Any good ambulance companies in Orange County

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
All of the contracted 911 companies (Care, Doctors, Medix, Emergency, Shoreline) are BLS and currently the only 911 ALS is the fire departments. The contracted companies provide transport and responds in conjunction with a paramedic fire crew. The fire medic rides along with the hospital if need be. In fact, the only OC company currently running paramedics of any kind is Lynch through a pilot study. The private company 911 paramedic policy is currently going through a public comment period.

Thanks for the response. I could be mistaken but doesn't mccormick also do als? Either way as long as i got in with one of the companies you mentioned I should be able to get some good 911 experience right?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not sure if McCormick does 911 response in OC. They do in Los Angeles though.

As far as "good 911 experience in OC" goes, those terms just don't go together. Orange County protocols are laughably small both in scope of practice and protocol (they're "comprehensive standing orders" is a sham given that the base hospital MICN guide has a ton of extra options, which even that is limited), the private companies often respond code 2 while the fire departments respond code 3. The end result is the 911 EMTs are often stretcher fetchers for the fire department.

So, sure... if you get hired at Care or Doctors you'll get some 911 experience. Whether it qualifies as "good" or not is open to interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not sure if McCormick does 911 response in OC. They do in Los Angeles though.

As far as "good 911 experience in OC" goes, those terms just don't go together. Orange County protocols are laughably small both in scope of practice and protocol (they're "comprehensive standing orders" is a sham given that the base hospital MICN guide has a ton of extra options, which even that is limited), the private companies often respond code 2 while the fire departments respond code 3. The end result is the 911 EMTs are often stretcher fetchers for the fire department.

So, sure... if you get hired at Care or Doctors you'll get some 911 experience. Whether it qualifies as "good" or not is open to interpretation.

To add to this, I've been told that most OC fire crews will get mad if you as do as much as touch their box or monitor.

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
I see. Well that's a bit dissapointing i guess. And i know what you mean about the scope. I was looking at that online.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant

You nailed it on the coffin, however, Care responds code 3 to every call in LA,Fullerton, and Anaheim. Go to Care over Doctors if you can because at Care you will get more experience. You can work in house at the fire stations with the crews in Anaheim,Fullerton, and La habra. Also, in LA the medics let the EMT's do a LOT of stuff, whereas in Orange County the medics don't let you do sh*t. So if you're not in house with the fire crews in Orange County, the vibe on scene is going to suck because you are simply a gurney jockey.

MikloHP

Forum Probie
Of all the companies listed, Care is superior, though I hate to admit it. I used to work their among other companies. I worked in LA for two years. My family has a lot of ties with EMS in LA and Orange County, and have equally worked for many. Of all of them, Care is probably the best. Bowers/Pacific ambulance is full of shinanigans as are most others. In OC, Care is your best option. Caries slowly becoming the Hall ambulance of Orange County. For those that don't know, Hall ambulance is more like a well played game of Monopoly than anything else. Likewise, Care pretty much has OC in the palm of their hand. They have the thickest knee pads of any company and will fight tooth and nail to keep/obtain their contracts.

If you want a good company, Care is the spot. However I would highly discourage working in the OC division if possible. Unless of course your into S&M, which is how you are treated by their firefighters.

The Los Angeles division is somewhat better. Way more laxed and somewhat better calls. The firefighters treat you better, though they are subject to some of the highest ridicule since they lowered their hiring standard to just above the leve of a primate. Either way, you will find your niche. Just remember, no matter where you go, you are just a number. The days of Mother Jugs and Speed are over.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Likewise, Care pretty much has OC in the palm of their hand. They have the thickest knee pads of any company and will fight tooth and nail to keep/obtain their contracts.
Don't forget that OCFA (which, granted, does relatively little business with Care compared to Doctors and what Medix used to be) has no issue [female dog] slapping ambulance companies for not towing their line. Example? Medix.
If you want a good company, Care is the spot. However I would highly discourage working in the OC division if possible. Unless of course your into S&M, which is how you are treated by their firefighters.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would get all hot and bothered by being subjected to S&M by firefighters.
The Los Angeles division is somewhat better.

Yea... but it's LA.

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
Cool Thanks for all the help. MikloHP, what do you mean "days of Mother Jugs and Speed"? Also, I saw a company called Liberty that says they operate IFT and some 911 out of LA and OC. All I found on here was a thread from a year, maybe 2 years ago. Anyone know a little bit about them?

IndyEMT

Forum Probie
Try Liberty?

Liberty Ambulance is based in Downey but they have an OC station in Lake Forest. I'm working there currently, good company on the rise. Only problem I have is that it's not 911 so I'm looking for an alternative. Also Liberty pays $11/hr starting for EMTs :D

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

SkiMaskWay

Forum Crew Member
How about you post some actually decent posts instead of hte one or two word replies you've been doing?

Americare is a big sham....they pretend to be so good... And the reality is they are just As bad as any other dialysis company ...they have one little Santa Monica Fire contract 5 units. A lot of new EMTs think they're gonna get a spot there but they actually find themselves doing non stop dialysis and Torrance Memorial discharges with no sleep( no no that's not ems its more like scheduled medical transportation) . Recently when minimum wage was increased. They stopped paying 24 out of 24 and docked the Paramedics pay by 30 dollars on a 24 hour shift. The insurance sucks no real bennies. The supervisors are just as rotten as the greedy owner. They cut so many corners to one up you its too much to list here . its the epitome of a dead end .they used to pay 19.24 an hour for Paramedics now the Medics are down to around 15....how is it possible that you make less money with more time you put in...

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
...how is it possible that you make less money with more time you put in...

It's jaw dropping, steam shooting from your ears level angry, possible.

I typed up a long winded reply for the OP then realized this thread was back from the dead. Wonder where the OP ended up?