AMR santa barbara, San Luis Ambulance, or Hall

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
They pay (paid?) DOE. A guy like me would do alright, but yeah perhaps a few years in it’d be feasible for you.

One of the medic trainees mentioned living inland, again similar to Santa Barbara County, made it completely livable.
What does DOE stand for? Sorry lol

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Cant speak to AMR but ive had my eye on them for a while as it looks amazing out there.

I know that slo is amazing, I was offered a job with them that i sadly had to turn down. Amazing stations, amazing people and equipment, Fire is BLS and really friendly. incredible area. Starting pay for medics was around 15 an hour from what i remember. There a bit intensive for the hiring process but id say its worth it.

hall is a great company and i know alot of people who work there, HOWEVER, if your gonna go into the depths of hell of bakersfield just go to liberty which is still kern county but now 90% better than hall. pays new medics 21 an hour starting wage (thats a VERY high step rate at hall fyi), automatic 48 hour shifts with 96 off, All new equipment, ambulances, 90% 911 with some ift (but you'll have that at hall too or basically anywhere you go) Its now a pretty difficult company to get hired on with cause its now hospital based but its a really great job.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Amazing stations, amazing people and equipment Fire is BLS and really friendly.
Hmmm, the one thing that didn’t strike me as terribly impressive with SLA- the way that they handled, or seemed to take care of equipment.

Again, some of their FD’s are ALS (which is fine by me), and “cooler” than others. All directly from one of my last paramedic interns who actually went to Cuesta College and interned with us.
hall is a great company and i know alot of people who work there, HOWEVER, if your gonna go into the depths of hell of bakersfield just go to liberty which is still kern county but now 90% better than hall. pays new medics 21 an hour starting wage (thats a VERY high step rate at hall fyi), automatic 48 hour shifts with 96 off, All new equipment, ambulances, 90% 911 with some ift (but you'll have that at hall too or basically anywhere you go) Its now a pretty difficult company to get hired on with cause its now hospital based but its a really great job.
1. Liberty is in Ridgecrest, not Bakersfield.

2. Every Liberty employee I’ve asked regarding the new buyout seems to shrug their shoulders when asked about all of the new “changes”.

3. That is a high step on our wage matrix. I’m inclined to wonder why it’s so high, and if or when that well will dry up.

4. They’ve recruited some of the EK people (so I’ve been told), none of whom were exactly tenured employees.

So, yeah, I agree if money’s your bag it seems to be certainly better paying. 90% better is certainly a matter of opinion.

5. I’ve never worked there, so can’t really harp on them, but weren’t you the same guy complaining about how fire treats you in your area in another thread?

I’d imagine like anywhere, you give to get.

To the OP, there’s always three sides: mine, his, and what will be (your truth). Liberty is certainly worth a look, same I guess could be said for Delano Ambulance, and Tulare Co. (American Visalia, Imperial Ambulance, etc.)

Again, all of these places will have their pros and cons...to you. I’m just not big on selling half truths, i.e., one (my) side only.

ETA: HALL’s 48’s mirror KCFD’s. Which ends their 48-hour cycle with 8 days off.

Merely food for thought, as I know of EK people who have not wanted to go to Ridgecrest (Liberty) for this reason.

Last edited:
San luis is going down hill. They can force you without any extra incentive and have no fatigue policy. They are cost cutting and no longer pay double-time for pager car shifts. Overtime is non-existent.

Santa Barbara pays you double-time for forces and triple-time for forces on a holiday. They also pay double-time for overtime shifts.

Most of the need right now is north county, they have 10+ open medic shifts including multiple 24s. 24s aren't hard to get anymore. There are 7 24 hour stations with an 8th station in the works in Buellton. $20k sign on bonus for 3 year contract.

Living in SLO county and working in north county Santa Barbara is most certainly possible.

If you end up in north county, here is a list of relatively affordable places to live-

SB County: Lompoc, Vandenberg Village, Los Alamos, Orcutt, Santa Maria, Guadalupe

SLO County: Oceano, Nipomo, Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach, Pismo Beach, Atascadero, Templeton, Santa Margarita, Paso Robles, Cambria, Morro Bay

San Luis runs an extreme skeleton crew model and don't give any consideration for UHU. They run their crews into the ground and the employees are not unionized. They can give you a transfer to Stanford with less than one hour left in your shift. They cascade post 24 hour stations when calls drop. For example, if Morro Bay gets a call, the San Luis Obispo 24 gets to post at 3am until the Morro Bay unit clears the call.

