Advanced ALS stuff?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Hell we have been proactively leaving people at home for thirty years, not too many places I know who do that.

Oh and we are also doing RSI and thrombolysis now too.

We don't do it in the US because there would be no legal protection if anything went wrong...

Medics leave patient at home, pt stubs toe, pt sues...

Medics leave pt at home, pt gets a tummy ache, pt sues...

In other countries the judges would laugh at them, in the US its a million dollar settlement.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't do it in the US because there would be no legal protection if anything went wrong...

In other countries the judges would laugh at them, in the US its a million dollar settlement.

Only a lousy million? Bloody hell you need to get a better lawyer! :D

medic417

The Truth Provider

Actually there are services in the USA that treat and release.

Do not use blanket statements the are almost always wrong. ;)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Falls intervention in the elderly.

Saves more lives than crics..not as cool though.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Falls intervention in the elderly.

Saves more lives than crics..not as cool though.

*Brown and Oz rock up clad in thier orange jumpsuits with "DOCTOR" and "PARAMEDIC" respectively written on the back and 20kg Thomas Packs slung over thier shoulder, dump them on the ground and go about checking the laryngascopes, ketamine and suxamethonium....

Now my dear, earl grey and two sugars was it? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
English breakfast and one will fix the entire health system.^_^

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh and back to the original topic, my new system allows RSI for medics, Flumazenil is carried as ILS/ALS respons to benzo ODs, beta blockers are carried for the medics... That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head, maybe when I get my protocol book I can see what other fun toys we get

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Flumazinil is nasty and evil, its almost as evil as the New World Order ..... but not quite

I think we carried it for a brief period in the eighties and quickly withdrew it

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Flumazinil is nasty and evil, its almost as evil as the New World Order ..... but not quite

I think we carried it for a brief period in the eighties and quickly withdrew it
Trust me, I'm aware of that. Even the RNs at my old ED wouldn't use the stuff. But the OP asked for stuff not covered in standard curriculum.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I am not sure Brown is in the standard cirriculi either. Heck I think he is a whole seperate qualification ... possibly in some area of mental health :D

YoungMedic

Forum Probie
RSI
Surgical Cric
Quick-Trak

There are 2 different sizes of Quick-Trak, Peds and Adult. Make sure to check and see witch one you are about to use.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
That's 1.5 million NZ though remember :D

Mate, the Powerball was $27 million last wee do you really expect Brown to settle for a million?

With that sort of money HEMS Auckland and BASICS could get a million each, man I'd be popular, that orange jumpsuit would read "DONOR" instead of "DOCTOR" :D

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Why need surgical and quick trach?

Why do you NOT need surgical airways? Needle crics can not ventilate a patient. They're not often needed, but when a surgical aiway is called for, either it's performed or the patient suffers an anoxic episode and dies. This one of the few times EMS truly "saves lives", far more than RSI.

reaper

Working Bum
Quick trachs are not a needle cric. They are very adequate airways.

I just do not see the need for both, either one or the other.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
(Opens mouth and inserts foot)

Understand what your asking now. I though it was more of a general questioning of percutaneous and/or surgical airways. Very sorry for the overreaction.

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Therapeutic Hypothermia, RSI for starters. Not exactly what other states are allowed and not allowed to do. New Jersey is very liberal in terms of ALS procedures however.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Off the top of my head: RSI, Thrombolytics for STEMI, liberal pain management protocols, a couple of different beta blockers...

I work in several different counties and every place is a little different.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Any chance you could maybe send me a copy of your protocols for thrombolytics? I know my new service is looking to add those for their medics soon, but are trying to find examples across the country to base it on.