AMR to take over Rural-Metro contract

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Don't confuse the city of San Diego with San Diego County.

Metro has the city.

The only exception being the Medic "Rescue" rigs staffed with a R/M EMT and an SDFD medic. I believe the engine medics have to rotate through every so often. There's only a few and IIRC, all in North San Diego. As far as AMR taking over, the Rural guys I talked to said they are going to be allowed to stay on their units if they want but cannot transfer down to the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kidquick

Forum Probie
AMR recently took over our transports from RM and for the most part it's been a world of difference. To the folks at RM's credit though, the full-timers got switched to 24 hour shifts a few years ago and it was basically the beginning of the end... It's too busy here for that nonsense.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
The OCFD "ambulance" looking things aren't actually ambulances they're "medic vans" or some BS like that. Can transport in a pinch (read: high profile patient like EMS, PD or FD).

I thought the private used to do BLS and the OCFD medic rode in if it was ALS?

are you referring to OCFA (orange county fire authority)? then yes, the ambulance VANS they use are only used to transport fire guys if necessary.. OCFA does have a couple ambulance BOXES (3 i believe) that are staffed by EMTs that do transportation for all patients. Doctor's, Care, and Medix are the private companies that staff the EMTs that do the transports. On ALS calls, the medic will hop on the back with their gear and the engine/medic van will meet at the hospital to pick their crew and gear up.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
are you referring to OCFA (orange county fire authority)? then yes, the ambulance VANS they use are only used to transport fire guys if necessary.. OCFA does have a couple ambulance BOXES (3 i believe) that are staffed by EMTs that do transportation for all patients. Doctor's, Care, and Medix are the private companies that staff the EMTs that do the transports. On ALS calls, the medic will hop on the back with their gear and the engine/medic van will meet at the hospital to pick their crew and gear up.

So basically exactly what I said...

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
So basically exactly what I said...

except San Diego is not in Orange County, its in San Diego County... and EMS is run differently there.

GhostMedic

Forum Ride Along

The System you describe is by far in a way the best system I have come across in my 30+ years in EMS. It was the second system I was introduced to, and the one that I refer to when lecturing as the best designed system

With a single organization handling the ALS services, and multiple providers handling the transportation services, everyone wins... Fire gets to maintain a larger than would be normally provided by tax dollars, due to the added calls... and they get to look like heroes all of the time. The privates win, because they get to maintain a response territory that is exclusive to them... and don't have to worry about the gigantic conglomerates gobbling everything up, and it keeps more dollars at home circulating in a local economy rather than being sent back to Colorado or Phoenix.... or Norway.the Public wins, because multiple providers can serve a large region by carving it up and parcelling it out... more resources, manpower, and vehicles.

Both the companies and the fire agencies work well together, and the system runs smoothly. Most of the EMT's on the rigs go to the academy and are eventually brought into the fire service.

It truly works well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The System you describe is by far in a way the best system I have come across in my 30+ years in EMS. It was the second system I was introduced to, and the one that I refer to when lecturing as the best designed system

With a single organization handling the ALS services, and multiple providers handling the transportation services, everyone wins... Fire gets to maintain a larger than would be normally provided by tax dollars, due to the added calls... and they get to look like heroes all of the time. The privates win, because they get to maintain a response territory that is exclusive to them... and don't have to worry about the gigantic conglomerates gobbling everything up, and it keeps more dollars at home circulating in a local economy rather than being sent back to Colorado or Phoenix.... or Norway.the Public wins, because multiple providers can serve a large region by carving it up and parcelling it out... more resources, manpower, and vehicles.

Both the companies and the fire agencies work well together, and the system runs smoothly. Most of the EMT's on the rigs go to the academy and are eventually brought into the fire service.

It truly works well.

So EMS serves to line the fire department's budget, serve as a recruitment ground for new fire fighters, and makes the fire deparment into heroes?

Let me ask you a question. If you had the choice of being treated by a Wake County medic or a Boston EMS medic, or an OCFA medic, which service would you choose. Please consider the differences in scope of practice between those two agencies and OCFA's scope and protocols.

terrible one

Always wandering

It truly works well.

