Ambulance chasis and brands

WCAD1620

Forum Ride Along
we all know the new Ford problems, ie: no D engine on the new E series. my opinion crappy mistake on Fords part for all of us. All they have done is allowed Chevrolet to corner the market and set pricing on the D engine van chasis.
I have done alot of research on chasis over the years, and have a simple question.
What does everyone use?
What is your regular scheduled maint. set up?
What problems does everyone have consistently?

Personally we are considering a few changes...
The new Chevy truck series with the motor/tranny combo seems like a very strong set up. Both motor and tranny are well respected
We have also looked at the new Dodge chasis, since they finally have a heavy duty front end.

We currently use only Lifeline as a manufacturer. Nothing but praise for them for us. Boxes are remountable up to 1mil miles. Warrantied as such. We have always used Ford E450 and will miss it even though it has been problematic for the last 5 years or so. We have constant sensor issues with the chasis: cam position sensor, shift sensor etc.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Chevrolet and the Dodge and have come to the decision that if Ford isnt intelligent enough to put the D in a van than they should have tried a real motor in the F series.

Sound of please!

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Our co. is using the Chevy 4500 Kodiak truck chassis. It has the Duramax and Alison combo. These trucks weigh about 17k lbs. we use them up to 300k mi on chassis and remount the box twice. The crews loves these trucks. Slowly they are integrating the international terra star chassis. The crews are sad when's designed to the new trucks. The agility, maneuverabity, and speed fall short compared with the Chevys.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Get an international then, same engine excluding the 6.7

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
None of the current big truck choices appeal to me.

We run Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison on our type 1s and they're ok. Interiors are crap and don't hold up. After 100k miles the emissions parts start to have issues and will put it into low power/limp mode. Just not a well made vehicle.

The Dodge cab/chassis I've heard good reviews about but no personal experience. Still has emissions and takes DEF though.

I know Fords cutaway vans are only available as gassers now. I'd strongly consider a V10 gas motor E450. Cheaper to fix. Comparable reliability to the diesels.

OP
OP
W

WCAD1620

Forum Ride Along
here is the major problem, and alot of warmer climate services will have the same problem...we had a neighboring district try the gas, 40k milies and summer temps blew the radiator.

we have alot of scenes where we have to sit at idle for hours on end (fire stnadby, law standby) and dont want the same issues.

i know there is a district in Georgia, Gwennit i believe using only Dodge chasis and they think they are the best thing since autopulses and sliced bread!

i appreciate everyones input so far, thanks!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are running the ford gas vans now set up by Leader. Really the only issue I have and have heard of from the gas vans is that the AC doesn't work as well when sitting at an idle.

During the summer we easily reach temps of 120 degrees and we are SSM so we are in the units at all times. We have a high idle system (when the E-brake is applied it bumps up the rest idle about 1,000 RPM) to help keep us cool.

The units have plenty of power and get going really quick. We are extremely rough on the units. 120+ temps, constant wind and sand blowing, units have been used for 24 hours a day for many days in a row (engine never turned off).

We have an A, B, and C maintenance. Each one is set at a certain number of miles. For example A is every 5,000 miles, B is every 25,000, etc (I don't remember the actual numbers of what each service gets).

We are slowly switching all of our ambulances to the Ford gas vans. We will not be getting the dodge sprinters due to stability issues and our constant windy conditions.

Next time I'm at work ill talk to one of our mechanics and see how the gas vans have been doing compared to the diesels.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our 4500 Chevy van chassis are sweet looking but they always seem to be broken...it's a love/hate relationship.

Also I hate the way the center console is setup, they're bouncy as hell and you can't hop curbs in them due to the rake so take it for what it's worth.

Ill take my E-450 6.0PS that's assigned to me over a new Chevy any day.

The Chevy's are fast as hell though

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
We are using the same units as desert^ the new gas units don't cool as well on idle but when we get going they cool very well. They get up and go pretty quick too. Another nice perk is how quiet they are

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are using the same units as desert^ the new gas units don't cool as well on idle but when we get going they cool very well. They get up and go pretty quick too. Another nice perk is how quiet they are

Also when you are at post in gas units the whole thing doesn't shake from the motor unlike the diesels.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Part of the reason the gasser's AC sucks at idle is heat soak. A couple well placed vents on the hood or fenders along with a small pusher fan on the AC condenser would work wonders at extended idle.