Fun.

Meanwhile, Santa Barbara is unionized and UHU is followed strictly. Every unit has designated transfer times and most 24s can't get long distance transfers past noon. The only exception is Lompoc, which can't get sent on a long distance transport past 6pm.

Flex units are placed last up for any calls with 30 mins left in their shift.

Only the Santa Maria and South County 24s post in a central location when it's down to only one ambulance in Santa Maria or two ambulances in South County.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I used to work with one of the former Liberty supervisors, at another job, during the purchase by RRH and worked the area during that time.

All of the crews that I interacted with were all friendly. The equipment at the time was far from new, along with the ambulances. This was about 9 months ago

When they went from their old schedule to their new one they needed to keep the employees at roughly the same annual wage so that was the reason for the increased pay.

I still interact with a lot of people who are in the RRH area and it doesn’t sound like a lot has changed.

What I will admit was completely different for me was it being a slow day and a single critical call goes out and all the ambulance crews decide to respond in the city. I am only used to getting multiple ambulances if I request them. But that is one of the differences between a very busy urban system and a more rural system.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
What I will admit was completely different for me was it being a slow day and a single critical call goes out and all the ambulance crews decide to respond in the city. I am only used to getting multiple ambulances if I request them. But that is one of the differences between a very busy urban system and a more rural system.
Yes, come to think of it I have seen this on a few of our backfilling of the auto launches.

None of which (I thought) were particularly critical, but hey, who knows...

Delano Ambulance did this to us once on a call as well. This patient was RSI critical, but they’re hardly what I’d consider rural since we backfill their area not infrequently.

@Addrobo thanks for the reminder. One thing about working Metro Bakersfield @nwarren is that they can’t hold you past your off duty prep (ODP) time. If you elect to take a call then you’re certainly welcomed to.

This was done to boost morale for one, but has worked wonders, and is quite nice. BLS handoffs are also a thing. Still can’t have our basics tech the call if it’s a P/B car like @Addrobo says SB County does.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes, come to think of it I have seen this on a few of our backfilling of the auto launches.

None of which (I thought) were particularly critical, but hey, who knows...

Delano Ambulance did this to us once on a call as well. This patient was RSI critical, but they’re hardly what I’d consider rural since we backfill their area not infrequently.

@Addrobo thanks for the reminder. One thing about working Metro Bakersfield @nwarren is that they can’t hold you past your off duty prep (ODP) time. If you elect to take a call then you’re certainly welcomed to.

This was done to boost morale for one, but has worked wonders, and is quite nice. BLS handoffs are also a thing. Still can’t have our basics tech the call if it’s a P/B car like @Addrobo says SB County does.
Yep. There was an electrical injury with a single patient. It got 2-3 engines, 3 ALS ambulances, a BLS unit, supervisor, and airship stand-by since it was in the city.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yep. There was an electrical injury with a single patient. It got 2-3 engines, 3 ALS ambulances, a BLS unit, supervisor, and airship stand-by since it was in the city.
So this is also something to consider as a new paramedic— volume and types of calls.

Sure you could work in an area that’s nicer, or slower, or both. But your exposure to critical calls may take longer, as might your comfort level.

This is all really just food for thought of course. You could always start in a busy area and transfer out, or move on to another company that suits your lifestyle better.

Ultimately only you’ll know what’s going to work out best for you. GL.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
San Luis runs an extreme skeleton crew model and don't give any consideration for UHU. They run their crews into the ground and the employees are not unionized. They can give you a transfer to Stanford with less than one hour left in your shift. They cascade post 24 hour stations when calls drop. For example, if Morro Bay gets a call, the San Luis Obispo 24 gets to post at 3am until the Morro Bay unit clears the call.

Fun.

Meanwhile, Santa Barbara is unionized and UHU is followed strictly. Every unit has designated transfer times and most 24s can't get long distance transfers past noon. The only exception is Lompoc, which can't get sent on a long distance transport past 6pm.

Flex units are placed last up for any calls with 30 mins left in their shift.

