AMR santa barbara, San Luis Ambulance, or Hall

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
hello yall. I've been looking at a lot of places in CA that I would like to work at as a medic after school ends (nearing the end of didactic right now), and I have penciled it down to three areas: SB, SLO, or bako. Ideally I would like to be living at/near the beach, I would love to not have to work 60 hrs a week just to live, and I would love to be somewhere that is good to there employees... if anyone has experience/ works in any of these places, I would love to hear your experience, how the pay is, etc... as for as SB goes, I have seen that lompoc might be one of the more affordable places to live... my only question there is, would I have to commute into the city of SB or more like buellton? As far as hall goes, how long does it take to get to the next "step" in their step paygrade.. also, how long does it take to be able to get onto 24 hr shifts (I don't mind living in bako for a few years, working my way up to being paid more and working 24's, then getting a spot on the coast and commuting in 1-2 days/week for 24/48s.. and for SLO, how much do they pay, whats the quality of life like, etc... thank you so much for taking the time to look at this long, needy rambling haha

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I was at Santa Barbara briefly but left due to my commute (3 hours one way) and my relocation plans fell through last minute due to a financial issue. AMR has 3 deployment areas. Santa Barbara. Lompoc and Santa Maria.
then 24 hour stations in carpenteria,Goleta, Lompoc, solvang and up by Santa Maria.
There main headquarters in is solvang

I recommend It if you move up there or live in area. 911 and IFT but 80% of calls are 911. Fire BLS other than few engines here and there. Everyone I met was great.Call volume was about 3-4 calls a shift but probably depends on where your at.
Santa Barbara is harder to go into so most likely be in north county from what it sounded like when I was there ( last year).
starting pay for new medic is $21.40. Overtime after 40 hours but there were plenty of shifts open on schedule. There also offering a sign on bonus to sign on for 2 years ( maybe 3 ?).

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
I was at Santa Barbara briefly but left due to my commute (3 hours one way) and my relocation plans fell through last minute due to a financial issue. AMR has 3 deployment areas. Santa Barbara. Lompoc and Santa Maria.
then 24 hour stations in carpenteria,Goleta, Lompoc, solvang and up by Santa Maria.
There main headquarters in is solvang

I recommend It if you move up there or live in area. 911 and IFT but 80% of calls are 911. Fire BLS other than few engines here and there. Everyone I met was great.Call volume was about 3-4 calls a shift but probably depends on where your at.
Santa Barbara is harder to go into so most likely be in north county from what it sounded like when I was there ( last year).
starting pay for new medic is $21.40. Overtime after 40 hours but there were plenty of shifts open on schedule. There also offering a sign on bonus to sign on for 2 years ( maybe 3 ?).
Right on, thank you!! So what you're saying, is that if I wanted to work mostly in north county it wouldn't be hard to get into at all?

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Right on, thank you!! So what you're saying, is that if I wanted to work mostly in north county it wouldn't be hard to get into at all?

north county (which is Lompoc, buellton and up to Santa Maria) no. Probably won’t be a 24 though.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
@ventmonkeycould you clear up some of the hall questions that I have? I've been reading some threads about hall and you seem to know there system and how they work pretty well

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Can I post unflattering things about the company or is that against policy? Hahaha
That went over my head.

Anyhow, @nwarren what exactly do you want to know? If it’s things such as pay, how long it takes to score an outlying and the like, those questions can be somewhat fluid.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
That went over my head.

Anyhow, @nwarren what exactly do you want to know? If it’s things such as pay, how long it takes to score an outlying and the like, those questions can be somewhat fluid.
My more specific questions are how long does it generally take to go up a "step" in the pay step scale?(I saw the pay step matrix already from another post about them). Also, generally speaking, how long does it take to get onto the 24/48 hour stations? I would be fine with living in bako for a few years, but at some point I would like to have 24/48 hr shifts and move out of the area and commute in due to the air quality out there (use to live in fresno for a year or so and I could see the difference even then with the air quality). Also, how long does it take or is it really doable to be able to work your way into CCT or their helicopter as a medic? I really like that hall takes care of their employees from what I have seen/heard and that they pride themselves on being a more "career ems" destination. Thanks so much!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My more specific questions are how long does it generally take to go up a "step" in the pay step scale?
I would suggest calling and asking HR directly. They’d be better suited to give you an accurate answer.
Also, generally speaking, how long does it take to get onto the 24/48 hour stations?
The only true 24-hour station left is the airport (flight team). The remaining outlying stations are on 48’s (KCoFD’s schedule).

