Anyone using Ultrasound?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The Phillips Lumify looks like an impressive ultrasound device made for EMS. Is anyone using one?

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I’ve played with it but didn’t love it, although that was very early in its development and it might be better now.

I have and prefer a butterfly IQ. The image quality isn’t as good as something like a GE venue, but is more than adequate for line placement and POC exam. I do really like that I get imaging similar to using a phased and linear probe but only having to purchase and carry one.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've seen similar units before, I don't get to use one at work because we don't have them... that being said, all I personally use an ultrasound machine for is PIV placement.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not yet but it is being explored. I’m not holding on for this year as it looks like we will possibly be getting new ventilators, IV pumps, and autopulses

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Is there any potential use to diagnose bone fractures?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe, depending on the clinical context and what you're looking for. But why?

EDIT: As in ultrasound as a modality can be theoretically used to detect fractures. But why would EMS need to use it in this capacity?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
While you could use ultrasound to diagnose bone fractures, they'd only be clinically relevant to the field if the field providers could refer/transport directly to an orthopedist.

ToddTheMechanic

Forum Ride Along
I don't know anything about that particular device, but I do use ultrasound relatively frequently. Our work is in a hyperbaric environment so we use ultrasound assessment on anyone who complains of shortness of breath, chest pain, blunt chest trauma, anything of the sort to assess for pneumothorax. IV placement would be another application, but we don't frequently have to start IVs and the population I work in are usually healthy easier sticks.

TXmed

Forum Captain
We use the lumify. We love it. Great price of equipment. The only problem is we keep ours in our bag so eventually the wire at the site of the probe gets worn out and wonky creating problems

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
@TXmed Nice! What are your primary uses for the Lumify?

TXmed

Forum Captain
EFast exam, IVC, lung, cardiac assessment, IV line placement, eventually use it for arterial lines

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
We're currently in the process of upgrading to the V-Scan.