Ampoule opener

Have you tried using a disposable ampoule sleeve and a Snapit ampoule opener?Which one will u prefer

• Disposable Ampoule sleeves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snapit

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mkct

Forum Ride Along
Dear all.

I am a Paramedic from Singapore. I am doing a studies to find out more about how you open a glass ampoule (ampule) in your organisation.

Pls help me reply the thread in the order of the 5 questions below:

1. Where are you from (country)?

2. Have you ever sustained any injuries from opening an ampoule? If yes, how bad was the injuries?

3. How do you open a glass ampoule? Any equipment used? If yes, care to share which equipment you or your organisation is using?

4. [Continue from question 3] Share your feedback and your experience on the ampoule opener you are using.

5. Have you tried using a disposable ampoule sleeve and a Snapit ampoule opener? Which one will u prefer?

Attachments

• 0F9CF914-55C0-4CB1-9991-CCF9FDBC8B32.jpeg
    0F9CF914-55C0-4CB1-9991-CCF9FDBC8B32.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 78

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1. United States of America
2. No
3. Take a 4x4 piece of gauze to hold the vial and protect yourself. Snap the ampule. Draw up with filter straw.
4. It’s cheap. It’s easy to find. It’s effective.
5. Never used.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
USA

Vaguely remember getting injured once or twice opening thousands of amps...bloody, only needing a band-aide

a quick 360 swirl to transfer the fluid in the cap to the main vial, gentle bare handed pressure to the cap, if it doesn't snap turn about five degrees and try again...repeat until neck snaps easily...took a lot of openings to get a slick technique that did not risk injury...last injury over 25 years ago

I'm just using bare hands...not much to say...gimmicks don't last long...pharmaceutical manufacturers in the US are pretty reliable in the uniformity and quality of scoring the neck of the ampule for easier snapping...off shore factories may be variable in their quality control.

no...less is more

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I did cut myself once opening an ampule. But I still bare hand them oops.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
When we still had ampules of Epi i took the little white plastic cap thing that comes in the tip of my flushes, drilled a hole and put in a split ring and glued that into a 5ml syringe with the plunger removed. Put the end of the ampule into the syringe and snap. Clip this ghetto snap-it onto my ID retractor

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
1. United States of America
2. Yes, one small laceration that required a small band-aid. Happened when I didn't do #3 below. I still usually bare-hand it.
3. Take 2 4x4 pieces of gauze, one to hold the vial and the other to hold the ampule top to protect yourself. Snap and draw w/ filter needle or filter blunt. If you just use one 4x4 gauze, use it on the top of the ampule when you snap it.
4. Cheap and effective, it works.
5. Never used.

Btmedic

Forum Ride Along
1. Canada
2. Over the years I've had a few crush or break poorly but never had an injury
3. Currently all the amps have a plastic sleeve on the top. We've had these for 6 - 7 years. They work well.
4. I noticed that it can be difficult to find the breaking Dot on the amp because these sleeves are translucent rather than transparent. This is especially difficult with all your PPE on.
5. These sleeve are disposable, I'm not sure what a Snapit is.

OP
OP
M

Mkct

Forum Ride Along
When we still had ampules of Epi i took the little white plastic cap thing that comes in the tip of my flushes, drilled a hole and put in a split ring and glued that into a 5ml syringe with the plunger removed. Put the end of the ampule into the syringe and snap. Clip this ghetto snap-it onto my ID retractor
Nice! Upcycling of expired syringes? Care to share any pictures if you have?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
1st one I opened was just after I finished Medic School at an ED I worked in, using a 4x4 gauze pad. Sliced my thumb good enough that it took 3 sutures. My thumb sucked up the full 100mcg of Fentanyl that was in the ampule.
I don't like getting sutures, but I watched and the doc did them without deadening my thumb, I was so high it was funny; then I got paid to take a 2 hour nap till it wore off.

Dumbest thing drug companies have ever developed to store medications