After the deaths of 13 EMS workers, coronavirus is forcing some N.J. squads to drop service

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Always been a question of what happens when you call 911 and no one shows up: now in places people are going to find out.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Always been a question of what happens when you call 911 and no one shows up: now in places people are going to find out.

What's the chance of IFT being sent out to make house calls? I have been wondering if that's even likely or not. At this moment I'd say unlikely but in the area tons of local companies have gone under or closed their doors temporarily

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
What's the chance of IFT being sent out to make house calls? I have been wondering if that's even likely or not. At this moment I'd say unlikely but in the area tons of local companies have gone under or closed their doors temporarily
I assure you if AMR can get their foot in on 911 action, theyll do it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I assure you if AMR can get their foot in on 911 action, theyll do it.
If FEMA requests it and will pay AMR then they will gladly do it.

If FEMA doesn’t do it then AMR will only do it if it will be profitable for them. If they will not make money on it then they will pack up and say “not our problem”.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
In the case of these squads, the hospital based EMS agencies that were already providing coverage have taken over 24/7

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
the NJ vollie BLS squads that don’t bill are unlicensed and unregulated. Probably time for that whole system to go away.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
the NJ vollie BLS squads that don’t bill are unlicensed and unregulated. Probably time for that whole system to go away.
or just.... idk.... license and regulate them....... hold everyone to the same standard. the system has been underfunded for decades.... you can't fix it over night, and simply removing every volunteer EMS agency would cause the state's EMS system to collapse.

and in all reality, it's actually a very slim minority of EMS agencies that are unregulated..... usually just those that are part of fire departments. and truth be told, if they didn't run an ambulance, the nearest mutual aid ambulance would have an extended eta. despite what many uninformed people say, the FAC does have some standards, even if it has no teeth to enforce them.

I don't agree with what many of the agencies are doing.... however, many FDs are scaling back on the EMS calls they go on, or not making patient contact unless EMS is on scene and says they are needed. And they aren't abandoning their coverage areas; most (if not all) are making sure they have another agency covering their area, often with paid staff instead of volunteers. It's not a takeover, they were asked to provide the service by the bls squads.