Am I bad at lifting or just need practice?

Voyager5000

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys I just started my new ift ems job in la county. i'm a 19 yr old female,5'4 and about 140 pounds. Today we practiced with the stryker gurney with a 150 pound dummy on it. I struggled with it at first and had trouble knowing when to release the lever and having hand pain because of it. At one point I just couldn't hold on to the stretcher and let it go to the floor when unloading because I let the lever go before the wheels touched the ground ); however after my fto explained that I needed to let it go after the wheels touched I was able to do it fine. My question is why did I struggle at times, and at others did it okay? Is it that I'm not strong enough or that it just comes with practice? :unsure: I'm not sure if I'm weak but today was a struggle and I'm planning on starting to weight lift. And I know I have to practice my stance and lifting with my legs more. My FTO cleared me for field training tomorrow but I'm scared of not being able to pull my own weight with the other big guys. Will struggling but still being able to lift the 150 pound dummy be enough and what else can I do to practice grip strength? Thanks a lot everyone!!!

restlessprairie

Forum Probie
I'm about your size...5'4 125 and I lift to make sure I can do what I need to do and not get hurt. The thing that has increased my grip strength the most...imo....has been pull ups. I use Russian kettlebell workouts instead of the Olympic style that I started with and I feel that it has made me tougher/stronger over all because of the dynamic movement.

Practice is a huge deal....it will just become second nature after a while. Faster than you'd think too if you're on a busy service.

Having said all of that. I'm not too proud to ask for help if it's available. I can train and train and train and I'm still not going to be able to lift the 400 pound woman off the floor with just one guy at the other end. :) Patient safety and experience is my final goal and I won't shove someone stronger out of the way to "prove" that I can get a cot in the back.

I feel that it's pretty obvious when you're shirking your duty...just as it's pretty obvious when you think you have something to prove. The folks you work with will be able to tell the difference between that and an acknowledgement that there are stronger people in the world.

(but I don't work with crappy people....so I'm probably just spoiled. If it IS a huge deal in your dept then I'm afraid I don't have any advice. Hopefully someone else will.)

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
It sounds like you just need practice.
If it turns out that strength is an issue, take up deadlifting (start light and have someone experienced coach you).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Pull my own weight"? "Deadlifts"?

I'm sitting on my pun-o-meter. Sittin' on it.

There are many techniques to lifting things and some are specific to ambulance litters. Some are universal.

Let me drop some hints about what NOT to do:

1. No Lifting the last bit by arching your back to raise your upper arms. Instead, measure the lift if only by eye before starting, talk to your co-worker, and get those elbows below the litter before your legs are fully extended.

2. Elbows winging out= no - no.

3. Do not move the burden away from your body once it is lifted.

4. When in doubt, take the feet. They're lighter.

5. And do not partner up with people who try to force you to try to lift beyond your capacity.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
"Pull my own weight"? "Deadlifts"?

I'm sitting on my pun-o-meter. Sittin' on it.

There are many techniques to lifting things and some are specific to ambulance litters. Some are universal.

Let me drop some hints about what NOT to do:

1. No Lifting the last bit by arching your back to raise your upper arms. Instead, measure the lift if only by eye before starting, talk to your co-worker, and get those elbows below the litter before your legs are fully extended.

2. Elbows winging out= no - no.

3. Do not move the burden away from your body once it is lifted.

4. When in doubt, take the feet. They're lighter.

5. And do not partner up with people who try to force you to try to lift beyond your capacity.

This. Also helps to use your legs (über obvious one), keep your arms tucked in close to your body and keep the main weight close to your body (less stress on your back).

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I think other people have covered most of the things, but one thing I think bears mentioning is the actual mechanics of working the lever.

I have huge hands, and I'm betting based on the fact that you're 5'4", you don't, so the method I use won't work for you. What seems to work the best for the people with small hands that I train, though, is to fully grasp with the right hand, then let the grip rest across the knuckles of the left hand, with the fingers extended parallel to the ground just below the lever. From that position, you should be able to just curl your fingers to work the lever (And if something goes wrong, it should be very quick to fully grasp the grip.)

Or, it's possible you'll find something else that works better for you, ultimately, you should practice. Get someone to help you pull the stretcher from the back of the truck, then with it still hooked on the back, lift it off the ground and just practice engaging and disengaging the lever until it feels somewhat natural. Most people I work with find something that works for them inside of about 10 minutes.

As to the matter of when to let go, there's nothing for that but practice, once you've been doing it for a few months, you'll know exactly when to let go to hit each of the heights.

Steffah

Forum Probie
You likely just need some more practice. It sounds like a silly thing to practice, but it will help. And you won't have to worry about dropping a patient, looking dumb in front of random people, etc. :p

I think you would highly benefit from doing some weightlifting, in the way of strength, and also in the way of lifting technique. Deadlifts and squats (particularly front squats) are very beneficial. YouTube can definitely be your friend in learning new lifts, also try sites like catalystathletics.com for technique vids. Or if you work out at a gym, ask somebody who's doing them. I'm a big fan of Olympic lifts as well, though I'd recommend having someone teach you them rather than self-teaching, to ensure proper form and prevent injuries. Start light (and don't be discouraged), and work up. It's said that it requires 300-500 reps of a lift in order to get it down. Perfect your technique first, and then start adding significant weight.

Weightlifting (as in free weights, not machines) can help tremendously with your grip strength as well. I'd highly recommend it to anybody, male or female, working in EMS :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

I think other people have covered most of the things, but one thing I think bears mentioning is the actual mechanics of working the lever.