Umm maybe you should leave SoCal EMS before stating how good their EMS system is. Unfortunately it's at the bottom of the barrell compared to the rest of the United States.

GhostMedic

Forum Ride Along
So EMS serves to line the fire department's budget, serve as a recruitment ground for new fire fighters, and makes the fire deparment into heroes?

Let me ask you a question. If you had the choice of being treated by a Wake County medic or a Boston EMS medic, or an OCFA medic, which service would you choose. Please consider the differences in scope of practice between those two agencies and OCFA's scope and protocols.

That's a tough question... Because I agree with you that they all have very diverse training and operate under varying protocols and treatment modalities. However, I honestly would't allow another paramedic to touch me or a member of my family, for very good reason. You see, one killed my baby girl... through his incompetence and arrogance... and yes, that is my honest answer... so with me (please don't be offended) no other paramedic, other than me would ever touch a member of my family.

I hope that you can appreciate my position.

Now, in regard to my earlier comments... I am not advocating or endorsing an fire-based EMS system, with the privates playing an ancillary roll. What I'm really trying to say is in my experience (36+ years), this is a system that seems to work the best, due to resource availability to the community. that's it... all political agendas and personal motives cast aside.

GhostMedic

Forum Ride Along
Umm maybe you should leave SoCal EMS before stating how good their EMS system is. Unfortunately it's at the bottom of the barrell compared to the rest of the United States.

Funny you should say that.... my daughter died at the hands of one from Missouri.... you see... there's always one. One of you guys in a crowd. I assure you, had she been in California, she would have most assuredly lived. Of that, I have no flippin doubt.

But, I have an opinion that I have to voice from time to time, just like you have an *** that you have to show from time to time.

Do you really think I am a pro-fire EMS stooge? I couldn't give a rats-behind about the "Union" or the "Privates." Both are lying asses... I have seen what the unions have done first-hand, I also have seen what the privates do.

Dude, I am so far removed from all of this, I don't care about your agendas. I was merely stating that in my years of experience... that was the system that SEEMED to work best and benefitted the public the most, while remaining cost-effective, was the system in Orange County California.

Now run along sonny... your mama's calling you, and don't hurt yourself with the defibrillator...

terrible one

Always wandering
Funny you should say that.... my daughter died at the hands of one from Missouri.... you see... there's always one. One of you guys in a crowd. I assure you, had she been in California, she would have most assuredly lived. Of that, I have no flippin doubt.

1) I'm sorry for your loss, however, one experience does not define an entire system.
2) what makes you so sure she would have survived due to the providers in CA?

But, I have an opinion that I have to voice from time to time, just like you have an *** that you have to show from time to time.

Not really sure there is a reason for the condescending statement?

Do you really think I am a pro-fire EMS stooge? I couldn't give a rats-behind about the "Union" or the "Privates." Both are lying asses... I have seen what the unions have done first-hand, I also have seen what the privates do.

I have no idea what your stance on union or non-union agendas, seems pretty irrelevant for this thread.

Dude, I am so far removed from all of this, I don't care about your agendas. I was merely stating that in my years of experience... that was the system that SEEMED to work best and benefitted the public the most, while remaining cost-effective, was the system in Orange County California.

Now run along sonny... your mama's calling you, and don't hurt yourself with the defibrillator...

I don't recall having an 'agenda' in any of this. That's great that you believe their system works. So instead of posting ancedotal evidence try backing up your statment. What evidence do you have that this system is cost effective? beneficial to the public is a very ambiguous statment. How about defining the parameters for 'beneficial' and how exactly does Orange County exceed these parameters compared to other systems?

If you can please post something without the derogatory statements. It does little to improve your position.

JPINFV

Gadfly
1) I'm sorry for your loss, however, one experience does not define an entire system.
2) what makes you so sure she would have survived due to the providers in CA?
...because even paramedics in OC are little more than a glorified taxi service in regards to scope of practice. It's really hard to screw the pooch when you can't do much in the first place.