Accelerated Paramedic Schools

DtwoR

Forum Ride Along
If anyone knows of any full-time acclerated paramedic schools (anywhere in US) that is taking students for an EARLY 2007 start date, I would greatly appreciate any info.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't think you will find many agreeing to assist you. Accelerated programs are usually not thought as being a good idea (usually referred as shake & bake). The reason it takes time is to allow comprehension. Memorizing for tests and not allowing time to practice in between makes poor clinical performance.

I heard there is one in Nebraska, that one can go through in less than two months. The problem is that it is under investigation because you have to arrange your own clinicals and it states one can take the NREMT test before clinicals and that it costs $26,000.

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
What do you mean by accelerated? Are you taking about 2 years as opposed to 4? Are you talking about 10-12 months as opposed to 2 years? Are you talking about 3 months as opposed to 12? They all exist. Do some research and know what the heck you're talking about. I've known a few decent paramedics that came from the 3 month programs but they all had previous medical experience and education. I wouldn't recommend any post emt-b to paramedic program less than 12 months long.

Rid, are you telling me there is a 2 month paramedic course for 26,000???:wacko:...please tell me you put an extra zero on that figure.

Thats just stupid, yet another reason why Nebraska...nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
From what I understand that program is under investigation. I was informed that they were not actually sanctioned by Nebraska, however' sanctioned from an out of state school ( I don't know exactly how accurate, but I tend to believe them) As well NREMT describes one has to have finished all their clinical hours prior to taking the NREMT examination, different than this school describes.

I would be very skeptical on such a program & definitely investigate it more, especially for a horrendous price. From what I understand they training TACT teams for private duty over seas...

R/r 911

TubekB

Forum Ride Along
short term edu...

the web site seems very shady at best - and extremely over priced:excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DtwoR

Forum Ride Along
I have been an EMT-B for over 4 years and have had advanced training with needle-d's, IV's, etc. I work for an employer that is willing to pay for medic school but the catch is that they don't want me gone for more than 6-9 months. As things usually work out, my employer wants it done yesterday. People have recommended schools (in southern california) like California Paramedic Institue and East County Medical Training. These are 5 day a week classes for three months, then hospital hours, then preceptor. They have good reputation here in SoCal but none are offering the classes until may '07. I was looking for something similar in other parts of the country that start in Jan/Feb/Mar.

Epi-do

I see dead people
This program is in Bloomington, IN - EMT Inc. . I don't know anything about their accelerated medic program, but they have a good reputation locally for their other classes and programs.

I have been a basic for almost 8 years, and I just can't fathom a 3 month medic class, but that is just me. It seems like there is so much information to try and cram in to such a short period.

I do plan on going to medic school, but unfortunately, I need to wait until the hubby gets done with school. (I just finished a degree in May '06, so I have to let him have his turn now.) At that time, I will be taking college courses for A&P, and then going to medic school. That way, I will be able to get an assoc. degree instead of just a cert. (I already have all of the other classes that I need to complete the degree.) I would actually be intersted in a 4 year degree in paramedic science, but there aren't any around here, and since I have a husband and small child I can't exactly go away to school. Therefore, the assoc. will have to be it for the time being.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The only way a Paramedic could be any good in a program less than two years is to have either an extreme understanding knowledge of advanced science, or to have already attended courses such as anatomy & physiology, chemistry, psychology, etc at collegiate level.

Shake and bake course are just that. I don't care how much "field" experience one may have. Yes, it does give one some reference to fall back upon, but as others can attest there is much more to diagnostics than the skills one has by "working in the streets".

My suggestion is to take a anatomy & class, then take the Paramedic course. This will assist you in learning and have a better understanding of what your treating and patient is presenting. It would be a like a mechanic attempting to work on an auto without knowing what parts of the auto do and how they work.

R/r 911

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
It is now a prereq. in NC to take an A&P class before taking a Medic Class.

CGFD37

Forum Probie
UW-Wisconsin have a very reputable program. It's 18weeks of class/clinical. It is largely resevered for Madison FD, but they do accept 5-6 outside students. It's and excellent program! If you are interested let me know, I can give you a contact.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
The US ARMY Medic school is 18 weeks. In 18 weeks you go from 0 to Hero.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The US ARMY Medic school is 18 weeks. In 18 weeks you go from 0 to Hero.
I wouldn't go THAT far.... one of my co-workers is a weekend warrior army medic ;)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Thats what they say in the video:wacko:

Zephyr

Forum Crew Member
UW-Wisconsin have a very reputable program. It's 18weeks of class/clinical. It is largely resevered for Madison FD, but they do accept 5-6 outside students. It's and excellent program! If you are interested let me know, I can give you a contact.

Please send more info. Thanks in advance.

Frank

ckrump

Forum Probie
I have been an EMT-Basic since 1992. I started my Paramedic Classes last year in June, and am still trying to finish my clinicals (I have a white cloud over me). I had not taken any A&P or other science classes prior to Paramedic class and would not recommend an accelerated paramedic course to anyone who has not taken any previous A&P or other science classes. There is sooo much to learn and even the 12 month class that I participated in was a struggle to keep up without prior A&P. However, some people are accelerated learners and can do it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unless, someone has a great back ground in science or previous medical experience, then one that takes a short cut route, will be a short cut Paramedic. Yes, they may pass the test, but never really understand or have knowledge enough to really be exceptionally proficient unless they study a lot on their own.. then really what have they accomplished?

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
The thought of a accelerated paramedic course scares the **** out of me!!!!