Aemt

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Just got tapped to take the brand new shinny AEMT course in PA. This is the first run of the program and including clinical (48) and lab (24) time will end up being a 250 hour program, this sound about right in other states that are using the AEMT level?:huh:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just got tapped to take the brand new shinny AEMT course in PA. This is the first run of the program and including clinical (48) and lab (24) time will end up being a 250 hour program, this sound about right in other states that are using the AEMT level?:huh:

My EMT-Intermediate course was around 250-300 didactic and 100-150 clinical . That was in 2006. The program is similar now and called AEMT.

Edited to correct hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RescueRider724

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Just got an email for the class and sounds like it is more in line with what you said, 250 classroom, and an additional 60 hours split between ER and riding on a rig with a paramedic in addition to that. Since this is the first run I am sure things are still a bit fluid and will change as we move along in the program.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I forgot to mention we also had to do A&P , and a few electives to get a diploma vs certificate. We could also take 1 of the paramedic classes as an elective. ( I went through a cc program )

hogwiley

Forum Captain
AEMT is a license without a purpose in most states save a couple of states that have all but done away with EMT Basics working the road.

About the only use an AEMT license has in my state is it might make you marginally more attractive as an ER tech because you are trained to start IVs and know at least some of the basics of ECG interpretation(I think?). As far as working the road, the AEMT license is almost useless, and AEMTs are basically just used as EMT Basics, and where I work paid exactly the same.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
AEMT is a license without a purpose in most states save a couple of states that have all but done away with EMT Basics working the road.

About the only use an AEMT license has in my state is it might make you marginally more attractive as an ER tech because you are trained to start IVs and know at least some of the basics of ECG interpretation(I think?). As far as working the road, the AEMT license is almost useless, and AEMTs are basically just used as EMT Basics, and where I work paid exactly the same.

Unless you're in a rural it frontier setting where ALS might only be provided by ILS providers. I'm not a fan of that reason but where I've worked as an intermediate, I was primary on the truck and there were very little resources to call for a medic to intercept

OP
OP
RescueRider724

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
we are in the rural urban interface region, we do have als ambulances in the area but they are limited in number. We are currently running a BLS quick response truck and with the growing population it has been determined by the powers that be we need to upgrade to an ALS QRS truck, also we have had our 1 paramedic firefighter asked to ride on some of the rather dicey ground transports and they have requested we provide AEMT's for this reason. We are volunteer so the pay means nothing, it is the improved level of care we can provide until a paramedic can get there that would have made the difference in a few cases we have had in the past few years. On a good day the level 1 trauma centers are 30-45 mins ground transport, 10-15 air ambulance if they find an LZ close enough to be used and/or can fly.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
My class was around 450-500 hours, of course that was going from zero to NRAEMT.

OP
OP
RescueRider724

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
It looks like in Pa at least, after this year of transition with implementation of the AEMT program; the plan is to require people starting in 2015-2016 to run the full gamut if they wish to become a Paramedic, EMR to EMT to AEMT to Paramedic finally. Not sure if that is a good idea or not, good educationally, but how many people who want to be a paramedic would go through that to get there? We have an abundance of Paramedics in the West and East of PA from what I hear, but if every state does this it could be an issue in a few years I think with normal attrition and retirements.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
It looks like in Pa at least, after this year of transition with implementation of the AEMT program; the plan is to require people starting in 2015-2016 to run the full gamut if they wish to become a Paramedic, EMR to EMT to AEMT to Paramedic finally. Not sure if that is a good idea or not, good educationally, but how many people who want to be a paramedic would go through that to get there? We have an abundance of Paramedics in the West and East of PA from what I hear, but if every state does this it could be an issue in a few years I think with normal attrition and retirements.

So they would be making people test NREMT 4 times? That's frankly just stupid. When I was in school, the state required that we test NREMT-B then turn around at the end of the AEMT and test for NRAEMT. So I've already tested NREMT twice, and should I decide to get my medic that will be a third time. Mind you that EMT-I/AEMT is the minimum to work on a truck in this state.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

That sounds like, no offense, the dumbest thing I've ever heard of

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
That sounds like, no offense, the dumbest thing I've ever heard of

I don't know about running people through EMR first (To be fair though, I don't know how EMR differs from FR, not much, I think.), but (and I know this is an eternal argument, hell, I've chimed in on it at least twice in the last few months.), I maintain that going through I/AEMT before medic makes for a stronger medic.

Is it possible to be a good medic without being an intermediate? Sure, but it's harder. More to the point, the average brand new medic isn't as good if they jumped from basic.

For what it's worth, Maine requires B->I->P, and even though I wound up doing my medic elsewhere, I did do the first two there.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't know about running people through EMR first (To be fair though, I don't know how EMR differs from FR, not much, I think.), but (and I know this is an eternal argument, hell, I've chimed in on it at least twice in the last few months.), I maintain that going through I/AEMT before medic makes for a stronger medic.

Is it possible to be a good medic without being an intermediate? Sure, but it's harder. More to the point, the average brand new medic isn't as good if they jumped from basic.

For what it's worth, Maine requires B->I->P, and even though I wound up doing my medic elsewhere, I did do the first two there.

The FR is one of the main reasons I thought it was dumb... I generally advocate that people should step up at a rate they feel comfortable with. And for some it's b->P with no experience, and I've seen some good medics come out like that. I was an intermediate in a rural area for almost three years, and I do think it's helped make me into a stronger medic... maybe a hell of a more aggressive medic, but that's not all bad

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

I went to medic school in Maine. After the first semester of Paramedic school we could test out as an I, if we wanted. We were not required to license at the ILS level. The material was taught at the Paramedic level. If we chose to test out there was a 40 hour class going over the differences for the state or NR test. That was back in 2006. At the time the Maine EMT-Intermediate was in between I-85 and I-99 so it was a state test and they only used NREMT for basic and medic. They may require it now but they didn't before.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I went to medic school in Maine. After the first semester of Paramedic school we could test out as an I, if we wanted. We were not required to license at the ILS level. The material was taught at the Paramedic level. If we chose to test out there was a 40 hour class going over the differences for the state or NR test. That was back in 2006. At the time the Maine EMT-Intermediate was in between I-85 and I-99 so it was a state test and they only used NREMT for basic and medic. They may require it now but they didn't before.

Interesting, that's roughly when I was doing it. Maybe it was just my region, and thus school...or possibly vice versa. I thought it was statewide. Where in Maine did you do it?

hogwiley

Forum Captain
My school doesn't allow people to test out as intermediates part of the way through class.

The problem is Paramedic school is structured differently. You get way more in depth and spend a lot more time on certain things, so at the end of our first semester we knew pharmacology and airway way better than an aemt, but hadn't even touched things like cardiology or trauma or peds. So it wouldn't have worked trying to test out as an intermediate after one semester, or even two.

I suppose we could try to test out as AEMTs at the end, but by then whats the point, you are going to go for Paramedic. I doubt my instructors would ok it anyway, they basically told us go paramedic or go home.