Only the Santa Maria and South County 24s post in a central location when it's down to only one ambulance in Santa Maria or two ambulances in South County.
Right on, that sounds pretty nice... yeah really the only thing I'm concerned with about SB county is the pay that AMR SB gives and the cost of living... so your overtime starts at double time??

Right on, that sounds pretty nice... yeah really the only thing I'm concerned with about SB county is the pay that AMR SB gives and the cost of living... so your overtime starts at double time??

The pay is actually pretty decent and the overtime is there if you want it. We have medics making up to $160k.

Making six figures is not out of the realms of possibility here.

Base pay is 60ish for a brand new medic I believe.

And no, it's time and half. I mean if you pick up anything extra right now, they usually give you double-time.

Cost of living isn't so bad if you live in some of those areas I mentioned. It's possible to live a couple blocks from the beach for $1000-1600 a month depending on how many bedrooms.

And you also pay for all the other things that come along with this place: Less traffic (mostly 2 lane freeways!), less crime, better schools, a ton of things to do if you're the outdoorsy type, and just an overall feeling of it being a generally sweet area to live in. Just being away from the hustle and bustle daily grind that most of California has to offer is key for me.

And that's not even touching on how underrated the EMS system is here.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
The pay is actually pretty decent and the overtime is there if you want it. We have medics making up to $160k.

Making six figures is not out of the realms of possibility here.

Base pay is 60ish for a brand new medic I believe.

And no, it's time and half. I mean if you pick up anything extra right now, they usually give you double-time.

Cost of living isn't so bad if you live in some of those areas I mentioned. It's possible to live a couple blocks from the beach for $1000-1600 a month depending on how many bedrooms.

And you also pay for all the other things that come along with this place: Less traffic (mostly 2 lane freeways!), less crime, better schools, a ton of things to do if you're the outdoorsy type, and just an overall feeling of it being a generally sweet area to live in. Just being away from the hustle and bustle daily grind that most of California has to offer is key for me.

And that's not even touching on how underrated the EMS system is here.
I love it. Thats rad. I'm assuming the management and culture is pretty chill as far as coworkers go and everything?

I love it. Thats rad. I'm assuming the management and culture is pretty chill as far as coworkers go and everything?

North county is more chill and laid back than south county in my opinion. The overall culture is pretty chill. Some of the people here haven't worked anywhere else so they don't truly realize how good they have it when it comes to private EMS. My viewpoint is that yes, private EMS is generally crappy, why not work somewhere that has some of the best things to offer instead of being pummeled into the ground on a daily basis?

Management usually leaves you alone as long as you are doing your job. You can go multiple days in a row without seeing management in person depending on what station you are at. PM me for more specific questions you want answered.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
North county is more chill and laid back than south county in my opinion. The overall culture is pretty chill. Some of the people here haven't worked anywhere else so they don't truly realize how good they have it when it comes to private EMS. My viewpoint is that yes, private EMS is generally crappy, why not work somewhere that has some of the best things to offer instead of being pummeled into the ground on a daily basis?

Management usually leaves you alone as long as you are doing your job. You can go multiple days in a row without seeing management in person depending on what station you are at. PM me for more specific questions you want answered.
Cool, I PMed you. Thanks!!

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Hmmm, the one thing that didn’t strike me as terribly impressive with SLA- the way that they handled, or seemed to take care of equipment.

Again, some of their FD’s are ALS (which is fine by me), and “cooler” than others. All directly from one of my last paramedic interns who actually went to Cuesta College and interned with us.

1. Liberty is in Ridgecrest, not Bakersfield.

2. Every Liberty employee I’ve asked regarding the new buyout seems to shrug their shoulders when asked about all of the new “changes”.

3. That is a high step on our wage matrix. I’m inclined to wonder why it’s so high, and if or when that well will dry up.

4. They’ve recruited some of the EK people (so I’ve been told), none of whom were exactly tenured employees.

So, yeah, I agree if money’s your bag it seems to be certainly better paying. 90% better is certainly a matter of opinion.

5. I’ve never worked there, so can’t really harp on them, but weren’t you the same guy complaining about how fire treats you in your area in another thread?

I’d imagine like anywhere, you give to get.

