Announcing your intentions to become an EMT

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Has anyone here had difficulties with their family members, specifically their spouse/sig other, accepting their decision to pursue a career as an EMT?

My husband isn't taking it well. He "prefers" me as a graphic designer. I've told him that until I finally become a paramedic I won't make enough money as an EMT for us to live on, so I will continue to work full-time as a designer and just part-time as an EMT. I don't even start training until September (was going to start next month, but money is too tight to afford the fee)... He knows that this is my dream and, while I love doing design, I want to do this more.

Interestingly, all of his concerns are about money/image, not my saftey or emotional well-being!

Any advice?

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
Do you have an experience with EMS?

Could you just a volunteer squad to get some ride time in?

Also, my squad helps pay for classes. May want to look into that.

OP
OP
snizzle.snoozle

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Do you have an experience with EMS?
Could you just a volunteer squad to get some ride time in?
Also, my squad helps pay for classes. May want to look into that.

I don't have any experience with EMS. Thought about becoming a paramedic before I went to art school... I had a buddy who went into it. I used to borrow his books when he was finished with them. It's always resonated with me. However, I had myself convinced that the only thing I was good at was art so I never pursued it.

I'm getting certified in CPR and first aid this weekend, so after that I will try to volunteer somewhere if I have time. Going to be working 2 part-time jobs in the spring in addition to my full-time job as a designer to cover for my husband not being able to work (he's in grad school and is taking 19 credits next semester). Hopefully one of those jobs will be as a nursing aid (which I've done before and is so easy!).

Do EMS agencies hire part-time data entry people or file-clerks? That would be cool to do part-time while waiting for September and training to roll around...

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
I was in a similar situation that you are in, my girlfriend was not very happy when I told her that I wanted to be an EMT. After talking about why I want to do this and the different opportunities it opens up in healthcare, she understood why I want to be an EMT and is very supportive. She knows that becoming an EMT is the first step for me into healthcare and that I am moving on to other things like paramedic, RN, etc. I know how you feel, it helped for me to just talk it over with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have any experience with EMS. Thought about becoming a paramedic before I went to art school... I had a buddy who went into it. I used to borrow his books when he was finished with them. It's always resonated with me. However, I had myself convinced that the only thing I was good at was art so I never pursued it.

I'm getting certified in CPR and first aid this weekend, so after that I will try to volunteer somewhere if I have time. Going to be working 2 part-time jobs in the spring in addition to my full-time job as a designer to cover for my husband not being able to work (he's in grad school and is taking 19 credits next semester). Hopefully one of those jobs will be as a nursing aid (which I've done before and is so easy!).

Do EMS agencies hire part-time data entry people or file-clerks? That would be cool to do part-time while waiting for September and training to roll around...

Not having experience in EMS and then deciding to invest a lot of time and money into a career move could be pretty scary. You could get into and not be able to handle some of the things you could come across in a days work. Some people just aren't cut out for it. That's another reason i suggested to try and get with a volunteer squad. Volunteer rescue is all I have ever done.

reaper

Working Bum

Don't take this wrong!

Your husband can go to school for what he wants, But does not want you to do what you want?

Why not tell him to quit school, so you can go? Bet that doesn't go over to well.

It is your life and your marriage, no one can tell you how to handle it.

I will tell you that if you are unhappy in life and do not make a change for the better, you will end up hating your husband for it. This will only lead in one direction.

So sit him down and talk to him about it. If he doesn't see that you are not happy, then the next step is your decision to make!

gamma6

Forum Crew Member
i think spouses and others should be happy about a person being an EMT and giving back to the community. you help people what else do they want? granted the hours are odd and sometimes you don't get off on time but hell i'll take my 24-48s over a 8-5 job any day.

now that i think about it, i don't think i could work a regular job for as long as i have been doing this.

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
If I were you, I would sit him down and talk to him why. Even write out why you want to do this. This is going to be my career after high school as well so technically, it will be a big change but im excited. I think somethings dazzle some people in terms of the things I might wind up coming across but its apart of the job and worth to accept it. The whole reason of why I want to do this is to give back. I personally have a strong desire to help others and make the world a better place then it already is with some of the things I see out there so thats my reason and my family and friends are pretty understanding. Good luck though, I hope you make the best decision for you.

