A good life.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
For those of you who dont know, I recently within the past year completely changed me career to that of an emergency professional. Where I will go and what I will do is always uncertain, but I do know this:

On my way back from my first nighttime 30 minute transport, I saw a huge shooting star fall from the sky and I made a wish, but I knew the wish didnt matter. I knew it was a sign of good things to come, and that from now on, I would be waking up to a job I love and, for once, getting more than just an honorarium.

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
the best job is the one you'd do for free

hey there & congrats on your choice-
i changed into this field in my early 30's and it has been the most rewarding!

there has been more than one time during a transport or trip back to the station and it is an ungodly early hour of the morning and i've gotten to see the most amazing sunrises or full moon with clouds rising huge and white over the hills -- gorgeous views that i would have missed had someone not called 911 and woken me up from that precious sleep!

when the tones go off and i realize it is still dark...
dispatch gives me the old "general weakness" call...
i step outside the door of the station and before i get into the rig...
i take a deep breath/glance around...
and feel thankful i'm not the one with the emergency...
and amazed that i'm getting paid to do what i'd gladly do for free!

~kb

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
what a great passage.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I live for moments like that. It's nice to see others appreciate them too :)

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Thank Maria! Im happy for everyone who feels like me.

emtgirl_in_training

Forum Crew Member
thanks for posting that! i've wanted to say how much i love life, since i've signed up here, but felt kindda silly. within the past 4 to 6 months, since i've really dove in, head first, to this field, i've NEVER been happier. and that says a lot. so, LIFE IS GOOD! (and i say yes to shooting stars and little hints of the good to come):D

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
pfmedic said:
For those of you who dont know, I recently within the past year completely changed me career to that of an emergency professional. Where I will go and what I will do is always uncertain, but I do know this:

On my way back from my first nighttime 30 minute transport, I saw a huge shooting star fall from the sky and I made a wish, but I knew the wish didnt matter. I knew it was a sign of good things to come, and that from now on, I would be waking up to a job I love and, for once, getting more than just an honorarium.

I'm so happy for you :)

I'm in a very similiar position. Up until recently, I was a computer geek. As of March, I'm an EMT. Not just someone who passed NR, but an actual honest to god, gainfully employed EMT.

That being said, I know I'm an excited newbie... I'm doing my best to not be the wanker that so many describe. But I love it.... I've never been so excited to get up for work.

Bring on the sunrise baby :)

April