HR.

If you are talking about Grady they start there medics out at 20/hr. I think its about 14/hr for emt's, not sure on that though i only worked there as a medic.
They also pay night and weekend differentials.
Its a system status system and you will run a lot of calls (anywhere from 8-14 a night easily).
There is a lot of employee turnover so they hire pretty regularly.
Its not the place you want to be if you want to spend your shift sleeping.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are talking about Grady they start there medics out at 20/hr. I think its about 14/hr for emt's, not sure on that though i only worked there as a medic.
They also pay night and weekend differentials.
Its a system status system and you will run a lot of calls (anywhere from 8-14 a night easily).
There is a lot of employee turnover so they hire pretty regularly.
Its not the place you want to be if you want to spend your shift sleeping.

Do they pay for experience? Is that pay good salary for cost of living round there?

Arovetli

Forum Captain
I recently moved to the Atlanta area and I'm interested in working for Grady. I've applied to several medic positions but for some reason I'm not getting any calls. I've had interviews and job offers with plenty of other services in the area but can't seem to get any attention from Grady. Any ideas what's wrong?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
not for nothing, but why don't you accept one of the other offers until you hear back from Grady? maybe they want you to have some local experience before they will hire you?

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
They might, I know Dekalb Fire was doing their own transports for a little while but from what everyone says, they've stopped.

I can say with certainty that this is incorrect. I've heard the buzz about Grady picking uip Dekalb as well (and I hope to God it's true, because I want to get on there) but I still see DCFD dropping pt's off at DMC and Grady every day.

awestmo

Forum Probie
Wow, lots of incorrect information in this thread.

Grady EMS is the sole 911 EMS provider for the city of Atlanta (132 sq miles).

GEMS will transport to any other hospital within the city limits, sometimes out of depending on location. There are two level 1 trauma centers in the city and they are 2 miles apart.

There are a ton of rumors flying around about GEMS taking over Dekalb county. Let me just say that whatever our VP wants, our VP gets. The RPF for Dekalb will be submitted 01/01/12. Yes Dekalb fire still transports along with Rural/Metro.

It's a great place to work for the clinical skills and assessments. You wont find the call volume anywhere else in the state (think 120,000+ calls). Again, as its already been stated, you won't be sleeping on a truck.

Sent from my Rooted NookColor using Tapatalk

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Wow, lots of incorrect information in this thread.

Grady EMS is the sole 911 EMS provider for the city of Atlanta (132 sq miles).

GEMS will transport to any other hospital within the city limits, sometimes out of depending on location. There are two level 1 trauma centers in the city and they are 2 miles apart.

There are a ton of rumors flying around about GEMS taking over Dekalb county. Let me just say that whatever our VP wants, our VP gets. The RPF for Dekalb will be submitted 01/01/12. Yes Dekalb fire still transports along with Rural/Metro.

It's a great place to work for the clinical skills and assessments. You wont find the call volume anywhere else in the state (think 120,000+ calls). Again, as its already been stated, you won't be sleeping on a truck.

Sent from my Rooted NookColor using Tapatalk

Can't wait for them to get that dekalb contract!