Any weird psych patients?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown recalls this one very strange psych case who had an orange jumpsuit and a cat in the hat hat ....

EMSrush

Forum Captain
:wacko: Had an elderly Pt (89)., that we had to physically remove from the bathroom, stark butt naked, tell me and my partner, (he had one arm and I had the other), that she was going to sh*t on us, then she let a really big, wet, fart out. Both of us jumped as far away from her as we could without letting go. YIKES!!!

OMG I'm rolling, laughing.... I can just picture it! :lol:

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
Heard this one from County PD. 60 something y/o female walking down the road naked playing a banjo. Only in West Virginia

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
I had 3 last week in the ER the first one was schizophrenic and had recently stopped talking,eating, etc and was there so the doctor could have him admitted and when i tried to take his temp he damn near bit the thermometer in half.

later in the night i had a guy who grabbed my hand while i was trying to do something but cant recall what and i swore he was going to bite me because he pulled it to his mouth so fast that i didnt have time to react and luckily he just licked the back of my hand but thankfully i had a glove on and his care giver told me that was his way of saying hi and he likes me.

the last lady was around 90 something and was a sundowner and when i tried to get blood draw from her she started going off in what sounded like a combination of three languages and fighting against me. so myself along with a few others restrained her and while we were doing this she was trying to spit on one of the nurses (failed because of her lack of teath) while yelling "policia" at the top of her lungs and the entire ED stopped to watch. then when i finally stick the needle in she starts saying something about el diablo so im still not sure if she was calling me the devil or trying to put a curse on me. it was sad for the lady i never like to restrain elderly patients who earlier in the day were as sweet as can be but the things she was yelling were quite entertaining.

Sumredhead86

Forum Ride Along
Had an old lady grab me by the middle of the bra through my shirt as the nurse and I were trying to change her. Damn good grip for an old lady! I couldn't let go of her cause I was the only one holding her... She didn't let go either! :blush:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm sure she's long gone by now... but I once had a little old lady with a good case of dementia. She lived in Los Gatos. The problem was that if you told her that she lives in Los Gatos, she doesn't live there. You had to tell her that you were taking her home to "Los Gaddis". She'd lived there pretty much her whole life. Pronunciation made a HUGE difference. Tell her one way and she'd fight you tooth & nail. The other way... calm & cooperative as can be. To this day, I suspect that I'm one of a very few people that managed to get full sets of vitals without having to fight her.

She was rarely all that coherent, but... pleasant once you figured out how to talk to her.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Heard this one from County PD. 60 something y/o female walking down the road naked playing a banjo. Only in West Virginia

Lol. I know an Escondido PD officer who was sent to an incident once where a naked guy was standing in the middle of a busy divided city street, pointing a TV remote at passing vehicles. When my friend asked him what he was doing, he said that he was purifying them, whereupon he turned and pointed the remote at my friend and informed him that he needed to be purified as well. Needless to say it became a 5150.

RatMed

Forum Probie
Call to a psychatric patient in the middle of the night. Guy in his 50s sits on a bed looking scared like hell. He tells us: 'guys, sorry to bother you at night but something strange happens to me: I can see people in this room. I woke up, lit the lamp and saw them standing there. I know they are my imagination but they seem as real to me as you are. They are still here, right behind you'. 'Are they doing anything?' we asked. 'No, they just stand there and stare at me'. On the way to hospital he started to freak out real bad. No previous history of mental problems, no drugs, no alcohol. Pretty creepy.

RNL

Forum Probie
Call to a psychatric patient in the middle of the night. Guy in his 50s sits on a bed looking scared like hell. He tells us: 'guys, sorry to bother you at night but something strange happens to me: I can see people in this room. I woke up, lit the lamp and saw them standing there. I know they are my imagination but they seem as real to me as you are. They are still here, right behind you'. 'Are they doing anything?' we asked. 'No, they just stand there and stare at me'. On the way to hospital he started to freak out real bad. No previous history of mental problems, no drugs, no alcohol. Pretty creepy.

Maybe they were there...

