Applied for a job

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
And was not interviewed for the reason that I failed the pre-employment assessment test, which is basically a personality/risk assessment test. I've talked to a few people about it and some say lie, some say tell the truth. I recently took it again and low and behold failed again... not sure what I'm doing wrong and I have to wait three months to apply again... Help??? I'm not too sure what can be learned, by an employer, with such a test. Anybody could lie to pass it and then the first day on a truck become a liability... The test is in the format of Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Undecided, Agree, Strongly Agree... I would give examples, but signed saying I wouldn't repeat any of the questions.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
There are at least two on here that I know (including me) that have both *****ed about those kind of tests on several occasions, in fact I might have *****ed about it for the same service you're talking about. I really don't understand those tests, and for the most part don't understand what they're looking for exactly.
One of the services in OK/TX I applied for that had that made sure to say that they wanted you to tell the truth and that it would show a lie somehow. I just kinda am confused on that whole kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And I'm the other one that complains about those tests.

I've just decided that I'm going to have someone else take that test for me. :p Honestly, the face to face interview is a better determination about who's a potential fit for an organization, and I've been offered a job from every single interview I've had to date.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
And was not interviewed for the reason that I failed the pre-employment assessment test, which is basically a personality/risk assessment test. I've talked to a few people about it and some say lie, some say tell the truth. I recently took it again and low and behold failed again... not sure what I'm doing wrong and I have to wait three months to apply again... Help??? I'm not too sure what can be learned, by an employer, with such a test. Anybody could lie to pass it and then the first day on a truck become a liability... The test is in the format of Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Undecided, Agree, Strongly Agree... I would give examples, but signed saying I wouldn't repeat any of the questions.

You think that's bad. Try the MMPI, they have scales that measure how well you lied on the answer, and how good you faked it. The only answers on that test are, "True/False".

The grading scales:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory#Current_scale_composition

Some of the scales are

F - Client Faking Bad, Infrequency
L - Lie, Client "Faking Good"
K - Defensiveness (Denial evasiveness)
Fb - Client Faking Bad (In Last Half of Test)
S - Superlative Self-Presentation (Appearing Excessively Good)
[F - k] (F minus k) = Honesty of Test Responses

and many, many more. This is the test I had to take to be accepted into Paramedic school.

OP
OP
A

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
There are at least two on here that I know (including me) that have both *****ed about those kind of tests on several occasions, in fact I might have *****ed about it for the same service you're talking about. I really don't understand those tests, and for the most part don't understand what they're looking for exactly.
One of the services in OK/TX I applied for that had that made sure to say that they wanted you to tell the truth and that it would show a lie somehow. I just kinda am confused on that whole kind of thing.

Yes prolly one in the same, ETMC. I know plenty of people that work there, before this test was prolly implemented that should take it. I'm confused as well.

And I'm the other one that complains about those tests.

I've just decided that I'm going to have someone else take that test for me. :p Honestly, the face to face interview is a better determination about who's a potential fit for an organization, and I've been offered a job from every single interview I've had to date.

Honestly I'd do the same, but they'd find out lol I don't lie well at all. I usually rock at these kind of tests and face to face interviews.

You think that's bad. Try the MMPI, they have scales that measure how well you lied on the answer, and how good you faked it. The only answers on that test are, "True/False".
and many, many more. This is the test I had to take to be accepted into Paramedic school.

That's a bunch of BS. Just like the lie detector tests, there's people out there that could fool a machine.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a bunch of BS. Just like the lie detector tests, there's people out there that could fool a machine.

Think again. You'd be surprised at how accurate these tests are. They expect you to lie and they judge how well or how poorly you lie. A lie detector doesn't have $h!t on this test. The test asks questions like,

"I have thought of having sexual relations with my mother. T/F"

"My hands are the right temperature all the time. T/F"

"My nose is in control of my face. T/F"

"I am fascinated by door knobs. T/F"

The above are ACTUAL QUESTIONS that I remember from that test when I took it for paramedic school. This isn't the type of test that says obvious things like,
"Do you like to harm animals?", etc. It also asks the same questions 3 different ways and measures consistency of your answers. I can't remember if it was 500
questions or 5,000. I remember it took about 4 hours to complete though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Think again. You'd be surprised at how accurate these tests are. They expect you to lie and they judge how well or how poorly you lie. A lie detector doesn't have $h!t on this test. The test asks questions like,

"I have thought of having sexual relations with my mother. T/F"

"My hands are the right temperature all the time. T/F"

"My nose is in control of my face. T/F"

"I am fascinated by door knobs. T/F"

The above are ACTUAL QUESTIONS that I remember from that test when I took it for paramedic school. This isn't the type of test that says obvious things like,
"Do you like to harm animals?", etc. It also asks the same questions 3 different ways and measures consistency of your answers. I can't remember if it was 500
questions or 5,000. I remember it took about 4 hours to complete though.

I imagine that the creators of that test feel pretty good about themselves. :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I imagine that the creators of that test feel pretty good about themselves. :p

I'd say you are right, ha ha. They are way smarter than me, I know that. he he.

