After EMT-B

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Besides taking certifications and looking for employment, is there anything else a brand new EMT-B should be doing after they complete their basic course?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Look into medic classes?

And keep studying. Never know how long it will take to get a job.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Besides taking certifications and looking for employment, is there anything else a brand new EMT-B should be doing after they complete their basic course?

Take college-level science classes, including:
Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
Chemistry
English
Other biology/chemistry related courses

Then (or at the same time), look into medic school.

Hope this helps!
Eric

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
there are several one and two day courses (more like seminars) that will benefit you. ICS200, PHTLS, PEARS, PEPP, and GEMS were on my list, and i'm still trying to weasel my way into Advance Burn Life Support (hoping one of my nursing buddies can hook me up).

as medichopeful mentioned, Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2, Chemistry 1, English, Biology 1 & 2, and I will throw in intro to psych, math, and sociology.

glock22brent

Forum Probie
I had the "advantage" of getting my bachelors in biology and forensic science
Prior to taking my emt-b course and I would say out of all the classes I took in college that A&P, forensic anthroology, developmental biology, and biology I and II were the most helpful in my emt training.

I also took a lot of Chem classes, but they didn't help much (likely will help a lot if I go to intermediate or paramedic in the future.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Take college-level science classes, including:
Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2
Chemistry
English
Other biology/chemistry related courses

Then (or at the same time), look into medic school.

Hope this helps!
Eric

Quoted for Truth.

Keep learning. I think that college A&P should be a prerequisite to medic school... And the others don't hurt, either.

OP
OP
S

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Should I take Spanish?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Should I take Spanish?

Depends on where you work. Try to figure out the language that's the biggest besides English in your area, and take that.

glock22brent

Forum Probie
really? i dont think organic helped at all. are you saying for when you become a paramedic?

knowing the structures of compounds (basically all organic chem is) didnt get covered at all in class.

forensic anthropology was pretty much a "bones" class. really helped with human skeletal anatomy, which is pretty important in this field.

however, if youre talking about paramedic (which i havent started yet) then i guess it may help......seeing as i dont know all they cover.

glock22brent

Forum Probie
really? i dont think organic helped at all. are you saying for when you become a paramedic?

knowing the structures of compounds (basically all organic chem is) didnt get covered at all in class.

forensic anthropology was pretty much a "bones" class. really helped with human skeletal anatomy, which is pretty important in this field.

however, if youre talking about paramedic (which i havent started yet) then i guess it may help......seeing as i dont know all they cover.

the second sentence may have been a little confusing so i will state it a different way.........organic chemistry topics didnt get covered at all in basic class......neither did gen chem either for that matter.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't waste your money with cookbook alphabet soup classes that will only teach you how to manage septic shock with permissive hypotension.

Brown's list of classes would include

Chemistry
Biology
A&P
Pharmacology
English

In that order.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

So does A&P :p

glock22brent

Forum Probie
Agreed.

And yes, we're talking about paramedic. You can take the basic class without finishing high school. And people do.

haha, you can take chem classes without finishing high school too!

nah, thats good to know, maybe i will finally get to use some of my chem knowledge (at least the little bit i remember) in the field......

glock22brent

Forum Probie
Forget the forensic anthro, take a year of organic.

is this from your past experience of taking forensic anthropology?

i think hands on bone and bone fragment studies really helped. you dont have to agree with it, but i would hope you at least took the course if you are going to dismiss it so easily.

OP
OP
S

sop

Forum Lieutenant
So far, from Brown's list, I had:

High School Chemistry & Biology.
&
College English