As far as how long it takes, it all depends on staffing levels and your ability to swoon the schedulers with permitting you to go out to one. Owning one via shift bid is a different story.
Also, how long does it take or is it really doable to be able to work your way into CCT or their helicopter as a medic?
It’s doable. It just depends on the divisions needs.

As far as the helicopter, they’re poached from the ground CCT paramedics nowadays. You also need 3 years (or 4,000 contact) before you’re eligible as a paramedic; that’s a CAMTS requirement.

It’s not a perfect, dream, or “unicorn” job. It pays the bills, they’ve treated me fair for well over 10 years, and I have no real problems with where I am; anything else, let me know.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
I would suggest calling and asking HR directly. They’d be better suited to give you an accurate answer.

The only true 24-hour station left is the airport (flight team). The remaining outlying stations are on 48’s (KCoFD’s schedule).

As far as how long it takes, it all depends on staffing levels and your ability to swoon the schedulers with permitting you to go out to one. Owning one via shift bid is a different story.

It’s doable. It just depends on the divisions needs.

As far as the helicopter, they’re poached from the ground CCT paramedics nowadays. You also need 3 years (or 4,000 contact) before you’re eligible as a paramedic; that’s a CAMTS requirement.

It’s not a perfect, dream, or “unicorn” job. It pays the bills, they’ve treated me fair for well over 10 years, and I have no real problems with where I am; anything else, let me know.
Right on. How much time of seniority does it generally take to be able to have a good chance of getting a 48 hr shift on bid? 1 year, 2 years, 4 years. Etc?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Right on. How much time of seniority does it generally take to be able to have a good chance of getting a 48 hr shift on bid? 1 year, 2 years, 4 years. Etc?
I’d imagine not long? Turn around is high. It is still a private company after all.

A lot of out of county people will jump from outlying station to outlying station until they’re eligible for bids.

In the day, they’d make people wait 90 days before even being moved to a 48. And you had to be oriented to work in East Kern. The other day an EK supe texted regarding open shifts in the desert.

The ground seems to be hurting everywhere right now. Full disclosure: I don’t work many ground shifts anymore.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
I’d imagine not long? Turn around is high. It is still a private company after all.

A lot of out of county people will jump from outlying station to outlying station until they’re eligible for bids.

In the day, they’d make people wait 90 days before even being moved to a 48. And you had to be oriented to work in East Kern. The other day an EK supe texted regarding open shifts in the desert.

The ground seems to be hurting everywhere right now. Full disclosure: I don’t work many ground shifts anymore.
Oh wow very cool! Thank you so much for the info and your time sir!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Oh wow very cool! Thank you so much for the info and your time sir!
Not a problem. I don’t know that we have any forum members that work for SLA. But, if it helps I did train 4 paramedics at our company years ago that came and went from SLA.

One I believe is still there, two came back for PD jobs, otherwise they had nothing but good things to say about the place.

Our former owner was good friends with their company’s owner. And as a testament to the Central Coast, he is buried out there. I think he had property out there as well.

What I do remember was that SLA didn’t hire frequently, typically only small groups at a time. They had a similar setup to Santa Barbara Co.—fire seemed to be ALS mostly in the city areas, and BLS (CalFire) in the outskirts.

Every blue moon SLA will roll in with an LDT. They always seem pretty chill. Probably that Central Coast living.

OP
OP
N

nwarren

Forum Crew Member
Not a problem. I don’t know that we have any forum members that work for SLA. But, if it helps I did train 4 paramedics at our company years ago that came and went from SLA.

One I believe is still there, two came back for PD jobs, otherwise they had nothing but good things to say about the place.

Our former owner was good friends with their company’s owner. And as a testament to the Central Coast, he is buried out there. I think he had property out there as well.

What I do remember was that SLA didn’t hire frequently, typically only small groups at a time. They had a similar setup to Santa Barbara Co.—fire seemed to be ALS mostly in the city areas, and BLS (CalFire) in the outskirts.

Every blue moon SLA will roll in with an LDT. They always seem pretty chill. Probably that Central Coast living.
Right on. SLA could be pretty cool, I just don't know if I could afford it. They don't pay all that well, and with the cost of living out there I feel like id barely be scraping by

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Right on. SLA could be pretty cool, I just don't know if I could afford it. They don't pay all that well, and with the cost of living out there I feel like id barely be scraping by
They pay (paid?) DOE. A guy like me would do alright, but yeah perhaps a few years in it’d be feasible for you.

One of the medic trainees mentioned living inland, again similar to Santa Barbara County, made it completely livable.