Any volunteer FFs in the house?

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
How do the shifts work when volunteering? I am will continue my EMS employment and eventually start medics and I would like to volunteer. What was your experience like? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I should proof read....

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
acd932f6ceae0b9f762bdac3bbc6601c.jpg

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Will vary from dept to dept. Generally, there is a minimum number of hours that you staff the engine (weekly/monthly) and percentage of calls that you respond to from home. Staffed shifts are often during daytime hours.

Sleepnheat

Forum Probie
I currently run with a small department (13 members) in rural VT. Everybody responds from home and depending on who shows up and when, may be driving engine, running pump, directing traffic, etc. We have a great group and I truly enjoy working with them. But like it was already stated; hours, shifts, etc. will vary from department to department. Up her in VT, almost all of them are not staffed - response is from work, home, etc.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In my area the surrounding areas of the city are mostly combination departments with seemingly rather onerous requirements. They require a few 24s a month in the station as well as training. The upside is that you get your Fire 1, Hazmat, and EMT paid for if you play it well. The downside of course being that you could just get a part time job and get paid for those hours (I do that...)

In the more rural areas it's a respond from home and go to training once a month sort of thing and it could take a while to get Fire 1 one done.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
So I have applied today and got to meet the whole crew at the volly dept. I am pretty stoked on the fact that I will have hands on training when it comes to fire and will be running EMS calls with the resident medics. Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Also, there is often weekly "training" which will vary in quality depending on the dept; some run solid programs and others are more similar to a social club (with too many mustaches).
Yes sir! I have my first training next wednesday

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
We do NOT staff our station, we are 100% volunteer day and night. We all respond when we can and most are from home. Good luck, stay safe and have fun learning.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Well from what I have heard we are supposed to be training but if the same game is played here, that the "new guy" is just watching, I am gonna bounce, I am there to learn and participate cause If I have to sit around without pay I could be doing that in the comfort of my underwear at home.

Last edited:

Sleepnheat

Forum Probie
Well from what I have heard we are supposed to be training but if the same game is played here, that the "new guy" is just watching, I am gonna bounce, I am there to learn and participate cause If I have to sit around without pay I could be doing that in the comfort of my underwear at home.

You will probably start out as a gofer......go for this, go for that. But that is the start of the learning & training process. In my case, my second call I was on the nozzle with a structure fire. We learn by doing....even if there is less formal training. Don't be afraid to get in there and get your hands dirty. Roll hoses, wash trucks, etc. Ask an officer to take your through the apparatus and learn where everything is and what tools are used for what, i.e. prying, striking, etc.

It is a very rewarding experience, I guarantee it!

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Also worth considering that i have a volly EMS thats closer which responds to many more calls. So I am gonna apply there as well.