Any weird psych patients?

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
Once was in an alcoholic/frequent flier patient's room to take vitals/record fluid intake. They informed me he could be a real loony but I just tried to behave normally. I picked up a cup to see how much he drank and he started screaming-- swearing at me, asking me what kind of person touches other people's drinks, the works.

I walked out feeling like I was made of jell-o and asked the nurse if he had issues with people touching other people's drinks. :wacko:

I had another CNA cover that patient the rest of his stay...

And then there was the 80-yo lady in the nursing home that attempted to jump me, but that's another story. :D

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Believe me, that's nothing.

The thing that always strikes me is how REAL these situations are to these patients, and how awful it must be to genuinely live in fear of other people constantly. It seems to me that's the most common thread amongst psych patients... fear/paranoia. Must be awful.

OP
OP
A

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
Believe me, that's nothing.
It was plenty for my first week on the job. :lol:

The thing that always strikes me is how REAL these situations are to these patients, and how awful it must be to genuinely live in fear of other people constantly. It seems to me that's the most common thread amongst psych patients... fear/paranoia. Must be awful.
I know. I could never imagine feeling like that all the time...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Take your pick from my last 2;

Had one that disagreed with our destination city so much, that she hit me and kicked my partner... she lost the ensuing wrestling match against 11 people. I didn't even say WHY we were headed there, just said the name of the city. "But I don't WANT to go to Denton!" was what she said just before she swung at me.

Had one absolutely convinced that I was both a cop and that I had put a tracker in her nose (I hadn't been near her nose at all up to that point) and that cars were telling me where she was at all times.

Those are just the last 2 I've had...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Had one that disagreed with our destination city so much, that she hit me and kicked my partner... she lost the ensuing wrestling match against 11 people. I didn't even say WHY we were headed there, just said the name of the city. "But I don't WANT to go to Denton!" was what she said just before she swung at me.

Just curious, was there any specific reason you were going to that hospital? I've had a patient once request to go to a different hospital with psych resources and the only reason the assisted living facility (the patient was at an assisted living facility and decided to go voluntarily instead of waiting for police to actually fill out the hold. Patient definitely suffering acute psychatric issues, was refusing transport, but not particularly a danger as of yet, so it was low priority for the PD :() wanted him to go to that specific hospital was that it was closest. The alternative was 5 minutes further up the road.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The sending facility, whilst a level 1 trauma, tends to just 'stabilize' psychiatric emergencies then send them out to long term psych hospitals, which is what this was. Though they typically send to another hospital in Dallas, so I don't know why this one was to be sent 45 minutes north.

The patient had an OPC, which is all I needed to make her go where the doc wanted her to go. (Aside from her not being AO)

Until, that is, and injury happened.... :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ah, inter-hospital instead of a scene call... gotcha. That's a different situation all together.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
weird psych pt.

:wacko: Had an elderly Pt (89)., that we had to physically remove from the bathroom, stark butt naked, tell me and my partner, (he had one arm and I had the other), that she was going to sh*t on us, then she let a really big, wet, fart out. Both of us jumped as far away from her as we could without letting go. YIKES!!!

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
My favourite psych patient was a paranoid scizophrenic who was being followed everywhere by Special Branch who were watching his every move.

Of course everyone dismissed this as a paranoid delusion, until it turned out that he was ex-MI6 and special branch were following him everywhere. :lol:

He was certainly more fun than the man who jacked himself off at night whilst fantasising about strangling me with his special blue tie. :unsure:

And the guy who wanted to tell me what raping a 14 year-old was like. :eek::

Or the bloke who saw nothing wrong with walking around the supermarket groping old women. :wacko:

OP
OP
A

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
:wacko: Had an elderly Pt (89)., that we had to physically remove from the bathroom, stark butt naked, tell me and my partner, (he had one arm and I had the other), that she was going to sh*t on us, then she let a really big, wet, fart out. Both of us jumped as far away from her as we could without letting go. YIKES!!!

I had a patient threaten to do that. And then they gave it a shot. Except was all mucus. Had a fissured hemorrhoid if I recall correctly...

