Acadian SMS (Remote Medic)

RMTMedic

Forum Probie
National, State, BLS, ACLS. That is it. We don't have kids out here, and no pregos either.

Now if you want to maintain your alphabet soup, it puts you ahead of others, and looks good on your yearly review (increases your raise). I maintain every certification I can. I've never gotten below maximum on the certification portion of the review (that I know of).

RMTMedic

Forum Probie
You won't typically see pregnant oil field workers because of the danger of not being able to get them to shore if they go into labor. There may be days, when due to weather you can't get a patient in for 3 or 4 days. I've had to spend a extra 2 days at work because of weather. Imagine keeping a newborn or neonate alive for 2 days and no help because of weather.

Another point, most companies won't allow pregnant folks on the rig/ship/platform for liability issues. Also, most don't carry any pediatric/infant resuscitative equipment or OB kits.

jpotter

Forum Ride Along
How are the insurance benefits, expensive? Say I've been a medic for 5 years (civilian), prior to that a combat medic for 6 years to include a stint in Iraq (doing the exact same thing that you do on the oil rig....maybe a bit more).... am I likely to be offered the high side of the pay scale? Some companies start everyone at the same pay; I'm trying to make sure I don't get jacked on my experience. Also, what's the new hire training like (how long) and how do they pay you the same while going through new hire training? BTW....thanks for all of the honest info you've given us all here, it's been very helpful.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Acadoan has BC/BS. Not terrible, but better can be had.