Advice on how to address an issue

Amber

Forum Crew Member
I am currently a student, and I have been noticed that several of our tests as well as chapter quizzes are keyed wrong. We take online tests, that the director of our program makes, our instructor has no say over the actual tests. One of the Major test had 5 or 6 answers that where keyed wrong and where marked wrong. My class has talked to the director as a whole, but it seems we are still having these errors. I should also say that I have the most respect for my program director for the amount of work she does at the school, and still works a full time medic job.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I am currently a student, and I have been noticed that several of our tests as well as chapter quizzes are keyed wrong. We take online tests, that the director of our program makes, our instructor has no say over the actual tests. One of the Major test had 5 or 6 answers that where keyed wrong and where marked wrong. My class has talked to the director as a whole, but it seems we are still having these errors. I should also say that I have the most respect for my program director for the amount of work she does at the school, and still works a full time medic job.

We had this same issue in my class.

Make sure you are right, and can back up your claims before speaking to your professor or department head.

Ask politely for them to explain why one answer is correct or wrong, and if they won't change it let it go until your grade is almost finalized. If at that point, these miskeyed questions will directly impact your grade, then fight for the grade that is rightfully yours.

Be careful though, as you don't want cross or burn any bridges this early into your career.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Amber

Forum Crew Member
We had this same issue in my class.

Make sure you are right, and can back up your claims before speaking to your professor or department head.

Ask politely, and if they won't change it let it go until your grade is almost finalized. If at that point, these miskeyed questions will directly impact your grade, then fight for the grade that is rightfully yours.

Be careful though, as you don't want cross or burn any bridges this early into your career.

That is my exact concern, as she is pretty well known in our local EMS community. An example of one of the questions.... How would ya answer this?

Common signs of airway burn include all of the following,except:

Hoarseness

Chest pressure

Singed nasal hair

Soot around the Mouth.

Im not worried about passing or failing, im making a high b.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
That is my exact concern, as she is pretty well known in our local EMS community. An example of one of the questions.... How would ya answer this?

Hoarseness

Chest pressure

Singed nasal hair

Soot around the Mouth.

The director of your program did not write these questions. The correct answer is chest pressure, but the correct keyed answer is soot around the mouth right?

I remember this question, and I have the answer key.

I believe hoarseness, singed nasal hair and soot around the mouth are all listed on p. 902 of your book (Brady 2nd edtition?)

8jimi8

CFRN

Hoarseness

Chest pressure

Singed nasal hair

Soot around the Mouth.

I routinely petition for credit on questions that are either miskeyed, or answered incorrectly. I quote text book pages and supply my own rationales.

Example my airway test resulted in a grade of 78.7%.

After my email to my instructor, my grade was changed to a 91.

If you are correct, your director should have no problem crediting your score. You do not deserve to get a b if you earn an A

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are correct, your director should have no problem crediting your score. You do not deserve to get a b if you earn an A

There should be no issue with crediting correct answers, but this seems to be a phenomenon particular to EMS.

You have to remember at the end of the day, most of your EMS instructors, are just fire-medics looking to earn an extra buck.

This situation would be unheard of in any major university, yet it seems fairly common place in EMS classrooms.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Below is another bum question from this same test bank.

***I do not believe posting this question is in violation of forum rules, as the question can not be answered, and is therefore rendered useless.

For a patient with hemophilia B, which of the following statements is TRUE?

A. The patient's father was a carrier for the the defective gene, and the mother did not carry the
defective gene.
B. The patient's father had hemophilia B, and the mother was a carrier of the defective gene.
C. The patient's mother was a carrier for the defective gene, and the father did not carry the
defective gene.
D. The patient's father had hemophilia B, and the mother was unaffected.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is one more question, same reason for posting. I would be interested to see which EMTLIFERS know what is wrong with this question. There is in my opinion a correct answer, though it is not the answer deemed correct by the writer.

I will not be posting the "correct answer" or the correct answer at this time, as I would like to see if any EMTLIFERS know why this is a bad question.

39. The carpopedal spasms that occur due to hyperventilation syndrome are a result of a relative
________, secondary to ________.

A.hypocalcemia, increase in bound calcium
B. hypercalcemia, respiratory alkalosis
C. hypocalcemia, decrease in unbound calcium
D. hyponatremia, respiratory alkalosis

8jimi8

CFRN
We did the same thing in nursing school. When you use online resources it is inevitable.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok. When your instructors use online resources to create your tests.

OP
OP
A

Amber

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for your responses! Ok yes making note of the question and putting documentation to it will be what I will do. I totally agree that I shouldnt get a b if i earned an a, as GPA is what helps you get accepted to advance programs.

OP
OP
A

Amber

Forum Crew Member
The director of your program did not write these questions. The correct answer is chest pressure, but the correct keyed answer is soot around the mouth right?

I remember this question, and I have the answer key.

I believe hoarseness, singed nasal hair and soot around the mouth are all listed on p. 902 of your book (Brady 2nd edtition?)

How is it chest pressure, in reality not necessarily what the book says? Wouldnt trouble breathing create chest pressure? and I have brady 9th