ADD/ADHD in EMS providers

Do you have ADD or ADHD?

• Yes, and I have been diagnosed.

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • I suspect so, but I have not been diagnosed.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • No.

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters

harryb714

Forum Crew Member
You've read my mind, and then had to read it again].... This is exactly me as you described... Even socially. I have a very short attention span and I find I almost need to trick myself into "feeling" the subject/task I'm involved in... i.e. Whenever I study EMT/Paramedic stuff' I have to watch Emergency or some inspiring medical show and then turn it off and sit in complete silence to study... I haven't read beyond this post, I'm wondering what you've done for improvement... I will ask later if not stated further in the forum...

I haven't really done anything for improvement. But it has been reassuring to see that you (and a few others) have similar issues.

phideux

Forum Captain
I think I had ADHD and ADD growing up, but I got the permanent cure. I went to Catholic grade school, in the 70s, with the nuns and their rulers.
Them nuns work better than any drug you could think of.

SFox3325

Forum Probie
Me, ADD since 14, but out grew it? At least that's what our family MD told my parents at the time. My Brother, had ADHD, and still struggles with it to this day.

Luisgecarr

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I am a current wheelchair driver and I want to become an EMT. I recently took a drug test and told the nurse I take vyvance. She told me that I was not allowed while being both a wheelchair and ambulance driver; however, when I told the doctor at the drug test facility she informed that I was allowed as long as I show that I am being controlled by my doctor. I also asked at the DOT here in Florida and they told me it was ok.

Where kind I find written prove that I can work while being prescribed to my employer?

Thank You.

sack jears

Forum Crew Member
They thought I had ADD but i turned out to have bipolar disorder. Whole other can of worms right there

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They thought I had ADD but i turned out to have bipolar disorder. Whole other can of worms right there
This, ADD, and borderline personality disorder seem to have huge percentages in EMS compared to the general population.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I've been online for about an hour. 4 windows with a 2-4 tabs per window.:wacko:
On average I have 50+ tabs open
ADD here!

Nursing has a lot of crazy too.

Summit

Critical Crazy
2,3,4,6,7, and 8. My saving grace in school is my above average retention ability. I can usually get things on the first or second pass. Otherwise, it would be ugly.
Yep! Same here!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I know we're joking around about this, but I will say, without any reservation, I had no idea what normal felt like until I started taking Ritalin. It's a game changer in the way I am able to focus and complete projects. I no longer feel drawn in a thousand different directions. It has made a huge difference at work. It's not without side effects and titration of the dose is important, but it's good stuff if you truly need it.

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
I can sum up my ADD in this quote ... " I have found that a great deal of the information I have was acquired by looking for something and finding something else on the way."

Although I have to admit, I think it makes me a better Paramedic in the end by the way I am able to handle lots of spinning plates and still get the hyper-focus when I need to.