Ambulance equipment advice

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I work for a certain BLS company in the wayne county part of michigan, Every other company is using stryker stretchers or something similar, but not my company. Nope, we use the old cadillac stretchers that appear to resemble a sled more so than a stretcher. I'm not even sure if this thing sits more than 1 foot off the ground. we load it with an emt on the left and right, squat, pick up, twist, and oddly gyrate until the stretcher is in the back of our "rig". It is an amazing feat of poor body mechanics.

My question is this: Is it legal?

I'm sure there has to be something that regulates the standard of equipment we use, but i just can't seem to find anything specific. i look for a law referencing it and it refers me to an article that refers me to another section that redirects me elsewhere.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
im off to bed here in a minute, so I didnt have a whole lot of time to research this, good place to start is likely your states EMS office.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The only service I know of in Wayne County that did that was American Ambulance based in Detroit, and I thought I just read a thread that they upgraded stretchers to the two man type.

If you don't like what you have, find another service.

dewd09

Forum Crew Member
The only universal requirement is a stretcher that is capable of three positions, and can hold up to 350lbs. The older Ferno's, "lower and lift", are perfectly legal, and in fact are still being produced. If you're talking about a single level stretcher, that is incapable of being adjusted in height, then yes that would be illegal. Possibly a liability also, b/c you'd pretty much have to carry it into and out of homes. If that's what you have, I'd report them, and quit before you kill your spine.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Is this the one you are talking about?

3kf3o53pb5O85P55R699jfce16cbd91e9134c.jpg

I was actually quite fond of this stretcher as they were very light and handled stairs nicely. The ambulance companies also stressed fitness and you had to be cautious or more aware with your lifting. Thus, schools and employers actually taught safe lifting. I think we had less workmen's comp claims then we do now since people have forgotten body mechanics.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I work for a certain BLS company in the wayne county part of michigan, Every other company is using stryker stretchers or something similar, but not my company. Nope, we use the old cadillac stretchers that appear to resemble a sled more so than a stretcher. I'm not even sure if this thing sits more than 1 foot off the ground. we load it with an emt on the left and right, squat, pick up, twist, and oddly gyrate until the stretcher is in the back of our "rig". It is an amazing feat of poor body mechanics.

My question is this: Is it legal?

Are ambulances licensed in your state? Call the state OEMS and ask them.

Or buy a white uniform and pretend you're a recurring member of the supporting cast of Emergency! ;)

The powered stretchers are great until the day the battery runs out on you. Then they're a b***h to get the legs back up on, since you have to fight the hydraulics.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think FW stopped making the Squadmates but I'm not sure.

I miss the old manual litters (the ones you could trigger the raise/lower action from the side or the foot) and with long foot handles so you could leave the darned thing down while rolling.

OP
OP
Z

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Is this the one you are talking about?

3kf3o53pb5O85P55R699jfce16cbd91e9134c.jpg

I was actually quite fond of this stretcher as they were very light and handled stairs nicely. The ambulance companies also stressed fitness and you had to be cautious or more aware with your lifting. Thus, schools and employers actually taught safe lifting. I think we had less workmen's comp claims then we do now since people have forgotten body mechanics.

yea... those are the ones... thats the stretcher thats destroyed my back