Actual experience providing field civilian medical care under fire?

airborne2chairborne

Forum Crew Member
more meant small town where there is no real local EMS or if there is it's just 2 ambulances

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Just because a service is small doesn't mean that it's not real, Airborne. I'd even reckon that those EMS providers are often more on-point than their big-city counterparts.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It might be an interesting comparison if we had a comparable social and political situation, thank heaven we don't.
And religious beliefs is another exemption, I believe? Or if you are of Palestinian/Arab/Persian etc extraction?

Men have to serve 3 years, women serve 2. The term of service is extended for pilots and officers, as well as special operations. Lots of the jobs are non-combatant, naturally (tooth-to-tail ratio, and all that jazz). Theoretically, all Jewish Israelis have to serve. Most of the very religious do not. There are lots of exemptions, too. Other than Jewish Israelis, Druze and Circassian Israeli men have to serve (not Druze or Circassian women). Bedouins often serve. Israeli Arabs are not mandated to serve.

Even if everybody had some military training, I wouldn't want anybody other than professionals --:censored:LE, MPs, folks who have served in combat units, say -- carrying a gun on any ambulance I'm in...

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
First rescue units in the modern sense were NYC police dept., basic first aid, long before EMS was devised.

Just transported a pt that was nypd back when they were drivers on ambulances. They said they despised it. Lifting and carrying without any training. Good times.