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I love the psych transports, but my last job was all psychiatric patients, so I feel at home LOL. I remember though my very first ride along we picked up a drunk who also was prescribed seizure meds. She flipped out, peed herself, swore we were the russians coming to imprison her. Kept asking "why do you keep coming here? We leave your country alone, why can't you leave us alone? I don't wanna be a commie!" Pin point pupils, and lots of fear. Why do you want my SSN? I don't have to give that to you! "Well, you don't but I can't bill your insurance w/o it" still refused, but that's o.k. because she was medicaid and on getting her card we had all the info we needed. Luckily she gave us that LOL. Poor woman flipped out when she arrived at her buddie's house who died the week before. She forgot about the death and spiraled when she realized he wasn't coming back again. :(

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Had one a few days ago. Luckily she was with it enough to realize she needed treatment, she was just mad at the voices in her head. I was sitting on the bench seat, and she kept giving the cpr seat dirty looks. She finally looked over at the seat again, flipped it off, and said, "Shut the f*** up, or I'll really f*** you up!" Then she looked over at me and apologized for her language, but the voices were making her mad.

The most interesting one I can remember was a 92 year old dementia patient, known for being combative. He fell out of bed and was complaining of neck pain, so he was backboarded. He really didn't like that. On the way to the hospital, he got an arm free, ripped off the c-collar, and threw it at me. Partner pulled over, got him secured again, but in the process he proceeded to sucker punch me. He didn't get free the rest of the trip.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Whilst on a ride with a Lakeland, Florida ambulance crew we got toned out for the second psych of the day. On arrival there were Lakeland police everywhere as well as FD on scene. PT was sitting on the curb wearing boxer shorts and a vest and I noticed a fresh bandage around his right elbow. Apparently PT was sat on his front porch and when a car came down the road opposite his house, when it stopped to turn he ran into the road and started punching the windows out. When he had finished with this car he ran down the road and started attacking the cars on the local dealers lot. Still don't know why but the medic asked if he had neck and/or back pain. Of course PT says yes. While FD holds C spine the EMT goes and gets a collar and LSB. So theres me, the EMT and the FD strapping him on the LSB and he fakes a seizure (decorticate), man this dude has muscles on his muscles so we all jump back and it only lasts 2-3 seconds. We carry on strapping him and as we finish he throws another 2-3 second wobbly only THIS time he actually breaks a strap (thorax). Any hows we get him in the truck and I am at the PT's head, a female officer is to my left, a male officer at his feet and medic in the middle. All of a sudden he is struggling to get up. Bear in mind we have a broken strap. I am pushing down on his right lower arm, the female officer the same on his left, the medic is holding the middle region down and the male officer literally jumps and sits on his lower legs. As the male officer did this he lost his balance, turned to hold onto something and accidently brushed PT's genital area. PT shouts out 'You just touched my cock!' PD says sorry it was an accident. Meanwhile bandage comes of PT's elbow, he hits arm on side splitting wound open and I get blood all up my arm. He calms down and we are still holding him but only lightly. Female officer is stroking his head as the drugs to calm him down take effect and PT looks at her and says 'You're an angel, I want to f*** you with my big black c***', this made me laugh, she continued stroking his head looked at him and said 'Sorry dear, you're not my type. Anyway, to cut short, he was Baker Acted at the local hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Female officer is stroking his head as the drugs to calm him down take effect and PT looks at her and says 'You're an angel, I want to f*** you with my big black c***', this made me laugh, she continued stroking his head looked at him and said 'Sorry dear, you're not my type. Anyway, to cut short, he was Baker Acted at the local hospital.

So basically it was the opposite of this case...

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Katgrl; you didn't mention that your medic was driving while you were getting beat up in the back

emt_irl

Forum Captain
aa while back i had a girl in after taking some sort of hallucinogenic argued with me that she wouldnt answer a word until i kicked the girl wearing silver out of the room(pointing at the sink) i was stuck for words and said "em maybe both of us should leave the room, i dont think shes able to"

then of course im always called a gard(cop) by our drunken customers as all they see is the high viz jacket and dont care whats written on it or its colour.

another favorite one was a guy who argued with our ambulance and kept punching it as it annoying him/ trash talking him. that was an interesting transport i tell you!

curt

Forum Crew Member
Interfacility transport on an elderly alz pt from the hospital floor to a nursing facility. When we arrived, we knew we were in for it because the nurses started yelling "Oh thank GOD, EMS is here!" when they saw us. So, upon taking the report, we learn that she's advanced alzheimers, has a history of hitting, biting, and spitting, and being generally coocoo for cocoa puffs. The nurses thank us for coming for her and wish us good luck as they hand us the packet.

We walk in, introduce ourselves, and find our pt laying on the bed mumbling incoherently about "the weathertub" (weather tub), and one stressed out family around her. We load her onto the stretcher, take her out to the truck pretty much without event, and begin transport. As soon as the doors shut, she begins to strip, just like any good psych pt instinctively knows to. I tell her that she doesn't need to do that, to keep her clothes on, and to just relax. Of course, this helps nothing, so I grab a sheet and cover her up with it and then fix the abdomen buckle, which she's worked down to her knees, and the chest buckle, which she's worked up to her neck. As soon as I do these things, she looks at me like I'd just slapped her and continues mumbling about the weathertub as if she's rationalizing the insult out. After a bit, of her continuing to attempt to strip and me continuing to cover her back up, she turns her attentions to the wall of shelves and sliding-glass cabinets where our pt care items are stored and attempts to open one of the cabinets with her frail old hands for a few minutes before exclaiming that she couldn't get the cabinet to open, and me returning fire with a relieved "Ohyesss, that's quite alright ma'am."

She then proceeds on to classic Alzheimers and begins yelling for people that aren't in the truck, and gives up when she doesn't get an answer. After a few rounds of that, she cycles back to trying to strip down. Finally, after 30 long minutes of this, we arrive at our destination, fix her up and cover her back up, bring her inside, and are forced to deal with her continued efforts to strip while we ask the nurses to point us to where she's supposed to go. Of course, because we're asking some nursing facility staff to help or do work, it's like asking cattle to do dishes- they just stare at you and continue to absent-mindedly chew on whatever is set before them. This continues for a minute before I ask "Please?" in a "NOW, PLEASE?!" tone. We're then led to her room, lower her down even to the bed, undo the straps, the whole 9 yards. Then, as we go to do our sheet draw, I take my place at her right shoulder and fail to notice that she's reached across with her left hand and grabbed hold of the rail of our stretcher. We initiate the draw and find that she's stopped in mid-draw with a deathgrip on our stretcher while she's proclaiming "No! NO!" Fortunately, we're able to, only temporarily of course, safely let her lay on the edge of both beds because we can get the two close enough together. Everyone piled on that hand to get it loose, and while that's going on, I hear "NNNNNGGGHH" and look up to see her moving her head towards my hand, still hanging onto the draw sheet. I have a flashback to every Resident Evil game I've ever played and quickly snatched my hand away from her (an acceptable alternative to shooting her in the head, imo). We get her hand loose and get her the rest of the way drawn over into her bed, and she settles down.

As I'm getting my paperwork signed, I hear her talking, and she suddenly starts talking with a little clearer and more pronounced voice. She looks past me and at the wall and says "You see that there?" and nods her head at the wall. "You see that? That's what they gon' do to that weathertub. They gon' drain that weathertub. Come on, come get in the weathertub!" She exclaims as she starts to kick her sheets off and sit up. Family gets hold of her and lays her back down. They then proceed to lecture her as everyone else in the room stops to watch. This is the most serious this old woman has been the entire time, and a degree of sobriety stains her pale, wrinkled face as her eyes sink a little and her mind seems to gain a little ground on reality. There's a long, quiet pause, and then she looks at her daughter and asks "Well, where can I get a washrag?"

Daughter asks "What do you need a washrag for?"

The old woman responds "So I can do the dishes."

Everyone seems to chuckle about it, but it's also a little sad. Gotta enjoy the little things, though. I wish the family well and leave with my paperwork and my sanity intact.

Sumredhead86

Forum Ride Along
I had one tell me about bringing religion and canned tuna to the state of MA. One told me that the gov asked him to crash into an asteroid. One lady thought i was her mom ( who am I to argue?) One lady groped my male partner on her 60th wedding anniversary!

Emtpbill

Forum Crew Member
Had a 16 yof last night, freaking out cause parents wouldn't let her go away with boyfriend for weekend. Locked herself in room. When cops finally got her handcuffed she was still freaking out. Gave 2 of Ativan, when that didn't calm her , went to give another 2 of Ativan. Just as I am getting ready to give it IM in her left arm, she looks at me and yells " go ahead, stick it in me daddy, I like that , stick it harder. ". Thank goodness there were 2 other females in the back o the truck with me, one being a cop.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a 16 yof last night, freaking out cause parents wouldn't let her go away with boyfriend for weekend. Locked herself in room. When cops finally got her handcuffed she was still freaking out. Gave 2 of Ativan, when that didn't calm her , went to give another 2 of Ativan. Just as I am getting ready to give it IM in her left arm, she looks at me and yells " go ahead, stick it in me daddy, I like that , stick it harder. ". Thank goodness there were 2 other females in the back o the truck with me, one being a cop.

:blush: