Bcez19

Forum Probie
I recently moved to Converse, TX (bout 10 min outside San Antonio) and I’m looking to see what departments run 911 in surrounding areas. Thank you in advance!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don’t know specifics but I know there are several city and county single role govt depts that run EMS out that way. I will do a little research when I get to my computer tonight

OP
OP
B

Bcez19

Forum Probie
I don’t know specifics but I know there are several city and county single role govt depts that run EMS out that way. I will do a little research when I get to my computer tonight
Thank you! We’re still getting all set up here and all I can seem to find fire runs the show. My ultimate goal is atcems but until I can get on, I need a job. I have experience running calls and working in a hospital but from what I’ve seen all the hospitals only hire paramedics and I’m an EMT.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Off the top of my head check out Hays San Marcos EMS. They tend to hire often and are a single role service. I’ll look more in a few

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What's single role service?
County or municipal EMS only. Also known as third service. Compared to fire based or all hazards type fire department based EMS

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
County or municipal EMS only. Also known as third service. Compared to fire based or all hazards type fire department based EMS

I don't really understand the difference. Are you saying they don't answer calls for fires or hazmat or anything?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I don't really understand the difference. Are you saying they don't answer calls for fires or hazmat or anything?

Not as primary responders, no. They'll go to those as medical support only. They do not actively mitigate those hazards

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Exactly. I work for a city EMS dept. completely separate from the city fire or police departments. I’m a city employee with all the benefits that come with it but I get to concentrate on what I am good at, EMS only.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Exactly. I work for a city EMS dept. completely separate from the city fire or police departments. I’m a city employee with all the benefits that come with it but I get to concentrate on what I am good at, EMS only.

But that sounds fun in a way? Maybe poor word choice, but it sounds interesting and engaging and STILL EMS.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Third Service EMS means your not working for the Fire Department but you're still a municipal City or County employee, not working for a private company.

You can still get dispatched to fires and hazmat, but you likely wont ne doing anything beyond medical in the cold zone.

We just changed our dispatch protocols so now an EMS ambulance and District Chief are auto dispatched on all confirmed working fires (it used to be they'd only be dispatched when fire discovered a patient, or otherwise actively requested EMS standby, now they're auto on 2nd alarm).

But since you're a municipal employee you get all the city benefits, medical, retirement, etc. Depending on the union may be as good as the fire and police guys, or may not. But it's a lot better than most private companies.

You can find single role spots at a fire department where you're still an EMT or Paramedic only, only staff the ambulances, dont have fire training, but are still employed by the FD. So that's not a Third Service, and often have limited growth potential in the admin side (i.e mo Chiefs positions or whatever). I did that once, was paid $15/hour, no benefits, non union, while the Firefighters got paid $75,000/year, full everything else.

Both models are civil service jobs, so you have all the hoops to jump through to get hired (apply, civil service written test, interview, background etc, some places are different in the exact process... but it's not like a lot of private companies where you walk in with a pulse and a patch and get the job within a week...)

OP
OP
B

Bcez19

Forum Probie
What's single role service?

So Converse fire responds and transports on medical calls. So they're firefighters and paramedics. Where as Austin Travis County EMS is only paramedics. They’re not both fire and ems. Austin is a single role service.