Any firefighters here?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just curious if any of you EMTs are also firefighters? Which do you like better?

As for myself, I joined to VFD specifically to become an EMT. I had no intention of getting into fire supression at the time. But since then, I've started to have other feelings. I'm pretty sure I want to take whatever path leads to driving the engine. But being an EMT is still the main thing for me.

firelieut4013

Forum Ride Along
im a just a firefighter/lieutenant .. not an emt yet .. in school to be one tho

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I am a firefighter, although I just obtained Firefighter II at the end of last year, I'm also an EMT-B. My husband is also a firefighter on the same volunteer fire service I'm in.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i was a FF, these days i just do the rehabs, play gunga din , and watch from the rig

if one holds the newspaper just right, nobody knows your napping....

~S~

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a FF.

I prefer EMS.

I don't play in fire anymore, although the cert is nice on the resume.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm a FF/EMT also, but I actually prefer the fire side more than EMS.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
FF/Paramedic here.
I like both sides of the house. We have to be certified in structural and aircraft rescue firefighting - it never gets boring!

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
FF/EMT here with a VFD. I actually got started in EMS (in an industrial capacity) a couple of years before I got into the fire service.

Growing up in Southern California, the two have always been more or less the same in my mind. The FDs have been the primary EMS responders since the 70s here (and even before that to some extent).

I go back and forth on which I like better. I think EMS is basically what got me into the fire service, but I enjoy the firematic side too...enough so that I'm training to become an Engineer, which will reduce the amount of time I spend on the ambulance. Our Engineers still respond to EMS calls and may be the primary patient care provider, but they rarely ever go in on a transport. Part of me hates to give that up (just as part of me hates the idea of being on the pump panel at a fire instead of on the line), but its still something I want to do.

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
I'm an EMT/FF also. Got my EMT 10 years ago, started in fire about 3 years ago.

I feel like it is comparing apples and oranges. I like both for different reasons. Kind of like skiing and snowboarding. I like them both for different reasons, not one more than the other.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thinking about it....

emtbuff

Forum Captain
As of right now I'm mainly EMS. I am working on getting on the fire side to do more with my Rescue Tech cert that I obtained almost a year ago:) I'm trying hard to get on and who know maybe it will happen.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I am a member of a VFD, but choose not to run because of the politics....

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I do both also...EMS has been my thing for 12 years, firefighting has been my thing for 5 years...and even though I am certified to go into a burning building my chief prefers me to run the truck...seeing as I am the only one comfortable with running any truck I am put on, ours or someone elses...as for the EMS I do that every 3rd day...and being a medic in a als/bls service can get exhausting if every call is als and you have a basic partner...so the FD gives me a chance to do my thing without having to go to the ER and do the paperwork :)

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Emt/FF here. I have been an Emt for close to 23 years & a FF for 25 years. Depending on the mood I am on any given day then decides which end of the field I'm playing in (Ems or Fire).

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Both. Started with my EMT, then went straight into FFI, then went ALS - I have most of the requirements for FFII but my back injury is keeping me from being active as a FF.