Ambulance locations

Esseth

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everybody,

I am an ambulancedriver/paramedic from the Netherlands and I will be visiting the Bay Area next October. My brother lives in San Carlos and it's time to pay him a visit again.
I have visited the Bay Area several times and I also lived in Palo Alto for 6 months to do an internship, but I've never been there since I work as an ambulancedriver/paramedic. Now I would like to visit at least one ambulancelocation, if possible of course.
So, who know what would be a good location to visit near San Carlos or the Bay Area?

Thx allready.

Regards,

Erik Bols
The Netherlands

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In addition to this board,

Look up the DOH for the area and contact someone there.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

OP
OP
E

Esseth

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the information, but I don't want to make it to formal. I just want to drop by a station, say hi and perhaps take a look in an ambulance to see the differences and share some experiences.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you for the information, but I don't want to make it to formal. I just want to drop by a station, say hi and perhaps take a look in an ambulance to see the differences and share some experiences.

In New York State, the DOH lists all ambulance locations.

CA may do that.

Although I understand you and you intentions, be aware these days people in public safety are very very wary of strangers and terrorism.

In fact, my service, a volunteer unit, has a standing order to refer any requests for tours to the Vice President of Operations.

I would strongly urge you on your agencies letterhead to write a letter letting them know you will be in the area and requesting to meet the crew. Give them your email on the sanil mail letter.

Do as you see fit, bro, however I think your results will be much better if you take the formal plan ahead route.

Police/Fire/Ems are not big fans of the "pop-in"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzOv2jrC1I8

Plan ahead, bring some patches, someone may get wind of your visit an organize a little tour.

Pop-ins are for bars, clubs, people you know......IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The FD, EMS, and PD here all promote the public coming in and seeing how the operation works, including ride alongs as an observer only. It all depends on the area you are wanting to visit. In a metro area such as the Bay I could see the services being more wary of people coming in and visiting.

Like others have said, an official letter with a company letterhead will probably be beneficial in getting you a tour, and more than likely a higher than average explanation of how they operate and their medical protocols. More in depth answers than: "This is the dispatcher, the answer 911 calls and dispatch the ambulance to the emergency..." like the grade school and public tours usually get.

No disrespect to dispatchers, just the first example that come to mind...

OP
OP
E

Esseth

Forum Ride Along
Thx for the answers and explanation. I just didn´t realise that it might be inappropriate to simply ´pop-in´. It was an idea that I had, which I thought might be fun to do. But writing a letter won´t withhold me from it. I´ll try to find out who to get in contact with and see what happens.
It will be at least a great experience and the cherry on the cake for my holiday. I can allready see the jealous faces of my colleagues. :p

We don´t really wear patches in The Netherlands, but I´ll see what I can bring as a present. Perhaps some clothing and some miniature ambulances would be nice. Patches are only worn here by the police and the firedepartment.

If any of you is ever planning a trip The Netherlands and might want to take a glimps at how we work: feel free to contact me.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Thx for the answers and explanation. I just didn´t realise that it might be inappropriate to simply ´pop-in´. It was an idea that I had, which I thought might be fun to do. But writing a letter won´t withhold me from it. I´ll try to find out who to get in contact with and see what happens.
It will be at least a great experience and the cherry on the cake for my holiday. I can allready see the jealous faces of my colleagues. :p

We don´t really wear patches in The Netherlands, but I´ll see what I can bring as a present. Perhaps some clothing and some miniature ambulances would be nice. Patches are only worn here by the police and the firedepartment.

If any of you is ever planning a trip The Netherlands and might want to take a glimps at how we work: feel free to contact me.

Thats just one agency, apparently run by crazy people. I would do the drop in thing...we've visited many stations on vacation that way. If I don't see the station when im out and about, I usually see an ambulance and just google the service to get their location.

OP
OP
E

Esseth

Forum Ride Along
Okay, this is getting confusing. Does anybody perhaps work in the bayarea or may know somebody who works there who might tell me precisely what would be the best way?