Age and firearms

Regarding carrying handguns:

• I am under thirty, no military service, and want to carry.

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • I am over thirty, no military service, and want to carry.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I am under thirty, no military service, and DO NOT want to carry.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • I am over thirty, no military service, and DO NOT want to carry.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I am under thirty with military service and want to carry.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I am over thirty, with military service, and DO NOT want to carry.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I or a close family member have suffered a GSW.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I have successfully thwarted an actual, not possible, crime with a firearm.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My company specifically allows or encourages employees to carry firearms on duty.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm curious some more.
Please answer honestly. This will be anonymous.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Very old (I've been 29 for many many years) and all for properly educated Paramedics having the option to carry concealed firearms.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

medic you jumped the gun...so to speak.

..............................................;)

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
need to give more options... you forgot people like me

under 30, with military service, do not want to carry.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

GoshI wish I could edit that poll

I'm typing from work.........

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

If I missed your option, speak up

I'll hire someone to do the math.
See if I post from WORK again!!:sad:

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

So tell us about these crimes you all thwarted.

I actually had a family member saved by a snoopy little old lady next door with a shotgun, but it was such a fluke...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I actually had a family member saved by a snoopy little old lady next door with a shotgun, but it was such a fluke...
Burglar breaking into my parent's garage one night after I got off duty. Nothing says "Don't even think about running" like a .40 caliber pistol backed up by a Doberman and a Rottweiler.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Did you know you can't shoot a burglar?

No threat to self or others unless he or she brandishes or attacks, and then it has to be a "credible menace".
Odd how you can launch a 200 lb dog or let it go on it's own, but not produce a handgun which allegedly you can control.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

If you voted, drop a comment so we can get an overall tally.

(By "we" I mean me:blush:).

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you mean on duty or off duty? I'm all for CC but I feel no need to carry on duty.

By not having a cc law the only ones that are stopped are the honest ones and they typically aren't the ones committing crimes.

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
While I am a strong advocate of the right to carry and use armed self defense, I have mixed emotions about EMS going armed.

In answer to the poll:

I'm over 30, have not been in the military and have a concealed handgun license.

I have had to draw my pistol once in 25 years of regular carrying.

I have never carried while on duty in EMS, but I know people who do. I have done armed security work, and never had to draw my pistol. I've OCed a couple of people and whacked a couple of idiots with a baton, but never needed a firearm.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
No threat to self or others unless he or she brandishes or attacks, and then it has to be a "credible menace".
Odd how you can launch a 200 lb dog or let it go on it's own, but not produce a handgun which allegedly you can control.
I didn't have to shoot him, even though he did grab a machete my father kept in the garage for clearing brush around our property when I came through the door. He realized really quickly he wasn't going to win this and dropped the machete before I could get a shot off.

Also, whether you can shoot someone and what constitutes a "reasonable threat" varies from state to state and even county to county at times. One county south of us had a homeowner shoot a burglar in the BACK of the head with a deer rifle as he was fleeing down the driveway after assaulting the homeowner (knocked him down after bullrushing him causing him to lose his glasses) and the county prosecutor declined to file charges. The prosecutor actually made a comment to the press about how we should just be glad a repeat felon was not around to prey upon our society and how lucky we were that an innocent man did not get seriously hurt. I happen to remember this particular case because I was one of the first EMTs on the scene for it.

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
In New Mexico, being in your house makes a burglar a "credible menace" and makes deadly force legal. Case in point; A man under the influnce of PCP kicked in my brother's front door. My brother shot him and it was ruled a justifiable shooting even though the guy was not armed. (FWIW; The perp lived.)

The law in NM allows the use of deadly force if someone has a "reasonable belief" that they, or another person, is in danger of death or "great bodily harm". Case in point; A man went into a local Wal-Mart and attacked his ex-wife with a knife. A witness who had a concealed handgun license shot and killed the attacker. It was a slam dunk justifiable homicide even though the shooter was not the direct victim of the attack.

There is also no "duty to retreat" in NM. You can stand your ground and defend yourself if attacked.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In New Mexico, being in your house makes a burglar a "credible menace" and makes deadly force legal. Case in point; A man under the influnce of PCP kicked in my brother's front door. My brother shot him and it was ruled a justifiable shooting even though the guy was not armed. (FWIW; The perp lived.)

The law in NM allows the use of deadly force if someone has a "reasonable belief" that they, or another person, is in danger of death or "great bodily harm". Case in point; A man went into a local Wal-Mart and attacked his ex-wife with a knife. A witness who had a concealed handgun license shot and killed the attacker. It was a slam dunk justifiable homicide even though the shooter was not the direct victim of the attack.

There is also no "duty to retreat" in NM. You can stand your ground and defend yourself if attacked.

One of the reasons I love this state.

But back to the topic, I carry regularly concealed and openly anyways. Only time I don't carry is at work at the hospital and on internship

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Under 30, no military, own a firearm, want the ability to carry if I felt it's necessary. (That's my vote, but it's not up there ;) )

As for carrying on the job... If I was a tactical medic, then yes, I'd like to be able to. Aside from that, it is my belief that if one is doing their job appropriately, then they don't need to carry.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I see no point in carrying on the job.

Outside of the job I am very pro conceal-carry. Just imagine if one teacher at Columbine or one person at Virginia Tech had a concealed handgun on them. The outcome would have been vastly different.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Outside of the job I am very pro conceal-carry. Just imagine if one teacher at Columbine or one person at Virginia Tech had a concealed handgun on them. The outcome would have been vastly different.

Yeah, they would have been arrested for carrying a firearm in a school zone. :wacko:

Sasha

Forum Chief

It could have been, or it could have just added more to the casualty list.

Status
Not open for further replies.