Army medic gets life in prison

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, let's go with that theory.

The persons were being detained for what? Murder.

The penalty for murder is? Death.

Timothy Mc Veigh -- an unarmed and restrained man -- was taken from his prison cell and put to death for murder. We do it all the time in America. So what exactly is the difference here?

Whats the difference?

If I have to explain that to you......

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

Fragger

Forum Probie
Good info thanks :wacko:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah he was put to death after a trial where a group of his peers found him guilty.

Just because you are at war does not make you judge, jury and executioner.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah he was put to death after a trial where a group of his peers found him guilty.

Just because you are at war does not make you judge, jury and executioner.
You're attempting to apply concepts of Western law to a third world country, where their citizens enjoy no such protections.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
the ethics of war.

before trying to apply peacetime civillian justice of a western culture, some background on the specific nature of war must be considered. Because this semester is being quite merciless, I cannot sped the hours it would take to touch on the topic but suggest looking into:

The Prince, Machiavelli

The art of war, Sun Tzu

For those that need a more modern approach:

On War, Clausewitz

War is hell. Hell is the impossibility of reason. All is fair in love and war (contraction of people older than me)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
LOAC and the American serviceperson

Law Of Armed Conflict, our folks get that training before they are allowed to fire for combat qualification. medical personnel also receive their own version of Geneva Convention which is that medical persons fight only to save their lives, their patients lives, and to safeguard their facility and materials. (If you happen to be around the rest of your unit, who are all potentially your patients...just don't take the chain gun and go postal).

(And yes, I know, that red cross makes a dandy sniper target).

Neither LOAC nor Geneva allow for summary execution, nor to allow a prisoner to be summarily executed by others (i.e., put them down handcuffed outside the gates and wait), and that goes double for medical personnel. It's the law, our law.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Our we really arguing this point.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
We have seen this type of behavior from many people in this capacity both in the US and abroad...as recently as Abu Ghraib to the Zimbardo Study (Stanford Prison Experiment) in the 70's, and probably way back to the dark ages. Combined with the fact that the Army has lowered their enlistment requirements over the past few years - this guy could have been a loose cannon from the get-go.

The horrors and stresses of war may lead these men to do things they may normally do. Look at the My-Lai massacre during Vietnam. Retribution is a powerful motive...

I can understand why this soldier would have done this having personally seen the atrocities of the war in Iraq, but I just can't condone it. I'll be going to Afghanistan in the fall, let's see if things improve there by then.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We have seen this type of behavior from many people in this capacity both in the US and abroad...as recently as Abu Ghraib to the Zimbardo Study (Stanford Prison Experiment) in the 70's, and probably way back to the dark ages. Combined with the fact that the Army has lowered their enlistment requirements over the past few years - this guy could have been a loose cannon from the get-go.

The horrors and stresses of war may lead these men to do things they may normally do. Look at the My-Lai massacre during Vietnam. Retribution is a powerful motive...

I can understand why this soldier would have done this having personally seen the atrocities of the war in Iraq, but I just can't condone it. I'll be going to Afghanistan in the fall, let's see if things improve there by then.

I still think the question is how far up the chain should responsibility for this go?