Also, in case anyone was wondering.. I have a fascination with door knobs, I wanna be a race car driver, my nose is plotting against the rest of my face, and I refuse to believe in the existence of the color blue.

That is all.

Forum Probie
I am curious as to the study behind these test. How does it test the acuracy of the lie, what is this type of test called? Are you really supposed to lie, and how can it assume that when some people do not, and how do you pass this test?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I am curious as to the study behind these test. How does it test the acuracy of the lie, what is this type of test called? Are you really supposed to lie, and how can it assume that when some people do not, and how do you pass this test?

It is called the Minesota Multi-Phasic Personality Inventory. This is one of the tests they administer to serial killers.

At the bottom of the wiki article, there are all kinds of literary references from peer-reviewed journals about the test. Take a look and read up on it if you like.

I'll copy and paste them here.

^ Tellegen, A., Ben-Porath, Y.S., McNulty, J.L., Arbisi, P.A., Graham, J.R., & Kaemmer, B. (2003). The MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical Scales: Development, validation, and interpretation. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
^ Hathaway, S. R., & McKinley, J. C. (1940). A multiphasic personality schedule(Minnesota): I. Construction of the schedule. Journal of Psychology, 10, 249-254.
^ Hathaway, S. R., & McKinley, J. C. (1942). A multiphasic personality schedule (Minnesota): III. The measurement of symptomatic depression. Journal of Psychology, 14, 73-84.
^ McKinley, J. C, & Hathaway, S. R. (1940). A multiphasic personality schedule (Minnesota): II. A differential study of hypochondriasis. Journal of Psychology, 10,255-268.
^ McKinley, J. C, & Hathaway, S. R. (1942). A multiphasic personality schedule (Minnesota): IV. Psychasthenia. Journal of Applied Psychology, 26, 614-624.
^ McKinley, J. C, & Hathaway, S. R. (1944). A multiphasic personality schedule (Minnesota): V. Hysteria, Hypomania, and Psychopathic Deviate. Journal of Applied Psychology, 28, 153-174.
^ Butcher, J. N., Dahlstrom, W. G., Graham, J. R., Tellegen, A, & Kaemmer, B. (1989).The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2 (MMPI-2): Manual for administration and scoring. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
^ Butcher, J. N., Hostetler, K. (1990). Abbreviating MMPI Item Administration. What Can Be Learned From the MMPI for the MMPI—2?. Psychological Assessment: A Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, March 1990 Vol. 2, No. 1, 12-21
^ Butcher, J.N., Williams, C.L., Graham, J.R., Archer, R.P., Tellegen, A., Ben-Porath, Y.S., & Kaemmer, B. (1992). Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-Adolescent Version(MMPI-A): Manual for administration, scoring and interpretation. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
^ Tellegen, A., Ben-Porath, Y.S., McNulty, J.L., Arbisi, P.A., Graham, J.R., & Kaemmer, B. (2003). The MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical Scales: Development, validation, and interpretation. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
^ Arbisi, P. A., Sellbom, M., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2008). Empirical correlates of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales in psychiatric inpatients. Journal of Personality Assessment, 90, 122-128.
^ Castro, Y., Gordon, K. H., Brown, J. S., Cox, J. C., & Joiner, T. E. (In Press). Examination of racial differences on the MMPI-2 Clinical and Restructured Clinical Scales in an outpatient sample. Assessment.
^ Forbey, J. D., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2007). A comparison of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) and Clinical Scales in a substance abuse treatment sample. Psychological Services, 4, 46-58.
^ Handel, R. W., & Archer, R. P. (In Press). An investigation of the psychometric properties of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales with mental health inpatients. Journal of Personality Assessment.
^ Kamphuis, J.H., Arbisi, P.A., Ben-Porath, Y.S., & McNulty, J.L. (In Press). Detecting Comorbid Axis-II Status Among Inpatients Using the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical Scales. European Journal of Psychological Assessment.
^ Osberg, T. M., Haseley, E. N., & Kamas, M. M. (2008). The MMPI-2 Clinical Scales and Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales: Comparative psychometric properties and relative diagnostic efficiency in young adults. Journal of Personality Assessment. 90, 81-92.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Bagby, R. M. (In Press). Personality and Psychopathology: Mapping the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales onto the Five Factor Model of Personality. Journal of Personality Disorders.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Graham, J. R. (2006). Correlates of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales in a college counseling setting. Journal of Personality Assessment, 86, 89-99.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., McNulty, J. L., Arbisi, P. A., & Graham, J. R. (2006). Elevation differences between MMPI-2 Clinical and Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales: Frequency, origins, and interpretative implications. Assessment, 13, 430-441.