I had a call few years ago to a 54yrs old male with "severe arrythmia and chest pain". 4:27 AM, January, freaky cold, streets covered with ice, so we are snailnig 40km/h with sirens on (good age, good time of the day for a heart attack) and when we finally reached the destination it turned out, that the elvator was out of order- 9th floor this time. So we climbed with all the equipment thinking how will we transport the guy down in case of confirmed myocardial infarction...When we entered the pt room I knew, that something strange is going to happen. He was lying in bad in quite comfortable position, with 3 fingers of his left hand on his right wrist:

- What's the problem, sir?
- I've been checking my pulse since midnight, all the time, and there is something wrong...
- What bothers you?
- I HAVE NO PULSE!

- So what have you done, when you realized, that you have no pulse?- I asked
- What?! CPR ofcourse!!!

Guy was performing something which looked like a chest compressions on his own chest...

Last edited by a moderator:

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Older lady patient
When we came into the house she was laying on the couch, and her middle aged son told her, "The fire department is here." She replied, "Fire department!? There ain't no fire here!" Then her son said, "They are the medics her to take you to the hospital." She replied, "I ain't sick!"

If nothing was wrong with her, why did she call 911? :wacko:
She did not refuse transport after a sermon for her son though. :rolleyes:

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
During my clinical internship I had a psych pt make a 4in x 4in pyramid out of a tuna sandwich and his own feces. His caretaker said he had been hiding his meds somewhere, but couldn't find them anywhere. We found approximately 30 pills caked into his pubic hair. Oh, and he had an affinity for four letter words. I can still smell it....

uhbt420

Forum Crew Member
During my clinical internship I had a psych pt make a 4in x 4in pyramid out of a tuna sandwich and his own feces. His caretaker said he had been hiding his meds somewhere, but couldn't find them anywhere. We found approximately 30 pills caked into his pubic hair. Oh, and he had an affinity for four letter words. I can still smell it....
oh man, that reminds me.

arrived at a snf for an ift. elderly female pt who, for some unknown reason, had her bedpan on her bedside table. she was eating her breakfast when we arrived. when my partner started talking to her she took a butter knife, dipped it in the bedpan, smeared the feces on her toast, and took a bite. my partner immediately lunged to the sink and vomited and i grabbed the bedpan and put it on the floor. she got all angry and said "why are you moving my apple butter?"

i can still smell it on her breath... and i haven't eaten apple butter since...

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
I seen a lot when I was working for a private psych hospital here in Reno. Granted I was only the PBX operator but I was ALWAYS the first person everyone can into contact with when they walked in the door.

There is a buzzer on the front entrence door that every had to push to get in, unless you worked there and had key.

One night it was about 8pm I was getting ready to close up the front desk area, there was a homeless man that buzzed the door, I asked over the intercom how can I help you sir? He said "yeah I need to see a doctor!" I buzzed him in, he came up to the desk and said yes I need a doctor, I said no problem I'll get someone in A&R to help you. He said hurry I need help, while I got on the phone with a&r they man lifted up his shirt in front of me and when I seen I will never forget.....he had what looked like 3in cuts ALL over the front of his cheast they were bleeding pretty bad as well.

I stopped talking to a&r and said Sir I am going to call an ambulance for you, you need to go to the hospital and get help right away, he said well I thought this was a hospital. I explained we were not a medical hospital and that I will be more then happy to get him someone who can help.

He said no that's okay ill get there myself, he turned around and left. There was nothing I could do to stop him, I had no right to hold him. The beioch in assesment came out and said where did he go? I said he left when I offered to call an ambulance for him, she started to yell at me telling me I needed to stop him. I just looked at her and said how do you suggest I do that? He was bleeding very badley, I have no right to put my hands on him and you heard the conversation I had with him while I had you on the phone.

She just walked back into the office. The next morning I got a call from my new boss who happen to be the head of A&R he was a new boss and didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground... Long story short I was fired for breaking EMTALA.

To this day I get so pissed when I think of that situation.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
oh man, that reminds me.

arrived at a snf for an ift. elderly female pt who, for some unknown reason, had her bedpan on her bedside table. she was eating her breakfast when we arrived. when my partner started talking to her she took a butter knife, dipped it in the bedpan, smeared the feces on her toast, and took a bite. my partner immediately lunged to the sink and vomited and i grabbed the bedpan and put it on the floor. she got all angry and said "why are you moving my apple butter?"

i can still smell it on her breath... and i haven't eaten apple butter since...

I just almost had to lunge for the sink.