Our diesel Chevy trucks have the same problem and even on high idle the ACs heat soak and lose their cool.

FWIW even in winds I'd take a Sprinter over Ford. Track width to wheel base is pretty similar to the Fords. Plus the Sprinter has a better stability control system.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Part of the reason the gasser's AC sucks at idle is heat soak. A couple well placed vents on the hood or fenders along with a small pusher fan on the AC condenser would work wonders at extended idle.

Our diesel Chevy trucks have the same problem and even on high idle the ACs heat soak and lose their cool.

FWIW even in winds I'd take a Sprinter over Ford. Track width to wheel base is pretty similar to the Fords. Plus the Sprinter has a better stability control system.

I've heard the exact opposite from employees from other areas who use the sprinters. The normal things they say are "the only good thing is that you can stand up in the back". "The negatives is that it feels a lot more top heavy than the fords".

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard the exact opposite from employees from other areas who use the sprinters. The normal things they say are "the only good thing is that you can stand up in the back". "The negatives is that it feels a lot more top heavy than the fords".

All of our new vans the last 5 years have been Sprinters we still have a few inherited Fords also.

Frankly the Fords suck. Handle horribly, feel slower, no room in the back. I can go on.

Sprinters rock

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
All of our new vans the last 5 years have been Sprinters we still have a few inherited Fords also.

Frankly the Fords suck. Handle horribly, feel slower, no room in the back. I can go on.

Sprinters rock

We only have the Ford E-series vanbulances by Leader so that's all I'm used to. The only complaint I have about them is that the cab area is a little on the small side.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
All our rigs seem to be Leader built Ford E series. Mostly diesel, couple gas powered versions floating around. Not to bad, though like somebody else said the cab can get a bit cramped when your posting between calls on an 11 hour shift. Though I've never driven/ridden in anything else, so I can't compare them to anything.

I'm a fan of Dodges, and think the (relatively) new Ran ambulances like the LAFD has look super nice, anyone been in any of those?

Otherwise the only Dodges I see are the Sprinter vans which although like I said I like Dodge, the Sprinters are IMO so tall and narrow they just look so weird, how are they inside for the crew? I did actually see a Sprinter mod not too long ago ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369444619.613328.jpg

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
My old service had one Sprinter module and one Dodge 3500 Type I. Everything else was Ford F-350 Type I. Frazer modules on everything except the Sprinter, which was AEV I believe.

OP
OP
W

WCAD1620

Forum Ride Along
id happily try the sprinter...we are seriously considering the dodge due to what i am finding is a lack of break downs. personally i like the truck chasis better due to many reasons, suspension being one of them. we have been struggling with lack of 4x4 for a long time. i havent gotten one stuck in snow etc, of course i will now soon due to saying that. i have kind of given up on ford but the chevy and dodge 4x4 chasis both look appealing due to motor and transmission options. i will continue to do research...took forever to decide on a new stretcher, lol so a long time for a truck wont matter either.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
id happily try the sprinter...we are seriously considering the dodge due to what i am finding is a lack of break downs. personally i like the truck chasis better due to many reasons, suspension being one of them. we have been struggling with lack of 4x4 for a long time. i havent gotten one stuck in snow etc, of course i will now soon due to saying that. i have kind of given up on ford but the chevy and dodge 4x4 chasis both look appealing due to motor and transmission options. i will continue to do research...took forever to decide on a new stretcher, lol so a long time for a truck wont matter either.

Dodge and Ford 4wds are solid front axles and will probably have better longevity than the IFS Chevy front axle. Even more so with the constant loaded weight of an ambulance module. The Chevy will ride better; the SFA stronger long term.

Just something to consider.

OP
OP
W

WCAD1620

Forum Ride Along
i was kinda of thinking the same thing...sadly im just very anti ford lately...on a personal note i want the 4wd

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Dodge and Ford 4wds are solid front axles and will probably have better longevity than the IFS Chevy front axle. Even more so with the constant loaded weight of an ambulance module. The Chevy will ride better; the SFA stronger long term.

Just something to consider.

Spoken like a true off roader. :D