^ Sellbom, M., Graham, J. R., & Schenk, P. (2006). Incremental validity of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales in a private practice sample. Journal of Personality Assessment, 86, 196-205.
^ Simms, L. J., Casillas, A., Clark, L .A., Watson, D., & Doebbeling, B. I. (2005). Psychometric evaluation of the Restructured Clinical Scales of the MMPI-2. Psychological Assessment, 17, 345-358.
^ Sellbom. M., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2006). Forensic applications of the MMPI. In R. P. Archer (Ed.), Forensic uses of clinical assessment instruments. (pp. 19-55) NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., Baum, L. J., Erez, E., & Gregory, C. (2008). Predictive validity of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales in a batterers' intervention program. Journal of Personality Assessment, 90. 129-135.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., Lilienfeld, S. O., Patrick, C. J., & Graham, J. R. (2005). Assessing psychopathic personality traits with the MMPI-2. Journal of Personality Assessment, 85, 334-343.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Stafford, K. P. (2007). A comparison of measures of psychopathic deviance in a forensic setting. Psychological Assessment, 19, 430-436.
^ Sellbom, M., Ben-Porath, Y. S., Graham, J. R., Arbisi, P. A., & Bagby, R. M. (2005). Susceptibility of the MMPI-2 Clinical, Restructured Clinical (RC), and Content Scales to overreporting and underreporting. Assessment, 12, 79-85.
^ Sellbom, M., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2005). Mapping the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales onto normal personality traits: Evidence of construct validity. Journal of Personality Assessment, 85, 179-187.
^ Sellbom, M., Fischler, G. L., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2007). Identifying MMPI-2 predictors of police officer integrity and misconduct. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 34, 985-1004.
^ Stredny, R. V., Archer, R. P., & Mason, J. A. (2006). MMPI-2 and MCMI-III characteristics of parental competency examinees. Journal of Personality Assessment, 87, 113-115.
^ Wygant, D. B., Boutacoff, L. A., Arbisi, P. A., Ben-Porath, Y. S., Kelly, P. H., & Rupp, W. M. (2007). Examination of the MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical (RC) Scales in a sample of bariatric surgery candidates. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 14, 197-205.
^ Tellegen, A., Ben-Porath, Y.S., McNulty, J.L., Arbisi, P.A., Graham, J.R., & Kaemmer, B. (2003). The MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical Scales: Development, validation, and interpretation. Minneapolis, MN2). An MMPI handbook: Vol. I. Clinical interpretation. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
^ Caldwell, A. B. (1988). MMPI supplemental scale manual. Los Angeles: Caldwell Report.
^ Harkness, A. R., McNulty, J. L., Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Graham, J. R. (2002). MMPI-2 Personality-Psychopathology Five (PSY-5) Scales: Gaining an overview for case conceptualization and treatment planning. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
^ Butcher, J. N., Hamilton, C. K., Rouse, S. V., & Cumella, E. J. (2006). The deconstruction of the Hy Scale of MMPI-2: Failure of RC3 in measuring somatic symptom expression. Journal of Personality Assessment, 87, 186-192.
^ Caldwell, A. B. (2006). Maximal measurement or meaningful measurement: and Nichols. Journal of Personality Assessment, 87, 148-171.
^ Gough, H. G. (1950). The F minus K dissimulation index for the MMPI. Journal of Consulting Psychology, 14, 408-413.
^ Gough, H. G. (1957). California Psychological Inventory manual. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
^ Wiener, D. N. (1948). Subtle and obvious keys for the MMPI. Journal of Consulting Psychology, 12, 164-170.
^ David Armstrong, (March 5, 2008) "Malingerer Test Roils Personal-Injury Law; 'Fake Bad Scale' Bars Real Victims, Its Critics Contend The Wall Street Journal
^ 40. Greiffenstein M.F., Fox D., Lees-Haley P. (2007) MMPI-2 in Detection of Non-credible Brain Injury Claims. In K.B. Boone (Ed.) Assessment of Feigned Cognitive Impairment: A Neuropsychological Perspective (pp. 210-235) New York: Guilford Press.
^ 41. Press Release:http://www.pearsonassessments.com/news/pr011107.htm
^ 42. Larrabee G.J. (2005) Assessment of Malingering. Forensic Neuropsychology: A Scientific Approach. (pp115-158). New York: Oxford University Press; Greiffenstein M.L., Baker W.J., Axelrod B., Peck E. & Gervais R. (2004) The Fake Bad Scale and the MMPI-2 F-family in detection of implausible trauma claims. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 18, 573-590; Henry G.K., Heilbronner H.L., Mittenberg W., Enders C., & Stanczak S.R. (2008) Comparison of the Lees-Haley Fake Bad Scale, Henry-Heilbronner Index, and Restructured Clinical Scale 1 in identifying noncredible symptom reporting. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 22, 919-929.
^ 43. Downing S.K., Denney R.L., Spray B.L., Houston C.M., Halfaker D.A. Examining the relationship between the Reconstructed Scales and the Fake Bad Scale of the MMPI-2. (2008) The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 22, 680-688.
[edit]See also

redbull

Forum Lieutenant

They just ask you the same questions with different wording BUT you must answer it correctly (if you chose STRONGLY AGREE for one, it must be STRONGLY AGREE for the other). Of course, if it asks something negative like, "Do you like to steal" You would NOT put Strongly Agree... Common sense.