Advice for a newbie?

zippersful

Forum Ride Along
Hey, everyone! I'm hoping you all can help answer a few questions I've got about becoming an EMT. It's something I've always been interested in. I'm about to have a bit of a new start in life (insert long, involved story here) and I've decided that heading back to school to become an EMT is what I want to do. I'm currently living in Japan, but will be heading back to the states later this year. I've already checked out programs and what not, so I guess what I'm asking for is advice. I've noticed that a lot of people are involved with volunteering, obviously a good thing. What sort of training to you have to do in order to volunteer? And what are you legally allowed to do? Any recommendations for good web sites or books? In general, what am I getting into?

Thanks for any help!

Azarias

Forum Probie
I'm pretty sure most volunteer squads let you ride while you're in training and will teach you how to respond to calls. The specifics of what you can and can't do while riding and as an EMT-b are probably state specific and squad specific ie covered by protocols. I know that every squad here in NJ requires you to have your BLS before riding.

Tanker299

Forum Probie
I know that every squad here in NJ requires you to have your BLS before riding.

Hmm, not exactly all. Some of the squads here in South-Cental NJ and further South have "Trainees" who ride on calls under very specific guidelines.
In short, no unsupervised (unless directed) patient contact, must have 2 certified EMT's along with one beyond their probationary period.
Our trainees learn directly while on scene as well as drills and classroom work.

When you get back home, seek out your local volunteer squad in your town.
Also, search through this site as there are many posts that answer specifics around basic life support folks (EMT-B) and advanced life support (Paramedics)

Good luck !

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Where in the US do you live? I know some states don't have volunteer depts for anyone who is not certified.

Soco_and_Lime

Forum Probie
Hey, everyone! I'm hoping you all can help answer a few questions I've got about becoming an EMT. It's something I've always been interested in. I'm about to have a bit of a new start in life (insert long, involved story here) and I've decided that heading back to school to become an EMT is what I want to do. I'm currently living in Japan, but will be heading back to the states later this year. I've already checked out programs and what not, so I guess what I'm asking for is advice. I've noticed that a lot of people are involved with volunteering, obviously a good thing. What sort of training to you have to do in order to volunteer? And what are you legally allowed to do? Any recommendations for good web sites or books? In general, what am I getting into?

Thanks for any help!

A lot of your questions vary from state to state. But as far as web sites or books, I can't recommend these forums enough if you really want to know what you're 'getting into'.

OP
OP
Z

zippersful

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the input, everyone! I still have a few months before I'm back in the states, so I'm just doing research about it. The college I was looking at had a two year program, but I've read on the forum about people doing classes in about 6 months. Is it all the same in the end?

medicb

Forum Probie
Two year program for EMT - B is a bit long. You may be looking at a Paramedic class. In order to take a Paramedic class, in most cases, you must already have your EMT-B certification.

Depending on the class schedule, an EMT class can last anywhere between 2-6 months.

EZcomeEZgo

Forum Ride Along
I'm completing an online EMT-B course in Las Vegas. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting flexibility and a "go at your own pace" atmosphere. There is a 5 day, hands on, skills training portion at the end of the program. Worth it for anybody with limited time.

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
It depends on what kind of program you go into.

I think what I did was pretty common/reflective of many: a program that meets two evenings a week for four hours, and on Saturdays for eight hours. That took me from mid January-mid April for classroom work and a couple rotations. Then I took the state practical exam in May along with the written NREMT exam, and got my certification shortly thereafter.

I'm sure there are other avenues, but this allows you to work a daytime job simultaneously. I paid for everything out of pocket, but oftentimes if you join a volunteer fire department for a little while, they'll pay for you as long as you're going to be helping them out with your certification afterward.

Again, it probably differs by region, but I live in an area where it's pretty common to have volunteer fire departments in smaller towns amidst a few larger towns around the area. A fair amount of the people in the department aren't qualified Firefigher 1 OR as EMTs; they show up at calls to help however they can, they attend monthly meetings and training sessions, and eventually they'll typically find the time to attend one or more of the certification courses later on. That may be harder for you if you live in an area that has larger, full-time, paid departments and not as much of an opportunity for volunteering.

I became a certified EMT before even realizing there were two volunteer fire departments within ten minutes of where I've lived for several years. I realized I liked having the book knowledge I had, and wanted to see if I could cement that knowledge in practice and help out volunteering, so I joined the fire department. I've only been doing it for 9 months or so, but I really enjoy it. Eventually if I find the time, I may try to get licensed as a medic, but I'll be doing that strictly out of pocket without the intention of doing it for a paid career, and only out of the personal interest in the education and experience value.

Hope it helps somewhat, and good luck when you get back.

Last edited by a moderator: