AHA CPR instructor??

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Is an AHA CPR instructor required to also carry a CPR card or does the instructor card count as CPR certification?

Last edited by a moderator:

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Instructor card counts as HCP card

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
The old guidlines back in 2000 or 2004 said that you needed to have a HCP Card to maintain your BLS instructor but they did away with that during the recent updates. so yes your BLS Instructor card is your cpr card now.

emtkopan

Forum Ride Along
It depends on where you work. Most places will accept an instructor card over a provider card but a few will require both. I have worked at both of those places.

Anjel

Forum Angel
So just teach your self lol

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Alot of places take the BLS instructor card in place of your HCP card; but if I remember correctly National Registry does NOT; and alot of States don't for your registry. So check that.

Plus getting your HCP counts towards an additional 6-8hrs of CE, where updating your BLS card does not.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I recently looked into this matter. I spoke with someone from the AHA customer service, 1-800-AHA-USA-1. Well, according to what I was told by AHA CS, you must keep both cards current. The reason I inquired about this was that my BLS HCP card expires in July, and I am taking a BLS for HCP, and heartsaver instructor course end of June.

Last edited by a moderator:

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
where are you guys getting your AHA CPR Instructor certs? I have had a frustrating time finding a class in Norcal, even with a teaching organization to sponsor me.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
where are you guys getting your AHA CPR Instructor certs? I have had a frustrating time finding a class in Norcal, even with a teaching organization to sponsor me.

Where in NorCal? When you say "teaching organization" do you mean training center?

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Where in NorCal? When you say "teaching organization" do you mean training center?

Effectively, anywhere between the south bay and Redding... lol, I'm willing to travel for it :D

I instruct at a non-profit EMT/Paramedic program, however we don't offer an AHA CPR Instructor class... I've been looking for one without success.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
well to teach AHA CPR you have to be attached to a AHA approved training center. So im still unclear if thats what you are. If not my training center would probably take you and you can still teach for your company that your speaking of but there is just some extra paperwork you would have to fill out. ill PM you with the info and you can see if they have an instructor course comeing up.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
well to teach AHA CPR you have to be attached to a AHA approved training center. So im still unclear if thats what you are. If not my training center would probably take you and you can still teach for your company that your speaking of but there is just some extra paperwork you would have to fill out. ill PM you with the info and you can see if they have an instructor course comeing up.

Excellent- thanks so much for the info.

Yeah I'm not sure if my organization qualifies. I think we do? We used to offer the AHA Instructor class but don't haven't had one in a few years (mainly because we already have two or three instructors who are certified).

I replied to your PM- thank you again.
Cheers!

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Is an AHA CPR instructor required to also carry a CPR card or does the instructor card count as CPR certification?

During my BLS instructor course this weekend, I asked the Training center coordinator the above question. What I was told was this:

The Instructor card is what you must keep current. Some job sites may require the AHA BLS for HCP card regardless of your instructor status. If this is the case, you may contact your AHA training center coordinator, and for $6.00 request the card. So from what I get from this, no need to re-cert (as long as your instructor cert is current). When in doubt, contact an AHA TC near you.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief

Wow, you folks up North do seem to have trouble finding an instructor course, I took the instructor course this weekend, we had one guy from Napa Ca, and another from Rio Vista.

The best bet is to find a training center near you and contact them. You can find your nearest training center using the TC search tool, the link below:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/classConnector.jsp?pid=ahaweb.classconnector.home

Just enter zip in appropriate box, then select BLS instructor course.

If your near Sacramento, you may give this TC a call.

UCDMC map
Training Center ID: CA02907
4900 Broadway Ste 1630
Sacramento, CA 95820-1534
USA
cnereg@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
http://cne.ucdavis.edu

Hope that helps.