OP
OP
snizzle.snoozle

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Not having experience in EMS and then deciding to invest a lot of time and money into a career move could be pretty scary. You could get into and not be able to handle some of the things you could come across in a days work. Some people just aren't cut out for it. That's another reason i suggested to try and get with a volunteer squad. Volunteer rescue is all I have ever done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one must be certified to even do volunteer work, correct?

I have not definitely decided to give up design, and I hope that during training I will find out whether or not the work is truly for me.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one must be certified to even do volunteer work, correct?

I have not definitely decided to give up design, and I hope that during training I will find out whether or not the work is truly for me.

Yes you do need an EMT certification to volunteer as one. However, you may still be able to ride as an observer before you start the class to get a feel for the job. Also, I hope you did choose an inexpensive route for EMT school. One that is affiliated with a community college is usually less expensive and will allow you to use those credits for entry into their Paramedic program.

How much longer until your husband finishes his grad school? Sometimes a marriage is about sacrificing a little for each other so both can eventually achieve their goals and dreams. Your husband has put alot of work into grad school and hopefully he will soon reap the benefits of his efforts and that you will gain from them also.

It is possible for you to get an EMT cert and work full time since there are not that many hours of training involved. If you have already been a CNA (nursing assistant), you will be way ahead of the rest of the class when it comes to basic patient care needs. The EMT cert is just a baby step but should give you some idea about what you want to choose for your own future. Keep your current employment during this process. Even if you decide it is not right for you, the EMT cert will give you some basic first aid knowledge that might be helpful somewhere.

Did you know his education goals when you married him and the commitment or sacrifices it would take?

Did you tell him before you were married or before he started grad school that you wanted to be an EMT or Paramedic?

resq330

Forum Lieutenant

With our squad, they give you a year to get your EMT (Which they pay for). Until you get it you can still run calls and learn all kinds of things that will help you when time to take your EMT class.

Piper76

Forum Probie
I would suggest really voicing your feelings to your husband. Let him know that although money may get tight, you will be a much happier and fulfilled person. And as I see it, how could that be a bad thing for the both of you?

You need to do what is right for you, if not you might end up resenting the situation. Not a good thing.

/Speaking from experience.

My two cents..

I wish you the best of luck though! :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone here had difficulties with their family members, specifically their spouse/sig other, accepting their decision to pursue a career as an EMT?

My husband isn't taking it well. He "prefers" me as a graphic designer. I've told him that until I finally become a paramedic I won't make enough money as an EMT for us to live on, so I will continue to work full-time as a designer and just part-time as an EMT. I don't even start training until September (was going to start next month, but money is too tight to afford the fee)... He knows that this is my dream and, while I love doing design, I want to do this more.

Interestingly, all of his concerns are about money/image, not my saftey or emotional well-being!

Any advice?

Image? What pray-tell does he mean by image? Sounds like jealousy. :glare:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Not always--I know of one organization that will take people who just have CPR certs, and another that assigns students to crews of three or more as soon as they have CPR and begin basic classes. Neither is anywhere near PA, but you might get lucky if you look for positions doing concert standby or the like.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Is it really about money and image or about the fact that you'll be working long shifts with primarily men? Something to ask him about.

jester_1269

Forum Probie
I'm in agreement with resq330...

Having no experience in EMS and jumping right in is a bold move, at best. Most volly services will allow you to ride along. I would HIGHLY recommend you do that to get a feel for it. Actual EMS is nothing like what you see on TV.

You will not be glorified, you will not be honored, you will be puked/spit/bled on, you will be assaulted, everyone will hate you until they need you, you will have cars pull out in front of you and slam on the brakes...on purpose, your life will at times be in danger, you will not eat, you will not sleep, you will write run reports...a lot of them, you will be cold wet and tired...and then tones will drop, you will see things that will make you wake up screaming, and, if you're right for the job, you'll come back and do it all over again the next day.

Not saying you CANT do it, I'm just saying make sure you have no misconceptions of what we do. If you think you're going to save lives, think again. We dont save lives, we simply prolong the inevitable...if you keep that in the back of your head, you will have a much longer career as an EMT.

And god do I love the job B)