Accelerated EMT – B Program in December (14 Days)

OP
OP
Tom Perroni

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
You have made your position well known. I fear at this point we will just be talking in circles. I wish you luck in your training and hope that you do become a medic.

Good Luck!

Tom

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You have made your position well known. I fear at this point we will just be talking in circles. I wish you luck in your training and hope that you do become a medic.

Good Luck!

Tom

Sheesh talk about a cop out. If you're going to choose not to answer the question at least give a reason. I think crazycajun's question is reasonable, and can certainly help to better your program's reputation.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
OJT? Well that makes my skin crawl.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
OJT? Well that makes my skin crawl.

Yeah Fish don't you know the best time to train a new EMT is when all hell is breaking loose at an MCI or when you have a PT in full Cardiac Arrest or when a ped PT is unresponsive? Geesh :rofl:

OP
OP
Tom Perroni

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
Sheesh talk about a cop out. If you're going to choose not to answer the question at least give a reason. I think crazycajun's question is reasonable, and can certainly help to better your program's reputation.

Cop out?

My reason....I don't owe him any explanation. He said that the program would not work for him…..O.K. don't take the course. His question is reasonable? It would better my programs reputation?

Please. I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with him any longer.

I offered him to come see for himself free of charge!

P.S. we teach Paramedic as well.

I'm done.

OP
OP
Tom Perroni

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
Yeah Fish don't you know the best time to train a new EMT is when all hell is breaking loose at an MCI or when you have a PT in full Cardiac Arrest or when a ped PT is unresponsive? Geesh :rofl:

Let’s talk about OJT …since it makes some peoples skin crawl….

So I guess you were both so high speed low drag that you came out of EMT-Basic and could do everything perfect right? I mean come on you were in class for so long I mean…well you didn’t even need to have a preceptor right? You were in class so long that you went over ever possible scenario that could happen in the field right?

There is no way that anyone can leave any program and be 100% perfect. You need OJT to mold you into what you will become in this field…And if you have a good preceptor your chances of being a good EMT are 10 fold.

My program is solid, my Instructors are solid, and my students are solid.

Baskin Robins has 31 flavors for a reason.

Tom

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Why do you refuse to give actual statistics (numbers not percentages) for your programs? I am not against or for programs such as yours, but this makes me think you are hiding something, such as the number of students actually taught ect.

JPINFV

Gadfly

So I guess you were both so high speed low drag that you came out of EMT-Basic and could do everything perfect right? I mean come on you were in class for so long I mean…well you didn’t even need to have a preceptor right? You were in class so long that you went over ever possible scenario that could happen in the field right?

1. Preceptors and clinicals are not the same as OTJ training.

2. EMS all too often uses OTJ training as a bandaid to cover up deficient training standards.

OP
OP
Tom Perroni

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
If you don't mind me asking, how long is your paramedic program, Tom?

Classroom 12 weeks 40 hours per week= 480 hours
Hospital clinicals are= 230 hours
Field clinicals (Ambulance) = 200

Total = 910 hours or 23 weeks

Tom

JPINFV

Gadfly

By all means, feel free to provide a useful and professional reply instead of just an emoticon.

Edit:

Oh, and to expand on the "OTJ = bandaid" motif, why is EMS the only health care field with the fetish for requiring prior experience? RNs don't have to be CNAs first. Physicians don't have to be PAs first.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tom Perroni

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
By all means, feel free to provide a useful and professional reply instead of just an emoticon.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with you any longer.

Edit:

Oh, and to expand on the "OTJ = bandaid" motif, why is EMS the only health care field with the fetish for requiring prior experience? RNs don't have to be CNAs first. Physicians don't have to be PAs first.

I'm not sure why don't you tell us? Now we are comparing RN's PA's and MD's to EMT- Basics?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with you any longer.

Strange. You've never offered a response to any of my posts, so since you've never 'dealt' with me before, you can't refuse to "deal" with me any longer. The only reason I can think of is because you have no actual valid response to the arguments that I am putting forth.

I'm not sure why don't you tell us?
Now we are comparing RN's PA's and MD's to EMT- Basics?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

...because EMT is required to become a paramedic, and paramedics insist on being consider a profession. I reject the concept that EMTs lack the capability of making informed, professional decisions regarding their, albeit limited, interventions. Similarly, I reject the concept that someone can be trained to act and think with one mindset (follow the cookbookocol), and then turn around and teach them to think like professionals instead of technicians.

Apparently, at least in your mind, paramedics can't be compared to real health care professions.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well I was going to head to bed...but after reading this thread I feel as though I don't have the time nor the inclination for bed...please continue the conversation gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Well I was going to head to bed...but after reading this thread I feel as though I don't have the time nor the inclination for bed...please continue the conversation gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#watchingintently

Yup, I did it :D

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Tom, instead of ignoring my previous post completely could you at least reply?

On a different note, 900 hours total (classroom and clinicals) seems woefully inadequate for a paramedic program. We did more than that in clinicals alone.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Tom, I appreciate you staying on for what can hopefully be a productive discussion on various areas. I'm certainly interested in hearing your opinions, even if they differ from my own. It seems as though we have very different views of the profession. What are your thoughts on the paramedic degree programs that are becoming standard in places like Australia as the minimum to work on an ambulance? Would you agree that this increase in education requirements is what will ultimately help to push paramedicine to a true profession?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

There is no way that anyone can leave any program and be 100% perfect. You need OJT to mold you into what you will become in this field…And if you have a good preceptor your chances of being a good EMT are 10 fold.

My program is solid, my Instructors are solid, and my students are solid.

Baskin Robins has 31 flavors for a reason.

Tom

OJT and being precepted are entirely different, you have supervision during your preception. OJT is not OJT EMS, it is called gaining experience. YOu recieve the knowledge needed in class and then go experience it in the field. You don't learn about DKA as it unfolds infront of you, you have already learned everything about it and now you can experience it.

Baskin Robins huh? Atleast all their Flavours are good. And the real number of flavours is somewhere in the 300s.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Tom,
You are ready to defend your program but cannot provide simple numbers to a valid question. Are you hiding something? You came to this site and offered your program but when it is questioned you have a problem with it. As for you comment on OJT, I spent 6 months in class when I began in the 80's. I then spent an additional 4 months as a third man and we were only allowed to observe for the first 2. This gave all of us time to settle in the field, see some real world scenario's and see how things are supposed to be done. Every time we get newbies from schools such as yours I get a sickening feeling deep inside my gut. Why? Because they have no clue what it means to be an EMT. Defend your program all you like but until we get a REAL training program mandated nationally we will never get over the high turn over, lack of knowledge group of EMT's that enter the field today. These young men and women deserve more than a $1200.00 2 week class. They deserve an education.