5.11 Boots

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone have any experiences with 5.11 Boots?

I've been looking at the ATAC series and the Taclite series and I was curious as to what people's thoughts were on this. I know the taclite are more breathable but how much so that they are $30 more expensive?

I've also heard that the ATAC waterproof ones are bloodbore pathogen resistant, but to be quite honest, I don't like the water proof boots in either series because of the way it defeats the purpose of the side zip! Anyone have any opinion of any of the 5.11 boots? Cost is a very minimal issue since the department is paying for these, but I thought I'd at least get a features comparison from others who might have worn them (only a couple of the guys at my station have 5.11 boots).

beefaroni

Forum Probie
From my experience 5.11's are less durable than the competitors.. I wont name any names. Dum dum dummmm

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I recently got rid of my ATACs. They've been the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I never noticed a problem with them being too hot (and I live in south Texas), though I know that's a common complaint.

My only complaint about those boots was that they wore out way too quickly. I used them for only a year, and the last two months was really stretching it.

I ended up switching to a pair of Haix since they are supposed to last longer. Not quite as comfortable, took a little wearing in/getting used to, but as of now I have no complaints and they're holding up great (only 4 months in).

If you get a yearly allowance that can support a new pair every year, I say go with 5.11. I can't offer a comparison to the taclite, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have the ATAC side zips you're talking about. Comfy, held up through a year of working 6-7 12 hour days a week and are still going strong. Polish up pretty nicely too. Never had a problem with them being too hot either.

Don't have any experience with a Taclite series so I can't comment on them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just switching to ATACs (three weeks ago) from Converse boots. Harder to break in, but really comfy now. Seem to be holding up good

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I don't recommend 5.11 boots or belts, the leather tends to wear out very fast. The belt I had from 5.11 had scuff marks at the buckle within a week, and the boots have tears in the leather at the toe of the boot that won't polish away. That being said they are comfortable so I still wear them, they just look awful.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
To clarify about my boots wearing out, the inner lining behind the heel and the sole directly beneath the heel completely wore out. The sole can be fixed by an insert, but the lining behind the heel was problematic.

Come to think of it, the leather on the toe did scruff off quite a bit. I didn't pay much attention because I never polished them (I've got a separate pair of dress boots that stay shiny).

So yes, great boots for about a year.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Most people posted that they wear out pretty quickly after a year, but this is a year of using them at your full-time job right? I volunteer about 4 shifts a month or so, less during the school year so perhaps they might be ok for what I'm using them for?

And our allowance looks to allow us to buy a pair of boots about every 2 years depending on how worm out your other uniforms get. Most guys get pants and shirts one year, and then boots and other accessories (hats, gloves, socks, underwear) the next.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yeah, full time 24/48 with the occasional 48s and part-time gigs. They get their use ;) For the amount of use you'd be getting out of them, I don't see why they wouldn't last at least 2 years

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Had the ATAC shields, they were ok, the leather separated from the rubber around the toe

Prefer the Bates GX-8

Also, this goes in the equipment forum

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Worn the same pair of ATAC side zips for 2 years and they still look good, sole still has plenty of tread. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Just got a pair of Taclites to try to deal with summer heat and so far they seem pretty good too.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I just got 5.11 ATAC Boots a few weeks ago. I love them because I can put them on in a hurry and I can wear my regular ankle socks with them. Hopefully they don't have some of the issues mentioned before. Although all shoes tend to wear out after frequent use.

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
I wasn't a fan of the 5.11 boots. I bought a pair of Danners and they are the BEST boots I've ever owned. Almost two years old and still comfortable.

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Bates GX-8 boots here. I tried both the 5.11 ATAC and the Bates GX8 but ended up with the Bates.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm wondering if I just got lucky with my ATACs after everyone saying they wear out quickly? 7 days a week 12 hours a day for nearly a year now with the majority being in the field in a high volume system with some being in-hospital during clinicals and mine are still going strong and still are as comfortable as ever. Granted I work single roll EMS so I'm not beating on them as hard as the fire guys do on their boots but they still get used.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I ended up getting the Taclite 5.11's in the 8" side zip and they are pretty good so far
(had 'em for about a week). The first day was rough b/c they were not broken in yet and my medial malleolus of my right ankle hurt after the mini-disaster we had with the wind and storm that came through but after that they've been pretty comfortable.

I'll let you know how the wear goes.

A point of caution: the traction on them sucks on aluminum plating, like the diamond plating covering some maintenance accesses. Holy crap do they slip and slide!

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Mine have lasted me over 2 years now, granted I am wearing them thin. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get another pair. The side zip is nice, and one of the reasons I haven't given Haix a shot yet.