Additional Certs.

MorganM

Forum Ride Along
Hi I'm a fresh EMT - B looking for extra certifications I should take whether they be online or a multi - day class that would benefit me in the long run.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hi I'm a fresh EMT - B looking for extra certifications I should take whether they be online or a multi - day class that would benefit me in the long run.
A degree.

Reactions: NPO

VentMonkey

Family Guy
That isn't for us to say. What's you end goal? Do you want to be a doctor? Nurse? Cop? Firefighter? PA? Lawyer?

It really all depends, but until then I would focus on getting my GE credits until I knew for sure what my end goal was. You can always switch majors. IMO, there's no reason to waste time on certs that may be provided in say, a paramedic course (if this is a goal of yours).

I have been in this field for a little while now, and am beginning to see the significance a degree holds; thanks in part to this website. Hope this helps, good luck.

OP
OP
MorganM

MorganM

Forum Ride Along
That isn't for us to say. What's you end goal? Do you want to be a doctor? Nurse? Cop? Firefighter? PA? Lawyer?

It really all depends, but until then I would focus on getting my GE credits until I knew for sure what my end goal was. You can always switch majors. IMO, there's no reason to waste time on certs that may be provided in say, a paramedic course (if this is a goal of yours).

I have been in this field for a little while now, and am beginning to see the significance a degree holds; thanks in part to this website. Hope this helps, good luck.
Right I should've mentioned going firefighter then paramedic was the long run goal I appreciate the help and will look into it!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Right I should've mentioned going firefighter then paramedic was the long run goal I appreciate the help and will look into it!

AS in fire science would help. I don't know of many schools that offer a BS for fire science. With todays trend for promotability you'll need some sort of bachelors degree to advance through the ranks. Some places want a specific type of degree others just require a bachelors degree. Some medic schools the credits you get can count to a AS degree. I know the medic schools I'm looking at do this. If your end goal is fire then I would recommend paramedic (only if you want to be a medic, not just to get in with the fire dept.), AS degree (minimum), and a fire academy. You can a get hired without the degree, but in the long run its the better option. Make yourself marketable and get experience.

FFPRN16

The catch-all
I know a lot of the paramedic degrees are A.A.S and not AS degrees so i would look into which one you want if you decide to go that route. Some schools also have it so that you can take the paramedic program and choose which degree you will have at the end of it for example, A.A.S Paramedic or A.A.S in Fire Science some schools even offer more than that so you have a lot of options.

AintNoDoctor

Forum Probie
Looking at my own roundabout path I would suggest volunteering with a department if that's an option in your area. Also, pursue a paramedic AAS degree program as soon as possible. In my area fire science degrees are an option as well but many times it doesn't give you much more of an edge and soaks up another year or two of your time. However, there are great programs out there and provide a lot of opportunity to network as well.
The department will often provide you with certs and classes that will benefit your career. Sometimes they'll even pay for them. They also offer great experience and a potential to connect with others in EMS. It's a small world, make friends. In many cases a department will also pay for your paramedic or perhaps a fraction of it.
I would also highly recommend finishing a bachelors degree in an applicable field of science in any spare time you may find. It's a heavy load, but it will only open doors that you may wish were available further down the road.
Hope that helps, Good luck!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That's short, what degrees would you recommend?
Business Administration. A degree in that will open doors anywhere, aswell as set you up for when you eventually get too old or tired for the field and want to move into administration.

To appease your interests you can fill the degree requirements with relevant classes if offered at your school.

My community college used to offer Medical Math, which you could take instead of Algebra 1, and they had English Composition for Medical Providers, which was a substitute for English Comp.

BUT budget cuts cleaned up those options pretty quick.