Are you an EMT or "Medic"

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Lots of peopole ask where I work, and I started off saying that I was an EMT. Half the people didn't know what an EMT was or what they did. I now say that I'm a medic, and everyone knows what I'm taking about. My county considers a "Medic" an EMT-Paramedic, but the American Ambualance Association has a new public program to push for everyone being "Medics".

What do you say you are? How do you feel about everyone being called "Medics". Personally I like the idea of everyone being called a medic. It's less confusing, and gives the media and public a term they can use.

That's just me though.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
There was just a big discussion on this on the Firehouse forums. The interesting thing is that most EMTs (Basic or Intermediate) think they should be called Medics and most Paramedics think only they should be called Medics.

I tend to agree that Medic is a good generic term, but I can understand where the Paramedics are coming from since in many areas, Medic and Paramedic have been synonymous for a long time. Of course, technically, they're EMTs too.

Since we're the only BLS fire department in the area, everyone (including the ER nurses) assume that we're Paramedics. We're constantly having to correct the ER staff when we come in and they ask us why we didn't do a certain ALS therapy, or make base hospital contact. They just get used to assuming anyone who shows up in a red ambulance is ALS.

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
I think for the general public, I like them just calling us all medics. But internally I like the emt designations.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I would say that it depends on the situation for me. Sometimes, especially in a large group of people, I announce myself as a medic (as if the fact that I'm getting out of the ambulance isn't enough). In a one-on-one situation, I announce myself as an EMT.

Interesting sidebar here. I responded to a two vehicle, head-on MVA with multiple ejections. I prefer to wear my bunker gear instead of my EMS coveralls on accident calls for the increased protection it provides. As I'm getting out of the front passenger seat of the ambulance (with my bunker gear on), a bystander walks up to me and asks, "Are you a medic?"

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, if I had my way, it'd be EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Advanced. Think about it. We already have the BLS and ALS designations, and the Basic/Intermediate seems to naturally suggest Advanced as the third level.

Also, the prefix "para" means "similar to", so technically, Paramedic means "similar to a medic". You'd think that'd be seen as demeaning.

Of course, California has to be different anyway. I'm not an EMT-Basic here, I'm an EMT-1. And they technically use the Roman numeral, so it's EMT-I, which looks like an Intermediate anywhere else (which is why I always substitute the "1"). And in the areas in CA that have Intermediates, they call them EMT-II's.

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
As far as I know

EMT- is EMT-B, and EMT-I

Medic, or Paramedic- is EMT-P

I dont think the general public knows the diffrence. I call myself an EMT, and people look at me like they are trying to figure out what Im talking about with out emberrasing themselves. I mention that my next step is Paramedic school, then you see the lightbulb over their head.

Russ

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Nobody has posted in this thread for over 10 years...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
He's just be necro posting and spamming a YouTube video.

rabidrider

Forum Probie
For anyone not needing my service I dont think it matters (to me anyway).

For anyone needing my service I dont think it matters. I am there to help them. Afterall I doubt they asked the 911 operator can you send a medic and not a EMT-B. If you did not ask then you might not receive. Either way you are about to get the care you need so does it really matter?

In the end I have been called much worse in my life (dumbass seems to come to mind). After a while you tend to realize it really dont matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
When speaking to English speakers they know what an EMT is unless they're completely out of the loop. As far as Spanish speakers they don't understand what an EMT is so I tell them it's a paramedic, if they wanna know more I tell them difference. As far as it goes for me, I an EMT until I get my certs.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Epic thread bump.

Indeed, most I had seen until now was 6 years....

10 years later it is revived and still no better answer....amazing how little we have come.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
When speaking to English speakers they know what an EMT is unless they're completely out of the loop. As far as Spanish speakers they don't understand what an EMT is so I tell them it's a paramedic, if they wanna know more I tell them difference. As far as it goes for me, I an EMT until I get my certs.

They use paramedic and add basic or advanced on the end if I remember correctly. They taught us medical Spanish in Paramedic school but that was a couple years ago.

Hola, me llamo HandsomeRobb, soy paramédico avanzado, como se llama?

That spelling, grammar and lack of accents is gonna make someone who speaks Spanish laugh. Or make fun of me.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Is all good man

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I jsut tell people I'm an ambulance driver. Much simpler

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I jsut tell people I'm an ambulance driver. Much simpler

This.... Also a great way to annoy your partner.

Up here everyone is a paramedic. Primary, advanced or critical . ( except for Alberta... But that will be changing soon enough)

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
The general name in NZ is "Ambulance Officer" and this is OK I guess.

Depending on your level you are either an EMT, Paramedic or Intensive Care Paramedic.

It was suggested when we changed names that EMT be called Primary Care Paramedic (like in Canada) but I don't know why it wasn't adopted; sounds much better.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Nice bump indeed, since it's up:

I just tell 'em that I work on an ambulance and let them make what assumptions they want about it lol. If they ask I'll tell them EMT, most at least have heard that in the movies. If they want to know more, I'll tell them the that there are also paramedics, or 'medics.' They can call me what they want, I've certainly heard worse!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
neither... I'm an ambulance driver