Assessment Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
Id say ill get made fun of for this question like the rest... This is kindve a random question that isnt as pertinent in the real world as much as in a testing enviroment but anyway... What would you do if somone is complaining of chest pain, and has moderate shortness of breath? Would you apply oxygen during the primary survey, or wait until the secondary assessment and obtain SPo2 first? I think you usually apply oxygen just based on the primary survey and their presentation without checking SPo2, correct? I also know in a heart attack, you have to be mindful with supplemental oxygen.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You probably wouldn't be applying oxygen during your primary survey as that's basically just establishing that the patient's ABC's are intact. Basically, they're breathing (and therefore airway is open) and have a pulse. If someone is actively complaining of chest pain, they're probably not (yet) dead... so therefore your primary survey is complete nearly instantly upon hearing that from the patient.

I'll leave the rest to you.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Primary assessment.

Airway: Open, clean, maintainable, no need for suction
Breathing: Rate, effort, depth, oxygen as clinically indicated

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I’m just saying: If this is a typical EMT grad, we are in deep trouble…

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
This is actually a really good question... because different providers have different opinions, and the guidelines have changed over the years.
View them?
Which is more important? fixing and ABC issues, or performing interventions?

EMT class and NREMT testing is a little more rigid than what we do in real life; depending on the patient's presentation, I would probably put on a SPO2 probe on the person's finger to get a baseline oxygen reading, and then apply O2 if I felt it was necessary. I doubt the 6 or 8 second delay to get a reading is going to affect the patient long term, unless they are gasping for air, and in that case, you should be grabbing a BVM.

Also remember, just because someone has a PS02 above 95%, doesn't always mean they shouldn't be given oxygen. Examples include carbon monoxide poisoning, sickle cell crisis, pneumothorax or cluster headaches.

here is more reading for you to do:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I think what I was getting at in my earlier post is that checking the ABC's/Primary Survey can be completed so quickly that you flow very, very quickly into your secondary survey stuff and start treating as you discover problems. As you gain experience in assessing patients, it starts to LOOK like you're beginning your assessment and doing treatment simultaneously. You're not. Primary Survey is done, but Secondary Survey might only focus on a respiratory problem because that's the biggest life threat that's presenting itself.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And another one gets closed

Status
Not open for further replies.