I have huge hands, and I'm betting based on the fact that you're 5'4", you don't, so the method I use won't work for you. What seems to work the best for the people with small hands that I train, though, is to fully grasp with the right hand, then let the grip rest across the knuckles of the left hand, with the fingers extended parallel to the ground just below the lever. From that position, you should be able to just curl your fingers to work the lever (And if something goes wrong, it should be very quick to fully grasp the grip.)

Or, it's possible you'll find something else that works better for you, ultimately, you should practice. Get someone to help you pull the stretcher from the back of the truck, then with it still hooked on the back, lift it off the ground and just practice engaging and disengaging the lever until it feels somewhat natural. Most people I work with find something that works for them inside of about 10 minutes.

As to the matter of when to let go, there's nothing for that but practice, once you've been doing it for a few months, you'll know exactly when to let go to hit each of the heights.

Oldest ambulance litter I've worked was a 1993 FW, but it had in common with the 1970's units I used before two things:

1. Sometimes when raised, the latch handles work better once a little weight is lifted off. (Raise a little, click, lower).

2. When raising, never trust the latch without a "shake" ;without letting go, raise the litter then operate the latch while anticipating it to drop free. Sometimes it will want to and you have to catch it. In other words, with lowered litter: Grasp, operate latch to release wheels, raise until wheels are little off the ground (1 inch?), release latch but continue to hold firmly then lower to the wheels. If it latches funny (not level, continue hold and reattempt. And talk to your partner.

2 more:
1. Inspect your litter, wipe the gunk off the sliding parts and only use approved lubricants, not WD40.
2. If the litter can be maneuvered safely without raising it, do so. Goes just as fast, you can be getting to the ambulance with less physical stress. Any care between pickup point and ambulance can be done kneeling, and some (like CPR) better. It is a little bumpier because the frame isn't absorbing the bumps so much. This requires a long handle on the foot end.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Oldest ambulance litter I've worked was a 1993 FW, but it had in common with the 1970's units I used before two things:

2. If the litter can be maneuvered safely without raising it, do so. Goes just as fast, you can be getting to the ambulance with less physical stress. Any care between pickup point and ambulance can be done kneeling, and some (like CPR) better. It is a little bumpier because the frame isn't absorbing the bumps so much. This requires a long handle on the foot end.

Well, maybe not ALL, such as ventilating...

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member

While granting that I'm an anomaly, I'd like to point out that this is not a hard and fast rule, but rather something to be determined by a number of factors.

I'm 6'8", my current primary partner is 6'3", it's both less safe and significantly less convenient for us to move the stretcher at a lower height. While it's true that the center of gravity is higher and thus more likely to tip, my ability to bring effective leverage is much higher, if it comes right down to it, just from gripping the head of the stretcher, I can and have recovered a 15 degree tilt with a 200lb pt on it...If I'm bending over to hold the stretcher, which I basically have to do at anything but full height, I can probably still do it, but I'm going to throw my back out in the process...plus just the bending over is uncomfortable.

Add in to that, standing next to a pt on a stretcher at full height is just about the perfect work height for me. The only thing that is better for me at a lower height is compressions, and I can still deliver effective compressions at full height, it's just more fatiguing, but basically I only have to do that until we can get someone small to throw up there. (Note to new EMTs: Don't do that. Moving a stretcher with someone riding it for compressions is quite dangerous, and requires that the two [or preferably 4] people moving the stretcher all move in unison, not to mention that the person riding has to anticipate all of the moves and adjust their center of gravity appropriately, while still doing compressions.)

Rin

Forum Captain
Voyager, I'm the same size as you, and I had the exact same problem when I first started out. I think that I had difficulty coordinating with the cot because so much of my concentration was on getting the lever to go with just my fingertips. My left palm turned black and blue every time I had to raise a loaded cot.

As my hand strength improved and I got more practice with the cot, I stopped having difficulty with the lever, my hand stopped bruising, and I became more coordinated. Hang in there!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Voyager...

I think the biggest thing is practice. For many of us, working a stretcher is something we can do in our sleep, because I've done the muscle movements so many times. It becomes second nature once you've done it enough - it just takes time.

Be careful, go slow, and think about what you're doing before you do it. Practice with a dummy is a great start, too.

mycrofft

Voyager...

I think the biggest thing is practice. For many of us, working a stretcher is something we can do in our sleep, because I've done the muscle movements so many times. It becomes second nature once you've done it enough - it just takes time.

Be careful, go slow, and think about what you're doing before you do it. Practice with a dummy is a great start, too.

Adendum to that: sandbags will do instead of a manikin.
And talk to your co-worker/partner as you move the pt.

I think lifting with palms facing up is also a good thing, versus trying to use your fingers to lift that weight with the palms down.

mpc83

Forum Probie
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cheat I see a LOT of women use from time to time .... Use your belt buckle! Granted u want to make sure u have a good pair of pants as a solid Ems/ff style belt but sometimes u can use it as a catch to help u get ur grip or reposition your hands ... Granted I'm 5"10 and a female I've seen a lot smaller women use it (safely) and it benefit them with handling the load ... That being said practice it first before doing it with a real patient.

mycrofft

We have another similar thread about that going on.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I just thank God for the power lift cots. They're expensive, but the money they save a company in back injury claims is absolutely worth it.

Only down side is it adds a significant amount of weight to the gurney, so hauling it up or down stairs bites.

mycrofft

I just thank God for the power lift cots. They're expensive, but the money they save a company in back injury claims is absolutely worth it.

Only down side is it adds a significant amount of weight to the gurney, so hauling it up or down stairs bites.

Use a stretcher to bring the pt to the ambulance litter.