To the OP, there’s always three sides: mine, his, and what will be (your truth). Liberty is certainly worth a look, same I guess could be said for Delano Ambulance, and Tulare Co. (American Visalia, Imperial Ambulance, etc.)

Again, all of these places will have their pros and cons...to you. I’m just not big on selling half truths, i.e., one (my) side only.

ETA: HALL’s 48’s mirror KCFD’s. Which ends their 48-hour cycle with 8 days off.

Merely food for thought, as I know of EK people who have not wanted to go to Ridgecrest (Liberty) for this reason.

So to be frank, It seems like you jump into threads and sorta slam me on stuff that is baseless.
yeah fire sucks in my area, They still do. They're actually a whole lot worse now cause they're too scared to do any pt contact so they show up and stand outside the house and refuse to have any pt contact whatsoever..... So? What does this have to do with the ups and downs of a company? Whats the point of that aside from you just trying to do a little jab at me somehow?

How am i selling "half truths"? im stating facts about a company that im aware of. its not my side, its facts.

Also i was basing the fact that if the poster is looking at hall, he has to expect that he may not work just bakersfield as hall owns 90% of kern county. yes all new guys start in metro from my understanding, i get it. But what about when he gets kicked to cal city or somewhere else?

Anyways. im not responding to you again.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
So to be frank, It seems like you jump into threads and sorta slam me on stuff that is baseless.
yeah fire sucks in my area, They still do. They're actually a whole lot worse now cause they're too scared to do any pt contact so they show up and stand outside the house and refuse to have any pt contact whatsoever..... So? What does this have to do with the ups and downs of a company? Whats the point of that aside from you just trying to do a little jab at me somehow?

How am i selling "half truths"? im stating facts about a company that im aware of. its not my side, its facts.

Also i was basing the fact that if the poster is looking at hall, he has to expect that he may not work just bakersfield as hall owns 90% of kern county. yes all new guys start in metro from my understanding, i get it. But what about when he gets kicked to cal city or somewhere else?

Anyways. im not responding to you again.
//shrugging// So, sorry you’re taking things personal, but you’re outright saying the FD sucks in your area.

I can’t speak to it 100%, but what I can say is I’ve never really had any issues with KCFD—throughout the county.

The occasional run in, sure, but wouldn’t you agree that this is a pertinent “good to know” if one’s pursuing a career in your area?

As far as half truths, welp just look at what I’ve highlighted about your post here: half truths.

No one gets kicked to another area, and HALL does not “own” any parts of the county. We do dispatch 100% of the ambulance companies.

In fact, the EOA’s that just went to bid in EK remained open. This was sent to employees by memo via our owner.

I’ll gladly admit that HALL is nowhere near perfect, I know plenty of co-workers who spew similar sediments. The issue I have is when people (not you specifically, cochise) think that they know both sides of said company without having sat in on both.

Anyhow, I’ll remain indifferent about all of it because afterall, it’s all just a business. This thread is meant for the OP re: the 3 companies.

It sounds like the OP already made his decision anyhow. So, have a nice day.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
ETA: @mrhunt, about the FD not wanting to go in on patients. I get it, they did the same to my nurse and I with one of our last patients. But, to be fair, I warned them what was coming in to their pad.

And honestly? That’s ok. Why do I need them on every call most of the time, let alone when that’s one more provider to be exposed in the midst of a viral pandemic?

Maybe we differ here, and that’s ok. But comradeship perhaps translates differently to everyone. You don’t have to answer, lol, no skin off my back.

Again though, the way the calls flow amongst the providers in any given area often speaks volumes about the all of the responders in that area respectively. Can we agree on this?

Haha, sorry for the derail @nwarren.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
ETA: @mrhunt, about the FD not wanting to go in on patients. I get it, they did the same to my nurse and I with one of our last patients. But, to be fair, I warned them what was coming in to their pad.

And honestly? That’s ok. Why do I need them on every call most of the time, let alone when that’s one more provider to be exposed in the midst of a viral pandemic?

Maybe we differ here, and that’s ok. But comradeship perhaps translates differently to everyone. You don’t have to answer, lol, no skin off my back.

Again though, the way the calls flow amongst the providers in any given area often speaks volumes about the all of the responders in that area respectively. Can we agree on this?

Haha, sorry for the derail @nwarren.
All good haha, I totally get it