AMR Victorville Transfer:

Endlessnight760

Forum Ride Along
Hey all! I was hoping someone could answer a few questions I have about AMR Victorville division. I’m currently with AMR Lancaster; and we run 911 up here but I live in Victorville and would love to transfer up to Victorville since I live 10 minutes away from station. I realize that me transferring would be good however I wanted to know if there is a lot of OT to pick up since they run 12’s? Also wanted to know what the union is like and how the transfer process is. I love picking up overtime and that’s my main thing is if I’m able to pickup a lot. Thanks in advance

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Why don’t you go in and ask them since you live 10 minutes from Station? You’re already an employee... I’m sure they will have a discussion about transferring with you.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why don’t you go in and ask them since you live 10 minutes from Station? You’re already an employee... I’m sure they will have a discussion about transferring with you.
Management isn’t always knows for being the most accurate source of information. There are some who are truthful and then others who would tell you that the planet was flat if that’s what you wanted to hear.

I believe @CTMD might have accurate information for you.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
OT comes and goes, but more often then not it’s available especially compared to other divisions. I think you will be fine.

They have multiple 24 cars, but you’re unlikely to get placed on one full time right away.

You place you’re internal transfer online and contact both HRs informing them of your intent. It’s pretty straightforward but the union doesn’t have a hand in that.

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
Hey all! I was hoping someone could answer a few questions I have about AMR Victorville division. I’m currently with AMR Lancaster; and we run 911 up here but I live in Victorville and would love to transfer up to Victorville since I live 10 minutes away from station. I realize that me transferring would be good however I wanted to know if there is a lot of OT to pick up since they run 12’s? Also wanted to know what the union is like and how the transfer process is. I love picking up overtime and that’s my main thing is if I’m able to pickup a lot. Thanks in advance
Are you a medic or an EMT? The OT is pretty decent right now for EMT's and is spotty for medics. Between open shifts and people giving away their shifts, it's not hard to find OT opportunities.
If you transfer you will lose all of your seniority as our union doesn't allow transfers to keep any. It doesn't really matter for OT but it means you would get a pretty lame regular schedule (nights/weekends).
Speaking of the union, it's going from a good 'ol boy's club to a more "conventional" union mentality. There is a slow changing of the guard but it's still pretty political and petty. There is a lot of "us vs them" going on between field employees and the union. That being said, I don't think the union is inherently bad but it isn't really great either and hasn't done much for the many.
Between the three AMR divisions in ICEMA, Victorville is definitely the most chill in terms of management so there's a plus.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
The union is there to protect employees; but your union doesn't allow transfers to keep seniority? Who wrote and signed that contract?

It doesn't sound like your union is any good for the employees; it seems like they are more pro company.

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
The union is there to protect employees; but your union doesn't allow transfers to keep seniority? Who wrote and signed that contract?

It doesn't sound like your union is any good for the employees; it seems like they are more pro company.
The union is a good 'ol boys club. They've created an us vs. them mentality and they designed the contract to keep people out and just retain our own people. They were concerned about losing their good shifts to outsiders with higher seniority so they don't allow you to keep any seniority when you transfer in. They're not pro company, they just look out for themselves.